WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    MD Direct Shipping Bill
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MD Direct Shipping Bill
 Login/Join 
posted
One of the new members of the MD Offline group, Habu World Tour, tipped me off to the fact that FINALLY, someone in the MD state legislature is proposing a change in the law to allow for direct shipping in MD.

For those of you who live in the 34 states that allow direct shipping of wine, it may seem incredible to you that it is a felony to ship into or receive a shipment of wine in the state of Maryland. Mad Roll Eyes Mad

Some details on the bill and sponsors are here, and a summary of the bill's contents is here.

I've requested the text of the bill from the sponsors' offices and will post it here when received. If you are a Marylander, this is something you should follow very carefully.

PH

Posts: 16319 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have dutifully written a letter to my local state senator. Both the senator and delagate who have co-sponsored the bill are from the Takoma Park area.

Posts: 42 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
*bump*

jfoobar - Where are you in MD? Come to an offline if you can manage it!

I just got an e-mail from Sen. Raskin, followed by one from his assistant. The bill has been submitted, and is in the process of being posted online in the next 48 hours or so. I'll post a link when I get it.

MD posters and lurkers, this is a chance to get our state out of the dark ages when it comes to wine shipping. DO NOT SLEEP ON THIS!!!!

PH

Posts: 16319 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have emailed as well to Sen. Raskin.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 8213 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well.....between the three of us, we should have a huge impact on this issue!! Razz

PH

posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the text of the bill. Is that not available somewhere online?

I think this thread segues nicely into the wine.com thread. If this bill happens, what you're going to have is a small group of wineries and retailers who are going to pny up the license fee and submit to Maryland's "revenuers." The rest of the wine world is going to ignore you. Then, of course, there are those who will seek to take advantage of the fact that the UPS guy isn't going to be able to know which retailers and wineries are up to date on their license and tax payments, so he'll deliver the wine anywhere.

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's about time Maryland came out of the dark ages and stepped into the 21 st century. I have written to all my Senators and reps as well as spoken with them face to face. Several months ago I did a barrell tasting with our Comptroller, Peter Franchot at a MD winery and he told a group of us that he was in favor of changing the law so that direct shipping of wine would be allowed in MD. Since the days of prohibition being repealed, the law was left in the hands of the state,....the Comptrollers office.If the bill does not pass then we will see how deep into the politicians pockets the liquor people are!

Posts: 1 | Registered: Feb 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wine-teacher,

that's what MICH did BEFORE the bill was past!!!!!

the Derroit Free Press did it for us and pushed the Bill!
Big Grin

Posts: 3031 | Registered: Mar 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the text of the bill will be available shortly, and I will endeavor to post a link to it.

Posts: 8213 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Later today or tomorrow, most likely.

The bill's sponsor is considering a big meeting (perhaps with a wine tasting) to plan strategy for getting this bill through. What do you think the chances are of them serving MD wine at the meeting? Eek Eek Will keep all posted.

PH

posted Hide Post
While I encourage us all to let our feelings known...don't get your hopes up.

I was in Annapolis in ECM (that's Economic Matters for you non-political types) the last time this bill was introduced. I will give you a brief quote from the testimony "Why should we turnover an entire distribution system just to please a few rich, spoiled brats"?

Did you all read just how strangely the MD domestic wine producer's distribution bill was worded a couple of year's back? I'm sure you can easily guess why the law was so carefully constructed. THAT bill speaks volumes about the power of the wholesaler's lobby and just how distant the prospect of direct shipping is for Marylanders. Frown Mad

Posts: 883 | Location: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used the "free the grapes" website about a year ago but never heard anything back from the representatives that it emails.

Also, I'm not sure if this bill is different but there are a few wineries that are currently able to ship to MD using 3rd tier distributers. Copain and Carlisle are among them. For those in Montgomery County, this doesn't make getting wine any easier since the county needs to take delivery of the wine from the distributer. I end up getting mine shipped to a wine store near my sister in Baltimore.

