Skip to main content

1983 Pichon Lalande

About a year ago, BHVineyard was passing through on a business trip and I opened a case of 1983 Pichon Lalande, the 2nd growth Bordeaux Chateau located in the Pauillac district which has an rmp rating of 94 points. It was difficult to break into that case, but the time had arrived.

I seem to remember that although it was excellent, it was upstaged by the 1990 La Conseillante, and a 1995/6 Mordoree which BHV had brought.

Anyway, last night I removed the 2nd bottle from the case and here are the results:

The cork was perfect, no compromise. The wine was beautiful with deep dark color of black/purple! This was somewhat surprising as I expected some sign of aging, but there was none; no amber or orange color rimming the glass, none at all.

The nose was spectacular, reminiscent of Chateau Margaux! Perfumed minerals and spices filled the glass. Could it compare to the 1982 Pichon??? Ummmm, absolutely not, but the nose was impressive! But where was that abundant fruit that was supposed to be supported by the nose? The taste was somewhat muted dark fruits but this was not the chewy, jammy juice that the nose had promised. Still, this was an impressive wine, perhaps not a parker 94, but definately a latour67 91 pointer.
Original Post