WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    What are you reading?
Page 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... 52
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Threat Vector - Tom Clancy

Posts: 3132 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
McPherson Battle Cry of Freedom again

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3468 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just finished The Big Short, Michael Lewis

Posts: 279 | Location: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Aug 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Acts of Faith by Eboo Patel.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1897 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Fellowship of the Ring

Every few years I have to break out Tolkien and re-read them.

Posts: 6445 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:

How is it? Thinking of buying for iPad

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6295 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:

If you like Clancy, you'd probably like this. I enjoyed it and thought it was worth the read.

Posts: 3573 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:

If you like Clancy, you'd probably like this. I enjoyed it and thought it was worth the read.

Ditto. Finished last night - Kindle edition. A very good Clancy book and one I had trouble putting down. I'm going to seek out more by his co-author.

Posts: 3132 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
The Fellowship of the Ring

Every few years I have to break out Tolkien and re-read them.

Ditto - although I have grown to love the Harry Potter series more.

Posts: 5918 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Better Off Without Em by Chuck Thompson
You southern boys ought to skip this one (or buy all of the books and burn them). Totally skewers the South for race, relegion, politics, college football, and just about everything southern. His premise is the country would be better off if we'd let you seceeded. Roll Eyes

Rage rage against the dying of the light

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite Bay, CA | Registered: Nov 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Magnificat Year of Faith Companion.

Posts: 9414 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An Edge in the Kitchen by Chad Ward....a good knife geek book.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5678 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My interest in the American Civil War has been piqued again recently. I just finished a book on Shiloh, read some of McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom again (this is really one of the best history books I've read), and am now starting on a series of battle books about the overland campaign in 1864 on a long, long trip I'm taking.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3468 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Working my way through The Two Towers

Anyone care to guess what my next book will be?

Razz

Posts: 6445 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The River Of Doubt by Candice Millard

What a great book... I highly recommend it.

Posts: 184 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: Sep 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
warded man by peter brett

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11958 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes

Posts: 10038 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How to retire happy, wild and free.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Scottsdale AZ/Midway UT | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The day of battle - the war in Sicily and Italy '43-44, Atkinson. Brutal stuff.

Posts: 1078 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jabe11:

An Army at Dawn was really good, but I didn't care for this one much. Not sure I'm motivated to read the last one now.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
Age of Voltaire.

Only death is free, and even that costs you your life

Posts: 1905 | Registered: Apr 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:

An Army at Dawn was really good, but I didn't care for this one much. Not sure I'm motivated to read the last one now.

Agreed the first is better, but it will not preclude me from reading the third.

Posts: 1078 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Charles Rosen
A Short Companion to Beethoven's Piano Sonatas

Pretty interesting. If you don't know what the tonic, dominant, and subdominant are, you're probably going to have a rough time of it as he assumes his readers (lectures given to piano students) know a fair bit of music theory.

If I'd known that Andras Schiff's lectures on the sonatas were online I probably wouldn't have bought this.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:

Agreed the first is better, but it will not preclude me from reading the third.

One of the things I liked most about the first one was the kind of global political backdrop to what was going on, especially the stories about Churchill and Roosevelt. If you liked that about the book, you might look into getting your hands on _The Burma Campaign_ by McLynn (I think?). A lot of that is around the personalities of the local commanders and their interactions with their bosses and Chiang Kai-Shek. Fascinating.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
I looked for the burma book and the civil war history you mentioned up above and...was hesitant to buy as we have an iPad, and both were for other proprietary reader devices (nook and Kindle). I guess all it takes is a few bucks to buy one test it, but i still paused nonetheless...silly, i guess. I'm still not sold on a digital reader; a hard copy is much more comfort in hand.