Posts: 2 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD | Registered: Nov 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nearly every bill in MD gets killed for the first year or two.
We have an incredibly conservative legislature, which moves in incremental steps. (Except for tax increases).
Comet Spider---the rich spoiled brats are the distributors and the stores.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Comet Spider---the rich spoiled brats are the distributors and the stores.

Amen, Brother Irwin.

Posts: 42 | Location: Maryland | Registered: Dec 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

I am in the Bowie area.

Yes, I thought about trying to go to the CdP event you folks had recently but that was a bad weekend for me.

posted Hide Post
OK:
The bill in the Senate is SB 616. The full text is still not available, but here is the link where it will be:
http://mlis.state.md.us/2008RS/billfile/sb0616.htm
I am sure the bill text will be available in the not too distant future. If you go to the General Assembly website you can figure out who your delgates are, and who your senators are. The most important thing is to get the bill voted favorably in the committee, so you need to check the Committee roster and see who you know.
Here is the website of the General Assembly:
http://mlis.state.md.us/#bill
I am sure the House version will be forthcoming.
Interestingly, the Senate version is co-sponsored by some of the most liberal members and also Senator Nancy Jacobs, who is rather right wing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jfoobar:
quote:

I am in the Bowie area.

Yes, I thought about trying to go to the CdP event you folks had recently but that was a bad weekend for me.

Keep an eye on the boards. We'd love to have you make it to one soon!

PH

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
First reading - MD Senate Bill 616.

PH

quote:
From the Bill:
(B) A DIRECT WINE SHIPPER MAY NOT:
(1) SHIP MORE THAN 24 9–LITER CASES OF WINE ANNUALLY TO ANY ONE INDIVIDUAL

there goes my ordering 25 cases of Screaming Eagle from one distributor...

A quick read-through and it seems very straight-forward. Thanks for posting it, PH.

“Drink wine. This is life eternal. This is all that youth will give you. It is the season for wine, roses and drunken friends. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” - Omar Khayyam

Posts: 1940 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't see much to not like, from any perspective. Even the part where I have to pay MD sales tax is OK with me.... Wink Considering the extra expense of driving to my enabler, it's pretty much of a wash.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, I don't see much to not like, from any perspective. Even the part where I have to pay MD sales tax is OK with me.... Wink Considering the extra expense of driving to my enabler, it's pretty much of a wash.

PH

The only way this would have a chance at being voted into law is by including some sort of kickback to the state...which, I agree with your point, is fine by me.

I can see it now: "this bill would provide $xx,xxx,xxx in sales tax revenue for state education...do it for the kids"

I should be a lobbyist.

“Drink wine. This is life eternal. This is all that youth will give you. It is the season for wine, roses and drunken friends. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life.” - Omar Khayyam

Posts: 1940 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine-teacher:
If the bill does not pass then we will see how deep into the politicians pockets the liquor people are!

True dat.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Schu:
For those in Montgomery County, this doesn't make getting wine any easier since the county needs to take delivery of the wine from the distributer.

Montgomery County is truly a backwater for fine wines. Mad I'm wondering how, even if this bill ever gets passed, they will find a way to screw it up.

Where are you in G'burg, Schu? I've lived in and around the area for many years.

Oh........and work on your post count, willya? Wink Razz

PH

posted Hide Post
Montgomery County is truly a backwater for fine wines. Mad I'm wondering how, even if this bill ever gets passed, they will find a way to screw it up.

Where are you in G'burg, Schu? I've lived in and around the area for many years.

Oh........and work on your post count, willya? Wink Razz

OK, this wasn't directed at me, but I understand I need to get my count up as well. Yes, Montgomery County truly is backwards - I know the owner of a nice French restaurant in the county - he has wine woes for sure (though his wine list is pretty good). I have a relative in N VA so I can get stuff shipped there but it is a hassle.

BTW - thanks for the suggestion to check out MacArthur's a month or so ago. First time I went there I dropped way too much money but they have a nice selection and a good staff. I was happy to find a case of 2005 Vieux Telegraphe CdP at what I thought was a decent price, got that squirreled away for many years.

PH[/QUOTE]

Posts: 26 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool

MacArthur's is a good place.

What restaurant does your friend own?

PH