WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    I know, dinosaurs....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I know, dinosaurs....
 Login/Join 
posted
I gotta tell ya, Neil Young's "Psychedelic Pill" is in his top 5; and Van Morrison's "Born to Sing, No plan B" is in his top five.

I give both 5 stars.

To make the eval more complete, my top five by each:

No particulate order for Neil...

Psyhcdelic Pill

Le Noise

Harvest Moon

Harvest

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

For Van...

It starts with Moondance (it captured my brain the day I found it.)

2-5 would include....

Born to Sing, No Plan B

Too Long in Exile

Days Like This

Beautiful Vision

_

I hope you enjoy "Psychedilic Pill,"l it's a Crazy Horse album. And "No Plan B" is as smooth as Tupelo Honey.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1294 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:
For Van...

It starts with Moondance (it captured my brain the day I found it.)

2-5 would include....

Born to Sing, No Plan B

Too Long in Exile

Days Like This

Beautiful Vision

_

I'll give you Moondance as #1. But, Astral Weeks surely has to be #2 and Tupelo Honey is nearly as easily #3. After that, if we don't count Bang Masters as a real album, His Band and the Street Choir and Saint Dominic's Preview are probably my #s 4 and 5 respectively. But it seems like almost every album of his following the mid seventies has exactly one good song on it to me.

That said, of course I'm gonna get this. After all, Back on Top was worth ten times the $15 I paid just for "High Summer".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: winetarelli,

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7656 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari:
To make the eval more complete, my top five by each:

No particulate order for Neil...

Psyhcdelic Pill

Le Noise

Harvest Moon

Harvest

I haven't heard Psychedelic Pill yet, but will be going to see him here in 2 weeks. My top 5 is quite different from yours. In fact my fave Neil album isn't even close imho. In order

Rust Never Sleeps
Harvest
Freedom
Tonight's the Night

Ragged Glory is close to being in my top 5.

Posts: 10202 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was also tempted to toss in American Stars and Bars, but gave myself and arbitrary top five and that was yesterday's feeling. I consider these lists to rather fluid. Cool

We overlap by 40%.

What I really like about Psychedelic PIll is that Neil lets the songs linger. I always wanted ever longer versions of "Tonight's the Night," "Cortez the Killer," "Hurricane," and "Down By the River." Psychedelic Pill kinda gives me that.

When Neil did his Rust tours, I particularly liked how he'd extend many of the songs.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1294 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post