WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Would you realize beauty out of context??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you realize beauty out of context??
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
I'd say for me personally this would have all come down to where this took place. At the platform, yeah I'd stop. Sure of that. Spending so much time in New Orleans I've gotten used to stopping for music on the street.

Outside of the platform no chance. Until I'm on the platform at the Metro and see the 'next train arrives sign' I've got a razor focus on getting to that platform. Unfamiliar environment, unknown schedule, 15-30 minutes between trains, and trying to remember if I need red, green, blue or yellow and what direction actually requires a fair amount of focus.

Your point is very valid, Paul..... for someone from out of town or unfamiliar with the Metro. Friday rush hour I'm betting 90% of those people were regulars on autopilot.

If you watch the video in the full story link, you'll see it isn't a "typical" subway melee with people all jammed together. The area is wide open, with plenty of room for people to stop and listen.

PH

oh it was a friday rush and people going home?

I know what I'd be doing, and it wouldn't be hanging around the city for whatever reason.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12145 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know why but for some reason I'm feeling that at this particular moment in time I should use this emoticon:

Horse

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13558 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:

If you watch the video in the full story link, you'll see it isn't a "typical" subway melee with people all jammed together. The area is wide open, with plenty of room for people to stop and listen.

PH

The metro is generally pretty tame. It is crowded at transfer stations but there's never pushing or shoving that I've ever seen even at the busiest times. It's a pretty 'polite' system.

It does have a weird vibe to it though. The underground stations, there's just no hiding that you're in a bomb shelter. It feels oppressive inside and has a feeling you're in a cold war relic. I can see moving through the thing in a hurry I usually do.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7671 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure most of the people were dedicated government workers, intent on getting to their desks as promptly as possible, to carry out the important tasks to which they were assigned.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7156 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If he had been playing Mozart, I would have noticed, stopped, listened and paid, regardless of how hurried I might have been. Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6120 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mozart and mice ---
http://www.world-science.net/e...325_micemusicfrm.htm

and, mice react to hard rock music:
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com...Rock-n-Roll/mice.htm

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7156 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
I'd say for me personally this would have all come down to where this took place. At the platform, yeah I'd stop. Sure of that. Spending so much time in New Orleans I've gotten used to stopping for music on the street.

Outside of the platform no chance. Until I'm on the platform at the Metro and see the 'next train arrives sign' I've got a razor focus on getting to that platform. Unfamiliar environment, unknown schedule, 15-30 minutes between trains, and trying to remember if I need red, green, blue or yellow and what direction actually requires a fair amount of focus.

I tend to concur. I ride the dc metro every day, no headphones, but i am for sure minding my own business pretty much unaware of my sorroundings and just ready to walk up the stairs, get out of the station to see sunlight, breathe fresh air and avoid the crowds. I probably would have thought, damn that guy is good and kept on going.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1598 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
I am sure most of the people were dedicated government workers, intent on getting to their desks as promptly as possible, to carry out the important tasks to which they were assigned.

LOL

Posts: 3233 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would stop and listen. I have been known to be late for work and engagements from time to time Wink. Mostly it involves moments with my children that I might otherwise miss out on. Of course, I live in Southern CA. What are these subways you refer to? Confused

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2953 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jorge Longcork:
The one who paid the most attention was a 3 year old boy. His mother tagged him along, hurried, but the kid stopped to look at the violinist. Finally, the mother pushed hard, and the child continued to walk, turning his head all the time. This action was repeated by several other children. All the parents, without exception, forced them to move on.
yes...and "thou shall have the mind of a child to enter the kingdom of God". Certainly, there is a measure of purity of thought and inhibition that is lost as we get older; replaced with responsibility and a measure of "blindness".

Posts: 1770 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post