WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    SUVs: Anyone drive a Land Rover LR3 or a 4Runner?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SUVs: Anyone drive a Land Rover LR3 or a 4Runner?
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking at buying a SUV and have it down to Land Rover LR3 and Toyota 4Runner.

I hear terrible things about the Land Rover reliability..but it's mostly from people who haven't ever owned one and have just "heard" about someone who had a lot of problems. Anyone here have either SUV ? How do you like it? I have driven them both and much prefer the style and ride of the LR3...but again, would prefer to avoid the headache of constant repairs.

By the way- it's between a Certified-Pre-owned LR3 (2007 with <20k miles, warranty to 75k miles) vs. a new 4Runner (2008).

Posts: 986 | Location: New Haven, CT | Registered: Aug 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sarbuze-

Regarding the LR: Throw me in the pile with 'never owned one', however being ITB (on the engineering side) and dealing often with Ford, the inside story is that there's a real issue with their transmissions.

An expensive 'issue' if this happens to you.
I like the vehicle. But I'd think thrice.

Don't know much about Toyota's products from the inside.

On a side note: I'd think anyone even considering an SUV in this market should find some real deals.
Let the carbon footprint be on your conscience. Razz

Posts: 15563 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You should fine good deals. Given the economy and the its high carbon footprint, you'd probably find deals.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6613 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sarbuze

if you want, give me your email and i can pass you along to a Landrover enthusiast who has owned both... and currently owns a 4Runner Wink

Posts: 4215 | Location: Southern Calif | Registered: Jul 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kumazam:
sarbuze

if you want, give me your email and i can pass you along to a Landrover enthusiast who has owned both... and currently owns a 4Runner Wink

Sarbuze, what is wrong with you?

Posts: 3721 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty simple. If you want a "vanilla" SUV, with excellent reliability, above average resale value and a superior dealer network, the Toyota is your choice.

If you're looking for a less reliable SUV, with lower resale, a good dealer network, but a vehicle that actually has a personality, the LR3 is the way to go.

PH

Posts: 15216 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Pretty simple. If you want a "vanilla" SUV, with excellent reliability, above average resale value and a superior dealer network, the Toyota is your choice.

If you're looking for a less reliable SUV, with lower resale, a good dealer network, but a vehicle that actually has a personality, the LR3 is the way to go.

PH

I gotta' say, PH.
I think ya actually nailed it. Wink
That pretty much sums it up.

Posts: 15563 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

PH

I gotta' say, PH.
I think ya actually nailed it. Wink
That pretty much sums it up.
That's why we bought our 4 door Jeep Wrangler (the latter reason). For more anectodal advice, I have a close friend who has had an LR3 for 3 years with no major issues, he still loves the thing, it's great offroad if you're so inclined, and its still a very nice looking vehicle.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a pic - certainly nice looking...but I'm not referring to the vehicle

here

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3247 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chilepepper:
Here's a pic - certainly nice looking...but I'm not referring to the vehicle

here

How can I test drive it? And I'm not talking about the car blah blah Razz

_________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 3147 | Location: Cowboys Stadium | Registered: Feb 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Range Rover is the "in" SUV for the Palm Beach soccer moms, it seems. You see them all over the place.

Posts: 6488 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sarbuze? What happened to the FJ? Frown

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7675 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
Sarbuze? What happened to the FJ? Frown

That wasn't me who had the FJ, it was Jfoobar (wherever he's been!).

Mareff: "Sarbuze, what is wrong with you?"

Huh?

Just looking for car buying advice!

Posts: 986 | Location: New Haven, CT | Registered: Aug 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
That's why we bought our 4 door Jeep Wrangler (the latter reason).

This vehicle definately does have personality.
It's the opposite spectrum from the LR, certainly.

Loved the Jeep so much, I owned a Wranger (TJ) for several years (200k miles), until I rolled it on the 401 one January evening when the road went black ice.

Went for the Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Overland and absolutely loved it, but the 5.7L Hemi was a complete gas pig.

