Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is John Galt?
 Login/Join 
posted
Sorry - couldn't help myself. I'm sitting here having a glass of wine and enjoying one of the most dangerous books ever written...

"I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine." --John Galt

Why ask useless questions? How deep is the ocean? How high is the sky? Who is John Galt?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Golf&PinotNut,

-----------------------
Je ne peux pas penser à une signature intelligente

Posts: 3110 | Location: ATL, GA | Registered: Jan 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Incredible book!

Maybe if all wines were given the same score...

Posts: 857 | Location: Baltimore, MD, USA | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If all wines were given the same score, 99% of "wine lovers" wouldn't know what to drink.

They'd be paralyzed!

At this point, without critics and 100 point scales, people would only have price to fall back on when telling people what they like.

Come to think of it, we basically kind of have that system now. Wink

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1286 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I see opportunity here. I don't have a flack jacket handy, so I'll keep it light.

"Dangerous book"

Like Das Kapital- meaning- "wrong headed", with one huge difference. Many people took Das Kapital seriously.

Posts: 2286 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried to get into the novel three or four times. About halfway through I give up. Maybe I should try again....

Romeo and Juliet are together in eternity....

SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS - 2010 and 2012 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Posts: 9635 | Location: Elk Grove, CA, USA | Registered: Dec 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loved it. Although I didn't read it, I listened to it on audio book.

Rule One: Obey all rules! Second, do not write on the walls...as it takes a lot of work...to erase writing...off of walls."

Posts: 244 | Location: Missouri | Registered: Sep 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Now I'm gonna have to seek it out and read it. I was an english major from the university of iowa. Graduated in 1987. when you use the word dangerous..ooh Razz

Posts: 9400 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
I was an english major from the university of iowa.

Was the class on capitalization an elective? Big Grin

- Jeff

Posts: 234 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: Apr 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
liked fountainhead better

Posts: 231 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"A 'classic' is a book that everyone wants to have read, but no one wants to read."
Mark Twain

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6764 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Down the road from where there is a shopping mall called "John Galt Center" It is in the former city of Galt which merged with 2 other towns, Preston and Hespeler to become Cambridge Ontario. For those of you unfamiliar with the area it's about 60 miles west of Toronto.

Posts: 147 | Location: Buffalo NY  | Registered: Sep 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
John Galt also founded the city of Guelph, which is basically next door to Cambridge.

Posts: 10841 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not a gamer, but one of my associates at work almost lives in the virtual world. He just played a game on his PC called "Bioshock," which he says is derived from the story of John Galt and what the world would be like had all the "producers" in the world left to form a 'utopia' on the bottom of the sea.

He loved the game.

Has any one else encountered this product?

*Not a gamer disclaimer: I can play Tetris on the computer, and Mariokart Double Dash with my kids on the Gamecube.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1286 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post