Wine Spectator Forums
Recipe for THICK Center Cut Pork Chops???

This topic can be found at:
http://forums.winespectator.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086097161/m/67760923

Nov 01, 2003, 08:30 PM
Rdanos
Recipe for THICK Center Cut Pork Chops???
I've got some one & half to one and & three quarter inch beauties.

i normally pan saute the thinner version, but these seem to deserve (and need) something more.

ideas?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Nov 02, 2003, 10:16 PM
Pauly
From the top of my head, one of my favourite ways to cook these sort of pork chops:

Put them in a baking tray that's just big enough to hold them.
Pour a 50-50 mix of white wine and chicken stock, just enough to cover the chops.
Season with sage and black pepper.
Put a layer of finely sliced backing apples over the chops. Season apples with some cinnamon.
Put a layer of sweet potato, sliced in 1/2" think roundels over the top. Brush the sweet potato with melted butter and top with a good grinf of black pepper.

Bake in an oven pre-heated to 180 degrees C for 40 minutes (? maybe an hour depending on the thickness of the chops).

------------------------------
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo - H G Wells
Nov 04, 2003, 06:32 PM
merris
If you don't mind pounding them thin, here is a favorite of mine. Pairs well with pinot noir or chardonnay if minimally oaked (think white Burg)

Hazelnut Crusted Pork Chops with Morel Sauce

1 1/2 ounces small dried morels
2 cups boiling water
1 cup hazelnuts
1/2 cup flour
2 eggs
Four 6-8oz pork chops pounded thin
salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup oil
2 TBSP unsalted butter
2 shallots, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 TBSP Cognac
3/4 cup heavy cream

1. Soak morels in the boiling water until softened (about 30 minutes) Rub to remove any grit, lift out of water and coarsely chop any large ones. Reserve the liquid.
2. Preheat oven to 350
Roast the hazelnuts until browned on a baking sheet. Let cool. Rub to remove skins and then coarsely shop. Pulse in food processor until they are a coarse powder.
3. Spread hazelnut powder in shallow bowl. I always use a pie plate. Put flour in another shallow bowl. In a third shallow bowel, beat the eggs with a fork.
4. Season the chops with salt and pepper. Dredge through flour, then egg then coat gently in the hazelnuts. Transfer to a platter.
5. In a large skillet, heat oil to a shimmer. Brown pork chops, about 3 minutes a side. You will likely need to work in 2 batches. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet and bake in oven for an additional 4-5 minutes until barely pink in center.
6. Meanwhile, wipe out skillet with paper towel. Melt butter. Over low heat, cook shallots until softened. Add garlic and cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes. Add cognac and light with a long match (be careful!) When flames die down, add morels. Slowly pour in the reserved morel soaking liquid, stopping when you get to the grit. (Just like decanting!) Simmer until reduced to about 1/2 a cup. Add the cream and simmer until thickened slightly. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Set the pork chops on plate and spoon morel sauce on and around them.

The modest water, awed by power divine, beheld its God and blushed into wine. - John Dryden
Nov 11, 2003, 09:05 AM
merris
Rdanos,
So how did you end up preparing these?
The suspense is killing me! Big Grin

The modest water, awed by power divine, beheld its God and blushed into wine. - John Dryden
Jan 12, 2004, 01:59 PM
merris
bump....

...I mean...I typed in that whole daggone recipe...

Jan 12, 2004, 04:30 PM
bez780
my self i would put them in an apple cider brine,
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cp k salt
apple cider
water mix all till clear let them soak in freg. 2 to3 hours the wash lightly pat dry
then you can cook them the way you like
grill low heat
oven with apples and the sweet pot sounds real good
saute them finish them in the oven! Big Grin
Jan 12, 2004, 04:48 PM
DJ Hombre
Brine 'em for 2 hours.

Sear 'em in a pan and toss 'em into an oven at about 450 or so for 4-6 minutes.

==================
AIM: Drunken Mariachi
Jan 12, 2004, 05:03 PM
Board-O
My choice would be to pan-sear them, remove them to a warming oven, and degalze the pan and create a sauce of your choosing. There are many possibilities.

Just one more sip.
Jan 12, 2004, 07:43 PM
bez780
didn't even look at the date of the post. oooops!!!! oh well Wink Wink
Jan 14, 2004, 04:00 PM
WineZap
Stuffed with mix of Prosciutto d' Parma, Parmesian and cheeses, black olives, Italian-style bread crumbs. Yellow/Red Bell pepper and mushroom/Madera sauce.

