WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    What concerts have you been to lately?
Page 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... 31
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What concerts have you been to lately?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinoevelo:
Neil Young & Crazy Horse @ the ACC this past Monday.

We're seeing them Saturday night in Ottawa. Please tell me he played the old classics, and lots from Rust, and not so much the newer stuff?

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10533 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bman:
quote:

We're seeing them Saturday night in Ottawa. Please tell me he played the old classics, and lots from Rust, and not so much the newer stuff?

it was more of a crazy horse show than a neil show. lots of new material, lots of improvisation and going off track for a while. Very electric, little to no acoustic other than for a few new songs. More Arc than Rust.

Got a few old classics, but still - it was a crazy horse show, not neil young show.

as a plus, he did start the show by having everyone stand for the national anthem. probably the only time i'll get to do that at the ACC this year.

Posts: 1274 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a tradition of starting the holiday season with a jazz Christmas concert every year, and luckily the show we like has a tradition of starting their holiday tour in Austin the last few years. Just got back from this year's version and it was great as always - Peter White, Rick Braun and Mindy Abair. Always gets us in the spirit early.

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1841 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I went to see them last night Bman. While you will be happy to know he played Powderfinger, the only other Rust song was the obvious Hey, Hey, My, My closer. He does play Needle & Damage Done and Cinnamon Girl. A couple from Ragged Glory including a fun version of Fucking Up. Overall...not bad.

Oh btw, don't be late. Patti Smith is the opening act, which I was not aware of before the show. Cool

This message has been edited. Last edited by: steve8,

Posts: 9686 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mighty Mofos.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob Schneider with Charlie Mars and Sarah Jaffe.

Posts: 1841 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leonard Cohen

Un-freaking-believable show. Watching him perform Hallelujah literally sent chills up my spine.

May we all be as spry and utterly charming when we are 78 years old.

Posts: 2510 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got tickets to Wayne Shorters 80th birthday celebration next June. Second Row Razz I'm going to see John Scofield in February in this small club called L'astral in Montreal.
It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing / (doo-ah, doo-ah, doo-ah) Banana

Going where the water tastes like wine

Posts: 656 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Jul 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Leonard Cohen

Un-freaking-believable show. Watching him perform Hallelujah literally sent chills up my spine.

Winner

Where is that :envious: emoticon?

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7355 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
McCartney. Went in with guarded expectations, and came out with mind blown. The man was amazing. He knows his voice ain't what it used to be but didn't hold back at all on any of the songs, just went for it. Way better than expected. And this was the second of two back to back nights!

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1352 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Leonard Cohen

Winner

Where is that :envious: emoticon?

+1

Posts: 29598 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Neil Young was great - wild and crazy metal guitar, not all of it recognizable as any particular tune, for at least a third of the show. I could have lived without the 5 minutes of Neil playing nothing but screetching feedback in the middle of the show, but otherwise I enjoyed it immensely.

And 3 days later I found myself in the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, again on free tickets thanks to my wonderful daughter, watching Cheap Trick and Aerosmith. Fell into a 70s time warp for a few hours, especially with Cheap Trick who played all the hits and were great fun. Icing on the cake was that I was there with my kids. Had the foresight years ago to ensure that they understood and appreciated the delights of classic stadium rock. And ended up in a section ful of drunken chicas dancing their brains out in their seats, just like back in the day. A good time was had by all!!! Banana

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

Posts: 10533 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
3 days later I found myself in the Air Canada Centre in Toronto, again on free tickets thanks to my wonderful daughter, watching Cheap Trick and Aerosmith.

They played here during F1 weekend and I thought about pulling the trigger on tickets to see Cheap Trick (pass on Aerosmith) but didn't. Sounds like I should have. Bang

posted Hide Post
I used the term time warp because Cheap Trick were their old selves, boppin' all over the stage, cracking jokes, making faces, playing all the old hits adding extra choruses at the end just for fun. The crowd loved them - they spent 3 minutes on stage after the last song just soaking up the love. They got lots from me and the kids.

-------------------
Go Bruins!!
Go Tigers!!
Go Pistons!!
Go Lions!!

posted Hide Post
Not my favorite band or style of music, but I'll be seeing Train for the 3rd time tomorrow. My other half won tickets for free.

Posts: 5155 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last month:
Dave Matthews Band
Coldplay- brought our daughter and niece- they loved it.

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1864 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy Guy!

What an entertainer.

"Some men are Baptists, others Catholics; my father was an Oldsmobile man"

Posts: 58 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Phil Lesh and Friends
Furthur
Joan Osborne
Jackie Greene
David Nelson
The Boss AKA Bruce Springsteen

Posts: 708 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigmoney:
Buddy Guy!

Winner

Posts: 29598 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With all due respect to his greatness, influence and longevity, Buddy is really more of an "entertainer" than guitar player these days. Saw him at his club (for the 2nd time) a few years ago and also at the Eric Clapton Crossroads Festival in 2007. He is certainly still fun to watch, but they playing chops are a shadow of what they once were. I want to say it was the mid 90's when I saw him the first time. Just an observation; I'm not trying to disrespect the man by any means.

Posts: 5155 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Social Distortion

Posts: 133 | Location: San Diego | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Darkness

Posts: 1901 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jan 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flogging Molly last night at the Aragon Ballroom. They kicked major ass. The set was completely different than when we saw them a year ago, with many older songs pulled out. It was an extremely high energy set. One of the opening acts, Skinny Lister was very enterrtaining.

Dave King of FM reminds me of Dave Grohl in that those two guys onstage give the impression that they are having more fun than anyone else in the building. Bravo!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Flogging Molly last night at the Aragon Ballroom. They kicked major ass. The set was completely different than when we saw them a year ago, with many older songs pulled out. It was an extremely high energy set. One of the opening acts, Skinny Lister was very enterrtaining.

Dave King of FM reminds me of Dave Grohl in that those two guys onstage give the impression that they are having more fun than anyone else in the building. Bravo!

You and I are kindred spirits when it comes to these guys. They put on a fabulous show and I agree King is having just as much fun, if not more, than we are.

Haven't been to anything lately, but just looked at my ticket stack and am pleased to report we have Bob Schneider, Bobby Caldwell, Diana Krall and Clapton coming up over the next couple months so the calendar is looking better soon!

posted Hide Post
Saw Bobby Caldwell a couple weeks ago and forgot to post about it. Man that dude has some pipes - put on a great show.

Going to the Grand Am race at Circuit of the Americas this weekend and just learned Black Joe Lewis and the Honeybears will be playing at the amphitheater on race day. Cool