WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    A recommendation of "Cellartracker!" to keep track of your wine.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A recommendation of "Cellartracker!" to keep track of your wine.
 Login/Join 
posted
I know that there have been some threads on the board discussing this website before; but, I thought I would add this new thread anyway. I am a little late to the scene having only started using this site to keep track of my wine collection within the last 2 months or so. However, in that time I have been very impressed with the speed and functionality of the site.

The site can be accessed at Cellartracker.com.

For now it is a free site through the end of 2005 (although donations are accepted). Eric LeVine who runs the site has recently made this his full time job. It is worth checking out.

VM

Posts: 12189 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We love Cellartracker. I would second the reommendation strongly.

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a better program out there for yourself, but its also interesting to see other's wine collections and the aggregate numbers for the site as well.

Posts: 1565 | Registered: Nov 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, this thread reminded me I should finish entering my wines...it is a GREAT site!

Posts: 2203 | Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had not taken inventory of my wine for over 2 years. I had assumed that I had about 600 bottles. After I entered all of my wine into the database I discovered I had about 825 bottles. When Cellartracker added up what I paid for all my wine I called my insurance agent.

VM

Posts: 12189 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wholeheartedly agree with the above recommendations. I have happily given money to Eric Levine to help support cellartracker. There are obviously expenses involved and I hope Eric can continue his excellent work there.

As for VM's last comments, they strike a note with me too. I just haven't called the insurance agent yet, but I will.

Go Habs Go

Posts: 5560 | Location: Chicago | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Created an account today Cool

Posts: 2259 | Location: Napa | Registered: Oct 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Cellartracker and think it's great. However, as I understand it, the owner just retired from Microsoft at around the age of 34 so I'm not sure he needs the donations! Must be nice...

Posts: 182 | Location: Olympia, Washington | Registered: Feb 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He has the skills to program a website. Has has the vision to make it available to the world. He has the charity to make it free for now. He has the guts to quit his job and see if he can make a living working for himself.

Must be nice.

Posts: 105 | Location: Chicago NW burbs, IL | Registered: Mar 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And anytime you ask a question, it is answered - usually within minutes! It is truly a great tool.

Visit my travel blog: http://www.floridakeysgirl.com

Posts: 1092 | Location: Key West | Registered: Feb 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Nightly:
He has the skills to program a website. Has has the vision to make it available to the world. He has the charity to make it free for now. He has the guts to quit his job and see if he can make a living working for himself.

Must be nice.

I obviously agree. I wish I had the money and knowledge to do the same. I think everyone agrees it is a great site.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Trigsdad,

Posts: 182 | Location: Olympia, Washington | Registered: Feb 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add me to the pile of VERY happy cellartracker users!!!!

Great job Eric!

TripDaddy Smile Smile Smile

Posts: 165 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree, it is a great program.

My only problem, and it has nothing to do with them - I do not stay on top of my inventory! After 6 months, it wasn't accurate for me and I only have 250 bottles or so. 800 bottles? forget it.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just spent the last two days putting my wines into CellarTracker. I strongly recommend the program.

My only gripe is that it looks like a Microsoft Programmer developed the site. Oh, he did =)

Seriously though, it's a nice program and I just need to find time to add notes and drinkability dates.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Naperville, IL | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been using it for about a yr. now. CellarTracker rocks! Eric keeps adding interesting options. Alot of "value" built into this program . . .

Cheers,
Blue Oval

Posts: 676 | Location: Naperville, IL | Registered: Oct 30, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the printable wine list he added. Looks really cool for dinner parties.

Posts: 7448 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Sep 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vino me

You told me you had some 600 bottles.

I believe there are some bottles of mine in Chicago that I still don't have.

Now I find out you have 800. Pretty suspicious.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Virginia Beach,VA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry I am late to the party on this thread, and thanks everyone for the very kind words. You have no idea how much satisfaction it brings me to see folks enjoying the software and using it to help enhance their wine hobby/habot.
quote:
Originally posted by Trigsdad:
I use Cellartracker and think it's great. However, as I understand it, the owner just retired from Microsoft at around the age of 34 so I'm not sure he needs the donations! Must be nice...

Hey, I'm actually 35. Wink

And while my parents keep telling their friends I am retired, nothing could be further from the truth. I'm working my butt off on the website, but I love every second of it!

CellarTracker is almost an accident, something I created just for my own use a couple of years ago. Then I showed it to some folks in my tasting group and they wanted to use it. Then someone posted on eBob. Then I got silly and decided to have a 'beta'. Anyway, one thing led to another and now my hobby is my triple-time obsession.

What I want to do is to create enough of a revenue stream that the site can continue long after I turn into dust, as a lot of folks are placing a lot of faith (and a lot of data) in the site.

I do want to keep the site very affordable for everyone, and the donations do help a lot in that regard.

Posts: 739 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by R2-D2:
My only gripe is that it looks like a Microsoft Programmer developed the site. Oh, he did =)

A bit of useless trivia: I was never actually a programmer at Microsoft but rather more of a project manager and feature designer. It happens that I do also like to write code, and the website is a great outlet in that regard.

I agree that the site was/is pretty nerdy and 'dense' in terms of user-interface design, but I do encourage you to check out the new beta which I think has a MUCH more intuitive and clean layout. I am still tweaking and probably about 2 weeks way from wrapping up the facelift, and I would love any feedback:

http://www.cellartracker.com/newui/home.asp (this may require you to re-enter your password)

Posts: 739 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well if my .02 is worth anything Cellartracker is a great site, just started using it this week and I am hooked. Way to go Eric.

pissing people off since 1971!

Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

Posts: 3475 | Location: oklahoma city, usa | Registered: Aug 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another recommendation here. Great site. I just finished loading my cellar onto this site, and am very impressed. Good job, Eric.

PH

Posts: 15009 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
how long did it take you to put your cellar in it ????
iam still working on it!!!!!!!

Posts: 3031 | Registered: Mar 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I *love* Cellartracker. It sates the stats-man in me among other things.

Posts: 3233 | Registered: Dec 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bez780:
how long did it take you to put your cellar in it ????
iam still working on it!!!!!!!

4 hours, 1 good bottle of Barbaresco. Hang in there bez!! Big Grin Razz

Oh....and type carefully. Most wines I owned were already in the database. If you find yourself having to manually input a wine completely you probably should check your spelling ( Razz ) Great site. I guess I'm gonna have to send Eric some $$.......

PH

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PurpleHaze,

Posts: 15009 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ph,
thanks
got over 250 in all ready!!!!!
now the other thing money what type of gift ? (how much)
Roll Eyes

Posts: 3031 | Registered: Mar 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post