Made em' last night for dinner. Finshed leftovers today for lunch. Wonderful.
Jan 14, 2004, 04:42 PM
kybo
Just did a couple of 2+" loin chops last Friday - generous kosher salt and fresh-cracked pepper, pan sear in EVOO then into the oven on broil for about 6 mins.

Removed and covered w/foil to rest, then made a mushroom sauce in the skillet w/the drippings, beef stock, fresh sliced mushrooms, mushroom base, butter, and seasonings. All served on top of fontina cheese grits - delish!

"This wine should be eaten, it is too good to be drunk."
Jonathan Swift
Jan 14, 2004, 06:58 PM
DJ Hombre
What temp do you guys like your Pork? I prefer mine at Medium Rare, and love it when I get a ticket for a Pork - Medium Rare. Makes me feel all happy. Smile

==================
Jan 14, 2004, 07:44 PM
Board-O
Because center cut pork loin is so lean, it gets dry and tough when overcooked. I prefer it a little less than medium, though I don't know that I'd say quite medium rare. I guess the old fear of trichinosis still plays a part in that. The leaness of the meat lends itself to a myriad of sauces.

Just one more sip.
Jan 15, 2004, 03:56 AM
DJ Hombre
To freak out the dishwashers and mexican runners at work I'll eat it raw. Smile

Course, I'll eat damn near everything raw if it'll freak out somebody. Smile

==================
Jan 15, 2004, 08:40 AM
kybo
The chops I cooked were slightly pink all the way through, and still quite juicy and easy to cut. Like Board-O I prefer pork loins and chops to be somewhere between MR and medium.

Jonathan Swift
Jan 16, 2004, 09:15 AM
auto
stuffed with a crawfish, scallion, dijon, small amt of bread crumb, garlic mixture is awesome. Yummy. Sear each side in the pan, or broiler first, then cook about 35 mins.
Jan 18, 2004, 12:56 PM
DJ Hombre
Are you sure you cook it for 35 minutes under a broiler? That sounds a bit excessive.

==================
Jan 18, 2004, 08:51 PM
auto
broil to sear, then about 25-35 depending on your oven, I have a viking so it is pretty quick.
Jan 20, 2004, 10:37 AM
10 Buck kid
Cooked up a pair of the double cut boneless pork chops from Costco on Saturday night, you know, the ones as big as your fist! Stuffed them with fresh bread crumbs with sauteed shallots and finely diced proscuitto and a splash of chicken broth and melted butter. Tied the chops with butcher twine and brushed with EVOO and salt and pepper. Seared on the BBQ grill at medium for 5 minutes plus 2 for cross hatches and 4 on the 2nd side. PLaced them in an aluminum foil pan with the rest of the can of chicken stock some shallots and cloves of garlic with a healthy dose of dry vermouth. 20 minutes on low, which runs at about 400, served with a bottle of Thorn Clark Shiraz. Came out pretty good, although I think some marsala might have lent a nice accent to the meat along the lines of the apple cider that BEZ suggested. I will continue to tinker around with this but I was pretty happy for a first go round on the fly.

"...soon they'll be bleary eyed under a keg of wine, Down where the drunkards roll." Richard Thompson.
Jan 20, 2004, 12:44 PM
kybo
Wow - 25-35 mins. just seems like an awful long time to finish a pork chop (unless its 6" thick) in the oven. The one's I cooked (2 to 2-1/2" thick) a few weeks back were about 3-4 mins./side in the skillet then about 6-8 mins. in the oven set on broil (about 450-500 deg.). Perfectly light pink throughout, completely cooked, and juicy as all get out.

Jonathan Swift
Jan 26, 2004, 12:05 PM
cometspider
Brine your pork properly and dryness is not a factor even if you choose to cook the meat to a medium temperature. Like Bez posted, a brine using both salt and sugar is ideal for pork. (Best Recipe Grilling Cookbook)
Jan 26, 2004, 03:05 PM
DJ Hombre
what other kind of brine is there?

==================
Jan 26, 2004, 03:44 PM
cometspider
I brine turkey with a simple salt water soultion, no sugar. But, that's just me.
Jan 26, 2004, 04:00 PM
bez780
honey,
but that's just me
sauerkraut Big Grin
Jan 27, 2004, 12:01 AM
DJ Hombre
quote:
Originally posted by cometspider:
I brine turkey with a simple salt water soultion, no sugar. But, that's just me.

That's not a brine. that's salt water.

so what makes a brine a brine?

bez - what's your ratio of honey to salt? is it the same as sugar to salt? 1:1?

==================