WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Most expensive concert tickets
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most expensive concert tickets
 Login/Join 
posted
There are a lot of us that spend what 'normal' people would consider unreasonable sums on wine. But I also will spend a lot on concerts, especially when it is someone my wife loves.

I just spent an ungodly amount for Justin Timberlake / JayZ tickets (10th row) this summer in Chicago...all I will say is I could have purchased a couple bottles of my beloved SQN 17th Nail in My Cranium

Anyone else?

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 723 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A co-worker was just telling me she got 7th row tickets for that concert. I think she said they were $250.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2576 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
A co-worker was just telling me she got 7th row tickets for that concert. I think she said they were $250.

But for the fact that I don't like those singers (though JT is a terrific host on SNL), 7th row at a major concert for $250 sounds like a steal to me. Not that the prices are necessarily nearly that high, but I would gladly pay that to get prime real estate at, say, a Leonard Cohen concert. No brainer.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7352 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:

That $250 apiece would be face value. I'm sure patespo1 paid an "agency premium" for the tix he got his wife.

FWIW, Bruce Springsteen charges no more than $100 for the best seats in the house at his 3-hour-plus concerts, which are still the best in the business.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Back in the 'burbs of D.C. | Registered: Feb 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:

I would gladly pay that to get prime real estate at, say, a Leonard Cohen concert. No brainer.

A no brainer indeed.

I'm a small and proper venue guy, and the smaller the better, so pricing is always much higher yet always worth it to me.

Posts: 29580 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago I paid $200 a pop for second row seats for a benefit concert. IIRC, the line-up was LeAnn Rimes, Jewel, Goo Goo Dolls, John Meyer and Def Leppard.

Posts: 2880 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: Nov 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love going to concerts, but I don't think I've ever crossed the $100 threshold. $90 for the 2007 Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival may have beeen the highest, but it was a bargain for the lineup.

Posts: 5151 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$500 Rolling Stones 2012, side stage, slightly obstructed view, worth every cent

Posts: 144 | Location: NJ | Registered: Jun 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've spent $300 on a Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds acoustic concert. Good but not great seats.

Posts: 4159 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent $330 for 3 seats, 11th row, for Michael Buble, only to have some drunk, Canadian female fans in the 12th row screaming, "Woo-hoo!" in our ears for most of the concert. Mad

Just dropped $78 for a so-so seat to see an Ann & Nancy Wilson accoustic set, a few days before they get inducted into the R&R HoF.

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
I've spent $300 on a Dave Matthews/Tim Reynolds acoustic concert. Good but not great seats.

Wow, was that recently? I only saw them once, back in 1999 or 2000 while I was in college and know I didn't pay much. I've been thinking about wanting to check them out next time they go out together, but not if the prices are in that range.

Posts: 2805 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Just dropped $78 for a so-so seat to see an Ann & Nancy Wilson accoustic set, a few days before they get inducted into the R&R HoF.

Cool

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5974 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

...some drunk, Canadian female fans...

I am often willing to pay a little extra just to be seated among them.

Cheers!

Posts: 8127 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
paid $550 each for a couple of tickets that included a preshow nosh and a chance to tour the stage (no artist meet). Ended up selling them (at cost) and buying two other tickets for $205 each that were in a special reserved GA area next to the stage.

Ended up that the original tickets would have been a terrible deal since with a $45 GA ticket one could have showed up at the show 30min before the gates opened and been in the 2nd-3rd row in front of the stage.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 394 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
paid $550 each for a couple of tickets that included a preshow nosh and a chance to tour the stage (no artist meet). Ended up selling them (at cost) and buying two other tickets for $205 each that were in a special reserved GA area next to the stage.

Ended up that the original tickets would have been a terrible deal since with a $45 GA ticket one could have showed up at the show 30min before the gates opened and been in the 2nd-3rd row in front of the stage.

Who did you see?

May you never go to hell, but always be on your way.

Posts: 6614 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spent $ 250 ea. for a Bono concert at Anaheim Stadium a few years ago. He hurt his back and they postponed the concert for a year. Seats were not that great and we left early.

Posts: 78 | Location: Southern California | Registered: Feb 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, a "free" VIP concert performance by the group Chicago that I was invited to by Caesar's Palace ended up costing me $5K or so........ Frown

Posts: 643 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid 6 bills to see McCartney once, but that was the most...

I just bought two tickets to five gigs next month for less that $200 total...

Posts: 1898 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jan 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:

Wow, was that recently? I only saw them once, back in 1999 or 2000 while I was in college and know I didn't pay much. I've been thinking about wanting to check them out next time they go out together, but not if the prices are in that range.

This was a special concert in Vegas and we bought the VIP tix to make sure we had good seats. I think regular tix were about $125.

Posts: 4159 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I paid $250/ticket to see Simon & Garfunkel at the MGM Grand in 2003.

Before the show, I won $500 playing blackjack and then laid it all on UT (-3) at OSU, a game they won by 39 points. Woot

The Everly Brothers were introduced in the middle of the concert and played a small set of songs.

Great show.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5974 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by finz:

Who did you see?

U2.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 394 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always liked that about U2....good GAs are well priced. PJ are good for that, too...

Now Madonna....LOL.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jan 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mom loves Barbra Streisand and I paid $500 apiece for her and a friend to see her here in Toronto at the Air Canada Canter.

I spent $10 in 1964 to see The Beatles live at Maple Leaf Gardens. My, the times have changed.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5437 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've become a seat snob for concerts/sporting events, and I'm not afraid to admit it. If I'm going to ditch my kids for an evening, it better be for a good seat/view, otherwise I'll stay home and watch it on tv or listen to them on the iPod.

I think we paid 500$ for an upfront seat for a Tim McGraw charity concert at a small theater in Yountville (but that also included dinner and wine at Chiarello's Bottega). I loved it. I paid 20$ last month to go see Social Distortion and all I could think about was how bad the 50 year old punkers next to me smelled, as I was squished into the bar area at a House of Blues. All it did was reinforce my thoughts that I'll take a reserved seat any time, and gladly pay extra for it.

Posts: 131 | Location: San Diego | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoktaP:
My mom loves Barbra Streisand and I paid $500 apiece for her and a friend to see her here in Toronto at the Air Canada Canter.

Did I ever send you my half?

Posts: 29580 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post