WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    So, it's the last night of the world...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So, it's the last night of the world...
 Login/Join 
posted
Predicted high for tomorrow is 1250 degrees F, with boiling lava hail and earth rending quakes and poison gas explosions.

Anybody else gonna open a 'special occasion' wine tonight?

Any favorite end of the world songs?

We're starting with Bruce Cockburn's "Last Night of the World" and then as the roof starts to spontaneously combust, we'll toss on Roxy Music's "Avalon" and dance the the end of time.

Last Night of the World

Avalon. Sorry, it starts with a 15 second ad.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1286 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When exactly is the end? Mayan time zone? Is that Cental Standard?

Posts: 5092 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
When exactly is the end? Mayan time zone? Is that Cental Standard?

Yes

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13456 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kah 110 proof reposado Tequila, while listening to Slayer's "South of Heaven". That should work just fine.

Posts: 5398 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Throw on Ride of the Valkyries and open a Clos Apalta, Don Melchor or some other good South American wine. Or maybe just grab a bottle of rum and throw on Into the Mystic. Decisions decisions decisions.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gallo Hearty Burgundy, courtesy of a fellow forumite at an offline.

If he actually brings it, the world may truely end after all! Smile

Posts: 2927 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta be REM It's the world as we know it and I fell fine.

Posts: 9400 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bourbon. Slayer - Angel of Death.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe a combo of Purple Angel and Casillero del Diablo, listening to "Who wants to live forever" and ultimately "The End" from The Doors, sipping some Ardbeg Supernova.

There is nothing in our intelligence that has not passed by the senses. (Aristoteles)

Posts: 1870 | Location: Luxemburg | Registered: Nov 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vera Lynn --We'll Meet Again

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6764 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course, after some quality time in the cellar, I will be Comfortably Numb.

A father is someone who has pictures where his money used to be.

Posts: 6764 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iron Maiden - When the Wild Wind Blows
Iron Maiden - Dance of Death
Iron Maiden - The Prophecy

Oh and since we will be alive in the morning

Iron Maiden - Running Free

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3213 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3:30 AM eastern and I'm still here. Working. Hate the friggin' night shift... Mad

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Britney Spears "Piece of Me"... If you are reading this I guess we're in macha-pacha change time. Gosset NV Brut Excellence. Cool

Posts: 1652 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Doors "This is the end"

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6281 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Vera Lynn --We'll Meet Again

Winner

Posts: 1477 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I posted these songs on the "What are you listening to" thread last night -

REM - It's the End of the World as We Know It

Elvis Costello - Waiting for the End of the World

DMB - When the World Ends

And happily awoke this morning and played Simple Mind's "Alive and Kicking".

As for the proper alcoholic accompaniment, I don't always drink beer at the approach of Apocalypse, but when I do, I prefer La Fin du Monde.

Posts: 3042 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:

Nice Cool

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1932 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I posted these songs on the "What are you listening to" thread last night -

REM - It's the End of the World as We Know It

Elvis Costello - Waiting for the End of the World

DMB - When the World Ends

As for the proper alcoholic accompaniment, I don't always drink beer at the approach of Apocalypse, but when I do, I prefer La Fin du Monde.

Great list of songs - some of my favorite bands and artists.

I'm not a DMB fan per se, but the song you reference appears on the Matrix Reloaded Soundtrack. Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:

gig - surprised you didn't throw out U2's "Until the End of the World"

Posts: 3042 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We made it through the most recent apocalypse, time to prepare for the next one!

We had Modern English's "Melt With You" cued up, but the flaming lava balls from space never materilaized.

Which is good, I forgot to pick up our Adidas sweat suits and Puma sneakers.

We made it through Dylan's "Everything's Broken" from 'Tell Tale Signs' but didn't bother to cue up Jerry Lee Lewis and "Great Balls o' Fire."

Also breezed through Tom waits' "And The Earth Died Screaming."

My favorite end times song of the last couple years is The Decembrists' "Calamity Sing."

NIN's entire "Preety Hate Machine" album should qualify.

Maybe tonight, I'll see if there's a "Pink Moon."

If we're still here tomorrow, time to cue up Smashing Pumpkins' "Today Is The Greatest."

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1286 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:

gig - surprised you didn't throw out U2's "Until the End of the World"

Good call. Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you guys think Survivor Mall gives refunds? Razz

Posts: 8671 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:

What did you guys drink last night?

Posts: 8671 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
Originally posted by SD-Wineaux:

What did you guys drink last night?

Well I hope he had something better than that. It would be a shame to let the Caymus he won from me go undrank if the world did actually end.

I had an 05 Bella's Garden last night with grilled pork tenderloins and it was excellent. Not my first choice for a last meal but a good one,"just in case". Wink

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post