WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Preferred Attire For A Nice Night Out?
Page 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Preferred Attire For A Nice Night Out?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
TPE and W+A Check your facebook. I thought of you both as I signed the CC bill.

I love 'em! They look great! BTW, happy birthday!

The Dude abides.

Posts: 2998 | Location: San Francisco and Taipei | Registered: Jun 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is your birthday, stylish Italian shoes, and a fine cigar.

Well played, Paul, and Happy Birthday! Cool

Posts: 30092 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, I don't want to get this started all over again but......last night we slipped away for a rare nice night out, we went to Charlie Palmers in Dallas. We walked in and some jackhole is sitting there in a god damn football jersey, and this is not a kid or anything, maybe mid 40's. His wife was dressed appropriately, he seemed normal, not mentally challenged or anything, I just don't get it. Now I'll admit Dallas can get casual in the summer (for good reason, HOT) but this is just beyond the pale for me.

Posts: 272 | Registered: Oct 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by txgolfpro:
Ok, I don't want to get this started all over again but......last night we slipped away for a rare nice night out, we went to Charlie Palmers in Dallas. We walked in and some jackhole is sitting there in a god damn football jersey, and this is not a kid or anything, maybe mid 40's. His wife was dressed appropriately, he seemed normal, not mentally challenged or anything, I just don't get it. Now I'll admit Dallas can get casual in the summer (for good reason, HOT) but this is just beyond the pale for me.

Any male over the age of 15 who wears any team jersey at any time is a, as you said, jackhole.

“The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”—Winston Churchill”

Posts: 3470 | Location: Vermont | Registered: Sep 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Even professional athletes on the field or court?

Posts: 5445 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:

Especially on the field or court!

My wife and her friends have long advocated that athletes, particularly in contact sports, should wear nothing but a loose-fitting loincloth; the extremists among them feel that its use should be restricted to the home team only, in order to be able to distinguish them from the visitors. Most of them agree that there should be a 'one size fits all' policy as well, with clear limits to the amount of material used. They believe this will makes sports more transparent and holesome.

My wife cites the Greeks, Romans, and even Philistines as models of athletic wear, and feels that getting rid of current uniforms and equipment will purify sports and help to eliminate the taint of scandal that has afflicted so many in recent years.

I'm not sure that I agree, but perhaps this sort of attire can improve a golf swing or a tennis backhand, if the laws of physics are to be believed.

Cheers!

Posts: 8401 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Funny, Seaquam. Smile

PH

Posts: 15082 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:

They believe this will makes sports more transparent and holesome.

Eek Was that intentional? Big Grin

Posts: 2776 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it is good enough for sumo wrestling, then it should be good enough for all sports.

Posts: 6450 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The down side to this is when I walk into Charlie Palmers and there is that same idiot sitting there in a loincloth with a tiny number 9 on it.

Posts: 272 | Registered: Oct 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had dinner at XIX in Philadelphia last night, and I was annoyed at the other diners who didn't bother changing from their Burger King clothes. I also think the restaurant should have not let them eaten there and instead should have directed them to their cafe or bar. Mad

In the weekend prior, we ate at Upstairs at 21 in NYC, and people were appropriately dressed.

Posts: 5127 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember dining at Michel Rostaing in Paris. Almost all the men wore jackets and ties, myself included, then three young men came in in jeans and were seated.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36786 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shared a FB message with winetarelli; I hadn't heard from him in some time. He has been very ill for several months but is now on the road to recovery. He did not go into detail about his illness, but he is getting better and is "stuck" in malibu until he is well enough to return home. He wanted me to say hi to everyone on his behalf. Smile

Posts: 1770 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear on winetarelli. Hope he's able to return home soon!

Posts: 5127 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
quote:

Especially on the field or court!

My wife and her friends have long advocated that athletes, particularly in contact sports, should wear nothing but a loose-fitting loincloth; the extremists among them feel that its use should be restricted to the home team only, in order to be able to distinguish them from the visitors. Most of them agree that there should be a 'one size fits all' policy as well, with clear limits to the amount of material used. They believe this will makes sports more transparent and holesome.

My wife cites the Greeks, Romans, and even Philistines as models of athletic wear, and feels that getting rid of current uniforms and equipment will purify sports and help to eliminate the taint of scandal that has afflicted so many in recent years.

I'm not sure that I agree, but perhaps this sort of attire can improve a golf swing or a tennis backhand, if the laws of physics are to be believed.

I'm going to wager your wife and her friends don't play sports....much.

Posts: 2013 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jan 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a year in on the Bruno Magli's and I love em. The horror of it all.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7652 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats for continued enjoyment and thanks for activating the thread. Happy times.

Posts: 5943 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just think that right now some newbie is reading this thing from the start.

so, I'm just gonna say now - bet you wish you had that 4 hours back.

Stefania Wine

Posts: 7652 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't be a popinjay Paul

Posts: 5943 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
popinjay? That just gives away that you read Bloom County many years ago Smile

Really this entire thread was an exercise in popinjayism.

Stefania Wine

posted Hide Post
quote:
popinjay? That just gives away that you read Bloom County many years ago Smile

Really this entire thread was an exercise in popinjayism.

Nope only this thread where GA calls Chilicat that on page 16 or some other page

"No. it hasn’t been mischaracterized at all. You and others clearly pointed out that you are swayed and even impressed by someone’s shirt, pocket square etc, and have belittled others that think you are a bunch of popinjays. You clearly judge people based on superficiality. I don’t "

posted Hide Post
quote:

Paul, did Jorge have anything to do with that acquisition? I have not seen such profound knowledge and interest in shoes since Imelda Marcos.

Posts: 3053 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't know what I was buying. Actually yesterday when I posted that I had to look at the name in the shoe to know what they were. My method of shoe shopping is to go in and ask the sales guy "bring me everything you have in a 14". If I'm lucky they have something, and if I'm even luckier it fits and doesn't make me look like a crack dealer.

Hate to say it but given those restriction price really isn't an object. I actually prefer to spend more for something that will last since finding anything is so hard.

I did show them off for Jorge when he visited. He was more impressed with our Caja China, as am I.

Stefania Wine

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:

Paul, did Jorge have anything to do with that acquisition? I have not seen such profound knowledge and interest in shoes since Imelda Marcos.

Big Grin

Posts: 6450 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:

Big Grin

I'm already planning on which shoes to wear when we go out to dinner next time...

Posts: 4946 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post