WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Tasting Notes    '59 Château Latour Pauillac
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

'59 Château Latour Pauillac
 Login/Join 
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted
From half bottle, and in perfect condition. Very supple entry, with currant and cassis fruit carried by ultra-silky tannins. Long, refined finish echoes with tobacco and cedar. Puts on weight in the glass too, with prune and coffee hints filling out the bass line. Simply gorgeous. 98 points.

--JM

Posts: 1234 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Oct 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly, this was one of the bottles recomended to me by Board-O,
thanks for the note!

Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct, Serge.

James, I love the 1959 vintage, maybe even moreso than 1961. The Margaux, Mouton, and Latour have all been amongst the very finest wines I've ever had. The Calon-Segur, believe it or not, was their equal and possibly better than the other First Growths. I have only two bottles remaining from this great vintage, both of which I've had twice in the past. They are the Mouton and the Latour. Both bottles are in the coolest part of my cellar and have excellent fills with no sign of cork comprise. When would you suggest I drink them to catch them at their absolute apogee? Thanks in advance.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37078 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
"Recommended"? Recommending the '59 Latour is sort of like telling someone to check out the Louvre, because they have a few good paintings there... Wink

--JM

Posts: 1234 | Location: New York, NY | Registered: Oct 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
Board-O: Suckling probably has better recent experience with the other '59s - but I'd guess with the Latour at its peak (though with no signs of fading) that the others would be on the same path...

--JM

posted Hide Post
OK. I understand it doesn't take any wine knowledge to recommend a Latour from a great year (though the 1953 was a disappointment). I've been called an idiot much more directly! Smile

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37078 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Molesworth:
"Recommended"? Recommending the '59 Latour is sort of like telling someone to check out the Louvre, because they have a few good paintings there... Wink

James,
the next time I sit on $37,000 with no place to go and
$250,000 WINE LIST TO CHOSE FROM,
I'll ask you.

But...somehow, Board-O returns my e-mails faster, even when he is very busy.

Not all of us that lucky like you to KNOW what to buy, especialy on the limited $37,000 budget.

Thank you once again, Board-O

Posts: 3576 | Location: Florida | Registered: Jun 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JM,
Thanks for the great note and the spot on wit! Big Grin

Posts: 5257 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jun 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reverend, what's in it for you, besides stalking Board-O?

You never had it, you'll never have it, and all your preachings fall on deaf ears.

But...if James Molesworth uses your "tastes like fresh drawn blood" in one of his notes,
he should send you a bottle as a token of his apreciation, 'fo real.

posted Hide Post
James, I have only one bottle of the 1959 Latour and the fill has dropped from hi to mid shoulder. I was trying to hold out till 2009, but I'm thinking it must be opened soon.

I have not had many wines where the level has dropped so low. Do you have any thoughts about the chances, considering the fill level, of it still being a 98 point wine?

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
latour, any sign the cork is compromised?

Just one more sip.

Senior Editor
Wine Spectator

posted Hide Post
Once the fill level drops, it's a gamble. It could be a 98 pointer, it could be more advanced and with less power. There is no formula for predicting that.

As long as it has been stored well though, you have a better chance of a great exeperience. And as Board-O mentioned, it depends on the cork as well...

--JM

posted Hide Post
No, there is no sign of cork compromise, no drops, no leakage, just ullage. But I think I must open this bottle very soon.

This is only one of two bottles that I have with significant ullage. The other is a 1935 Simi Zin which was probably dead when I received it in 1968!

Posts: 7863 | Location: Germantown, Tennessee | Registered: Oct 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
But I think I must open this bottle very soon.

Good luck with it. My lone bottle of 1961 Latour started oozing in 1987 and I opened it that week. It was madeirized and we dumped it. Frown

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Ouch! Losing a 61 Bordeaux is a tragedy, especially a Chateau Latour! Meanwhile, I fear my 1959 Latour will also be a dud.

posted Hide Post
Not necessarily. I've had some old Bordeaux with mid and high shoulder fills that were truly great wines.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
I'll probably open it sometimes later this month, and I'll be sure to post the tasting, or dumping notes!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
You are correct, Serge.

The Calon-Segur, believe it or not, was their equal and possibly better than the other First Growths.

TOTALLY agree!

One of the best wines I have ever enjoyed. A smile on my face just thinking about it. Thanks. Big Grin

Posts: 30367 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
w+a, there were so many great wines from the 1959 vintage! When we opened the Calon-Segur, I was utterly amazed by the wine. I'd have to check my notes, but I believe it's in my all time top 10. Even less highly regarded wines were excellent. We had the Nenin from magnum and loved it. The only disappointment for me was the Palmer which didn't live up to the hype. Maybe ours was an off bottle.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by latour67:
No, there is no sign of cork compromise, no drops, no leakage, just ullage. But I think I must open this bottle very soon.

This is only one of two bottles that I have with significant ullage. The other is a 1935 Simi Zin which was probably dead when I received it in 1968!

I think you should open it soon also! Like at our next offline.

Posts: 956 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
max---I'm really considering your suggestion! Or, this might be another candidate for WineBid.

I will say that it is difficult to open any bottle that has become a fixture in your cellar and especially one with so much history. Still, it is only fermented grape juice! Smile

posted Hide Post
Latour67, I'm willing to help if you choose Winebid. I'm also willing to help if you choose offline! I recently shipped a few of the W.H. Smith Maritime pinots to Winebid. The reserve is either $160 or $150 a bottle for these!

Posts: 956 | Location: Olive Branch, Mississippi | Registered: Nov 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
max --- Good Grief, $160 for W. H. Smith Maritime? I just bought two bottles of Smith Maritime in Utah last month, and they were consumed within a week. I think they were $43 or $45! My bad. It is a nice Pinot, but not $160 nice!

As for the 1959 Latour, since I have concerns about its quality, I'm not going to sell it. Besides, with so much ullage, it wouldn't bring top dollar, and somebody would feel awful if it was a "bad bottle of fermented grape juice"! Eek

posted Hide Post
I had this one week ago last night,

I was having heart palpitations just opening this bottle along with others. Unfortunately, this bottle did not live up to others I have had.

I'm thinking provenance perhaps (not my bottle) as the wine just never became as expressive as others I have enjoyed. Still very solid overall, but a touch flat.

As a friend said, if this bottle is the worse of the night (all '59's & '29's) life is good. Cool

Posts: 30367 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post