(sorry for the thread drift, sarbuze)

posted Hide Post
Yeah we love our Wrangler Unlimited (JK), its great in the summer with the top off and can't be beat in the snow or muck.

To get it back on topic (kinda), we're actually considering selling the jeep and picking up a lightly used Range Rover (as opposed to the LR3). Land Rover as a brand does not seem to hold their resale value particularly well so why not pick up a 3 year old $100k+ vehicle for $40k. They have almost the same offroad prowess as the jeep but obviously offer quite a bit more in terms of refinement and luxury.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah we love our Wrangler Unlimited (JK), its great in the summer with the top off and can't be beat in the snow or muck.

To get it back on topic (kinda), we're actually considering selling the jeep and picking up a lightly used Range Rover (as opposed to the LR3). Land Rover as a brand does not seem to hold their resale value particularly well so why not pick up a 3 year old $100k+ vehicle for $40k. They have almost the same offroad prowess as the jeep but obviously offer quite a bit more in terms of refinement and luxury.

As I mentioned my only cars up to this point were jeeps (YJ with a lift kit, Cherokee, then a 2005 TJ)- I love them.

But, I want something with a bit of a smoother ride and some nice luxury features. That said, the LR3 (or Range) is more than capable (the dealership I went to had a rock course and took me on it- wow is it amazing what those things can do stock).

I haven't made a decision yet, but because of the lost resale value, it's very enticing to get a 2006/7 LR3 at less than half the cost of it new- I am not concerned with resale beyond that since I'll have it for at least 3-4 years!

Dunder: Glad to see we think alike!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sarbuze:

Mareff: "Sarbuze, what is wrong with you?"

Huh?

Just looking for car buying advice!

sorry I am crunch nut, cannot stand those oversized heaping scraps of metal on the roads.

Posts: 3721 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
sorry I am crunch nut, cannot stand those oversized heaping scraps of metal on the roads.

"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad." - Eric Cartman

posted Hide Post
We considered buying the 4-door Jeep when we just got here in Oman. But decided against it because it is only available in automatic (here at least) which is useless in the desert. A friend of us who has one of those ended up with a burning clutch during a desert trip... Roll Eyes

We now have a 2-door Wrangler Limited from 1993. It's great off-road. No comfort, no luxury, but a fantastic toy car.

--------------
For those in the Middle East: http://muscatdeli.blogspot.com

Posts: 1518 | Location: Muscat, Oman | Registered: Nov 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mareff:

"Hippies. They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad." - Eric Cartman

Cartman needs to squeeze his fat ass into some type of vehicle, I guess an SUV will do. I hope that others also are not following the same logic.

posted Hide Post
mareff: gotcha! I have to say that I am all for more fuel efficient vehicles and would love a Prius, but I have 3 large dogs and do a lot of traveling with them. I also do a lot of skiing, hiking, etc that requires me to carry a lot of gear with the dogs in the vehicle- a car is out of the question.

A more fuel efficient SUV would be OK, but the prices on the hybrid SUV's are very high at this point.

And hey, at least I'm not looking at a Ford Excursion or Lincoln Navigator..or a Hummer!! Smile

posted Hide Post
I find a larger SUV makes it much easier for me to get over to the annual seal hunt, them roads is slippery.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dunder,

posted Hide Post
quote:
I find a larger SUV makes it much easier for me to get over to the annual seal hunt, them roads is slippery.

True- and you can pack more clubbed-baby seals in the back where the 3rd row seating folds down Smile

posted Hide Post
When save the planet libs start to commit suicide to decrease their carbon footprint then I'll start to take them seriously. Until then they are hypocritics who need to worry about themselves and stop trying to meddle in others affairs.

I'm joking, but only a little.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VT2IT:
When save the planet libs start to commit suicide to decrease their carbon footprint then I'll start to take them seriously.

I thought that was already being done. Didn't I hear of something called The Lemming Project?

Posts: 2311 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post