WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    What are you reading?
Page 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... 51
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you reading?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
John A. (Macdonald) The Man Who Made Us by Richard Gwyn

Posts: 9643 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Colonel Roosevelt by Edmund Morris

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mneeley490,

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6605 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hemingway's Boat - can't remember author of the top of my head.

Just finished Colter, by Rick Bass. Great book for a bird hunter or dog lover in general.

Posts: 825 | Registered: Feb 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frank McLynn _The Burma Campaign_

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3352 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Prophet of Modern Architecture, ( Louis Sullivan.)

Posts: 29534 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

You've done the architecture tours on your trips to Chicago?

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3352 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
starting The Quest by Daniel Yergin. May take a while...long book.

Posts: 1195 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aphilla:
quote:

Oh, indeed!

SOM was a client of mine years ago.

Posts: 29534 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, indeed!

Nice. I've done the Frank Lloyd Wright things but not the downtown tours. They are on my list of things to do.

I was into it a little more when Helmut Jahn was building things around here - I guess that's been awhile.

- Milton

posted Hide Post
My girlfriend won tickets for the architectural cruise on the Chicago river a few years ago. We enjoyed it greatly, taking off from Navy Pier. Well worth it if you are downtown.

Posts: 5126 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have a client that has won the ugliest building award several times on the architectural cruise. ( General Growth building) Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Just finished "Inside Scientology". Weird folks, and dangerous, in my view.
Next on the agenda....I want to read Douglas Brinkley's biography of Teddy Roosevelt. I also hear there is a new biography of Zachary Taylor, written by E.B. Smith, who was a professor of mine at the U of MD more than 35 yrs ago.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 6937 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I also have a client that has won the ugliest building award several times on the architectural cruise. ( General Growth building) Big Grin

I walked by it twice today. Now that you mention it, I can see how it might get an "award" like that?

- Milton

posted Hide Post
Found a lot of Christmas gift ideas here.

Posts: 825 | Registered: Feb 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Oh, indeed!

Nice. I've done the Frank Lloyd Wright things but not the downtown tours. They are on my list of things to do.

I was into it a little more when Helmut Jahn was building things around here - I guess that's been awhile.

I use to give the CAF downtown tour for a number of years when I lived in Chicago. It's worth taking the tour to see the Frank Lloyd Wright remodel of the lobby of the Rookery--and of course the Rookery. The amazing, no internal steel frame, Monanock Building. Other favorites--Chicago Board of Trade with Jahn addition, especially if you can get to the 11th (?) floor, Fischer Building, Mies' Federal Buildings and mini-plaza, the interior the the Marquette building, etc., etc.

Also highly recommend doing the Graceland Cemetery tour. Not only are many of the great Chicago architects buried there--Louis Sullivan, Daniel Burnham, John Root and Mies Van der Rohe. But some of the monuments are also designed by architects. The most important is the Mausoleum designed by Louis Sullivan--a first hint of modern architecture.

Final trick question, what's the tallest building in the loop?

Posts: 1217 | Location: Carlsbad, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:

Alright, I'll bite. Since the Willis Tower is the tallest building in the United States, and it is located in the Loop, I'll say the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower).

Posts: 3428 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Cabernet:

Alright, I'll bite. Since the Willis Tower is the tallest building in the United States, and it is located in the Loop, I'll say the Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower).

I think that was the "trick," tlv. I imagine most people not from the area would still remember it as Sears Tower.

PH

Posts: 14640 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I think that was the "trick," tlv. I imagine most people not from the area would still remember it as Sears Tower.

PH

I've lived here my whole life and will always think of it as the Sears Tower. I don't know anyone who ever calls it the Willis Tower. I do hear Willis Tower occasionally on TV or radio, and I have to stop and think about what they're talking about.

Posts: 3428 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't consider the Sears Tower to be in the Loop, maybe that is his "trick". I consider the Loop to encompass the L train (which creates the "loop"). Taking that into account, I think it might be the Chase building.

Posts: 2791 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
I don't consider the Sears Tower to be in the Loop, maybe that is his "trick". I consider the Loop to encompass the L train (which creates the "loop"). Taking that into account, I think it might be the Chase building.

Yes, the former First National Building at, I think, 66 stories. One of my favorite things to do on my tours was to have everyone walk up to the building and turn around with their back to it. I would then quote Louis Sullivan that a tall building "should be a tall and soaring thing" and have then turn around and look up. The swoop of the building pulls your eyes upward to the sky. It was fun to hear the reactions.

Posts: 1217 | Location: Carlsbad, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

PH

I've lived here my whole life and will always think of it as the Sears Tower. I don't know anyone who ever calls it the Willis Tower. I do hear Willis Tower occasionally on TV or radio, and I have to stop and think about what they're talking about.

It will always be the Sears Tower. It's kind of like Wright's houses are always known by their first owners. Building are not the same, but it often feels right.

posted Hide Post
I just loved how the president of Willis at the time called it "The Big Willie" when they first signed the lease and got the naming rights!

In Canada? Really? Duties in?

Posts: 2009 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
I just loved how the president of Willis at the time called it "The Big Willie" when they first signed the lease and got the naming rights!

Eek

posted Hide Post
Since Sears keeps threatening to move their HQ from Illinois, maybe I'll start calling it the Willis. Wink

Posts: 5126 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading Between the Wines by Terry Theise.

Posts: 9274 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post