WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    College Basketball 2012-2013
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

College Basketball 2012-2013
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
All noble ideas, but none will ever fly. First, this will only encourage schools to make a ciriculum so easy that anyone can graduate (at the present these courses are there to keep players eligible). Second, do you penalize programs for scholarships due to athletes being bad citizens (crimes, smoking dope, etc)? It is hard enough for professional teams with umlimted budgets to judge the character of players at age 22, 23, so it is almost impossible to predict the behavior of 18 year olds.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to my Hawkeyes play Wichita State tonight after beating W Kentucky last night.

Posts: 9368 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The early season has provided some good compettion between some early season highly ranked teams. While Indiana and Duke deserve their lofty rankings, Florida is currently playing at a high level. The Gators can play with either a big or small lineup, play fast or slow and play offense or defense. Those are the type of teams that win championships. The Gators now need to play well on the road to be taken really seriously.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kentucky took a nosedive in the rankings -- falling completely out of the AP. I'm sure they'll be back in it soon enough, but it is nice to see them having some growing pains.

The Illini are in the top 15 in both polls -- 13 and 14 I believe. Big game this weekend against No. 10 Gonzaga.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2651 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the local papers, Coach Cal has told the KY that after finals are completed this week, the team will be living in the gym for the next three weeks. He has been unhapppy with their intensity of play and apparent conditioning.

Interesting discussion on the radio was that the KY recruiting class for next year is again loaded. If some of these guys are not ready for the pros come Spring, they may be setting the bench next year (if, of course, they are still at KY).

Some of these guys are going to have to show a lot of improvement to prove they should be "one and done".

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Latest update on the Jabari Parker recruiting sweepstakes is that it is apparently down to Duke and Michigan State, with Florida, Stanford and BYU also in the running. (BYU? Confused . OK whatever.)

Sparty has a nice team this year, but adding a kid like Parker might put them over the top for next year. Eek
Neither Izzo nor Coach K have much of a track record of landing #1 talent, so it will be interesting to see where he goes.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3011 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
BYU also in the running. (BYU? Confused . OK whatever.)

He is a Mormon.

Posts: 29978 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Billy Donovan lands Parker, the Gators will be flat out stacked. They already have ESPN#9 (Kasey Hill) and ESPN#10 (Chris Walker) signed for next season. They also have a shot at #4 Julius Randle. If they get either Parker or Randle, they will be overwhelming favorites for the title next season.

posted Hide Post
The pundits are saying that the winner of the Parker sweepstakes might have a step up on the recruitment of Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor -- top PG and C prospects in class of 2014. Word is that Jones and Okafor want to go to school together, and Okafor and Parker (and presumably Jones too) are good friends. The 2014 package deal doesn't bode well for my Illini, as I don't think Jones is considering them. I was hoping that Okafor would be the Illini's first great grab from the Chicago area.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2651 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw Okafor play at our annual high school tourney in Myrtle Beach, the Beach Ball Classic, and he is the real deal. I have seen many NBA and college greats over the past 25 years in this tourney.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
Latest update on the Jabari Parker recruiting sweepstakes is that it is apparently down to Duke and Michigan State, with Florida, Stanford and BYU also in the running. (BYU? Confused . OK whatever.)

Sparty has a nice team this year, but adding a kid like Parker might put them over the top for next year. Eek
Neither Izzo nor Coach K have much of a track record of landing #1 talent, so it will be interesting to see where he goes.

Parker's going to Duke. Bummer. Frown

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3011 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SEC teams didn't show so well this year during non conference play. KY and Vandy are restacking with the youth of their teams showing. Glad to get into league play and see how things develop for tournament time.

posted Hide Post
The Gators have some work to do. After an impressive start, they blew a six point lead in the last minute at Arizona and let K State punch them in the mouth.

Duke and Michigan look to be the best teams to date, but no team is unbeatable at the present time. From what I have seen, Michigan could turn into that team.

posted Hide Post
Interesting day in college hoops. My Spartans got a big win over Ohio State at home. My wife's Butler team (not that she really cares) won on a buzzer beater thanks to an awful inbounds pass by Gonzaga. Oh...and the #1 team lost.

I have a feeling there is going to be a lot of turnover in the top rankings this year.

Posts: 3045 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was the kind of day that college basketball needs. There were thrilling games with passionate crowds all over the country. The Syracuse-Louisville game was really, really good, with the Orange getting a late steal and slam to win 70-68 on the road. Wichita State held off Creighton by three at home, and the Butler-Gonzaga game was a classic. The Zags took a late lead and forced a turnover with 3 seconds left. However, they in turn threw it away and Butler's Roosevelt Jones drove the floor and made a floater (with 0.1 seconds left) for the one point win.

The Gators have won all of their first four SEC games by at least 21 points. They destroyed A&M on the road Thursday (A&M handily beat Kentucky in Lexington) and beat #17 Missouri by 31 yesterday. When the Gators play that suffocating defense, they are very, very good.

posted Hide Post
Who'd have believed that Oregon would be 16-2, 5-0 in the PAC-12, and ranked 16th in the country? It's been forever since they've been ranked... something like the mid-70's I'm thinking! Eek

-------------------------
"I always advise that before you say something bad about someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed off, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes." - Willie Nelson

Posts: 1655 | Location: Montana | Registered: Jul 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I like about college basketball.....rankings mean little, with a tournament that decides who is the champion.

Posts: 1209 | Location: The Woodlands, Texas | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
UM crushed Duke. That was sweet

Posts: 5847 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cannot recall Duke being crushed like that. Without Kelly, they are not even a top ten team. Miami has to be taken seriously, but will they get the chance to play in the tourney?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
UM crushed Duke. That was sweet

Now Sparty doesn't look so bad for that loss in Miami earlier in the season. Hurricanes clearly have some talent, they just need some consistency.

Stay thirsty my friends.

posted Hide Post
Big win by Miami. IU beats Michigan. Who wants to be number 1?

Posts: 5847 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As of now, the three best teams (pick the order) are Michigan, Indiana and Florida. There are about ten others that have a great shot to make the Final Four.

The Big Ten is a war every game. I wish that the SEC was better so the Gators would get tested more. There are two games looming with Kentucky that will not be easy.

posted Hide Post
Kentucky is starting to develop and make its move. The FL games will determine if they have arrived or still just growing up.

If KY only loses Noel, which will be a huge loss, to one and done this year. Watch out next year with the talent they have signed, plus with what they already have on the floor.

posted Hide Post
We are set up for a wild March Madness. There will be many bracket sheets torn up early because no one has a clue who is the best this year. The easiest way to lose is to make the top five.

Florida was playing great, then ran into a hot Arkansas team. The worst part is that forward Will Yuegette (should be a board favorite since he is from Bordeaux) is out for the regular season. Without Yuegette, the Gators will have to play above their heads to make the Final Four.

Kentucky is improving, and yes, they will have obscene talent next season.

A team that no one is touting is Gonzaga.

posted Hide Post
And Illinois just tripped up Indiana. I did not see that one coming. Looks like Michigan might be coming into East Lansing on Tuesday with the #1 rating. THAT will be a battle.

Stay thirsty my friends.