WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    NHL 2013 - FINALLY!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NHL 2013 - FINALLY!
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Apr 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do not know of any other Professional league that is excited about losing about 40% of its season so soon after a prior strike.

Posts: 1853 | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juicy:
I do not know of any other Professional league that is excited about losing about 40% of its season so soon after a prior strike.

Were there statements from the NHL saying how excited they were to have a shortened season? Confused

This work stoppage was a lockout not a strike. The two prior stoppages were lockouts as well. Many fans are excited to have hockey back; I am among them.

Posts: 5360 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Blackhawks have an opportunity to re-acquaint themselves with Raffi Torres tonight. I don't expect them to do anything really crazy, but I would welcome a bunch of bone-jarring hits on the POS.

Posts: 5360 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You may see a fight of some sort, but I would be shocked if there is any sort of vendetta against Torres tonight. Sure, they'll try to line him up and run him continually tonight, but I don't think there will be anything dirty coming from the Hawks tonight.

Posts: 3544 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A coupla expert-type guys were talking on the radio this morning. The general tilt was that THE HAWKS would be much more concerned with winning than being goons. The Car-bomb isn't back yet, and I don't remember seeing Bollig last game (I could be wrong though). The opinion was too though, that if THE HAWKS are up good in the 3rd, we could see some fisticuffs. Although, with Torres' past history of being a sissy bitch cheap-shot pansy, he'll more than likely just run away like he usually does.

edit: ... OK, I was wrong about the fighting.

BLACKHAWK KARMA . . . HERE COME THE HAWKS
RESPECT THE INDIAN . . . FEAR THE INDIAN

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Maverick,

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
~ I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'.

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thelostverse:
You may see a fight of some sort, but I would be shocked if there is any sort of vendetta against Torres tonight.

The "Code" was applied last night and it worked as it should. Torres knew what was coming and waited for Mayers to come off the bench so they could get it out of the way early. They fought, and that was the end of it. At least until Torres does something stupid again. I'm not a fan of Torres, but I did respect him last night for answering the bell.

I couldn't help thinking about the recent game between the Hawks and the Canucks while watching last night. Duncan Keith took liberties with Daniel Sedin last year with the cheap shot elbow to Sedin's head, causing the Canuck's best player to miss the rest of the regular season and much of the playoffs with a concussion. Yet, when the two teams played recently, not one Canuck challenged Keith. What does that say about the team chemistry in Vancouver?

Posts: 3544 | Location: Algonquin, Illinois | Registered: Jan 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kesler is out for Vancouver; maybe he's the only one left on their roster possibly up for that roll. Just another reason the Cannots deserve and receive no respect.

I get your point about Torres answering the bell, but I'll never respect him. He has a history of this kind of behavior. The league, IMO sent the wrong message reducing his suspension regardless of their reasoning. I know what you are saying though.

Gotta give Kane props for the role he is playing this year - no two ways around it. And I love the way the D-men always seem to be in the right place, or get there quickly.

posted Hide Post
Torres' history is to run away as quickly as he can when the band plays a song for him to dance. Every commentator I heard all day yesterday said that he needed to face up and just take what he gets. It was very lucky for him that Jamal Mayers was the only dance partner the BLACKHAWKS had for him. If he was healthy, the Car-Bomb would have ripped off his head, and last year John Scott would have beat him into next week.

Last year Sedin got what he deserved for starting the mess in the first place. Don't tell me that you forgot the whole story.

Former NHLer on Keith elbow: “Daniel Sedin will think twice about hitting a guy in the head”

Former NHL defenseman and current CSN Chicago analyst Steve Konroyd is the latest to weigh in on the Duncan Keith-Daniel Sedin incident ...

"Six minutes prior to elbowing Daniel Sedin in the jaw, Duncan Keith was blindsided with a shoulder to the jaw by the same man he later targeted. This shoulder to the face didn’t get noticed by the officials on the ice — heck it didn’t get noticed by me who was watching closely and adding color commentary to Pat Foley’s call.

But Duncan Keith sure noticed, and he decided to call a penalty. He saved number 22′s number in the memory vault and the next opportunity he had (roughly six minutes later) exacted his revenge.

I don’t like calling this “prison rules” or “law of the jungle” but what it demonstrates in no uncertain terms is if you slap my face and nobody punishes you, get ready to have yours slapped back.

Since I’m on a roll, let me take the jungle analogy one step further. A monkey walks up to a lion when no one is looking and pulls his tail. Guess what? The monkey just pulled his last tail. That’s why, to some extent, players have to police themselves because the referees can’t be watching everyone and everything over an entire ice surface."

The “policing” didn’t end there, either, as the Canucks spent a good majority of the second period going after Keith. Alex Burrows, Kevin Bieksa and Zack Kassian combined for 30 penalty minutes, yet there was a catch — none of the penalties were for fighting.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

posted Hide Post
Any Habs fans I can rub tonight!

Maverick- no offensive but IMO your posts are way too long. Like who are you Foster Hewitt reincarnate?

Posts: 1558 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry.

I appreciate the "Foster Hewitt" reference though.

posted Hide Post
Big Grin

Posts: 1558 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Go Blackhawks! 10 out of 12 points on a road trip. Nicely done. Maverick should be logging on shortly. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
LOL

3-0 SHUT-OUT!!! 3-0 SHUT-OUT!!! . . . 3-0 SHUT-OUT!!! 3-0 SHUT-OUT!!!

Chicago beats Predators 3-0 for 4th straight win
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Marcus Kruger and Jonathan Toews each scored 66 seconds apart in the second period, and the Chicago Blackhawks remained the NHL's lone undefeated team in regulation by beating the Nashville Predators 3-0 Sunday night.
Patrick Kane also added a goal in the third as the Blackhawks wrapped up their season-high six-game road trip with their fourth straight win and improved to 10-0-2 overall and 8-0-2 away from Chicago. Goalie Corey Crawford got Chicago's first shutout of the season and the sixth of his career making 17 saves.

posted Hide Post
Maverick, you probably still hate shoot-outs, eh? Razz

Oh well. Now another win streak can start in time for me to see them in person on Sunday.

posted Hide Post
I HATE SHOOT-OUTS!!!

RESPECT THE SHOOT-OUT . . . FEAR THE SHOOT-OUT

posted Hide Post
I wish the Blackhawks could play the teal guppies every week. Cool

posted Hide Post
Blackhawks beat sliding Sharks 4-1
CHICAGO (AP) -- Marcus Kruger and Andrew Shaw scored during Chicago's strong second period, and the NHL-leading Blackhawks beat the sliding San Jose Sharks 4-1 on Friday night for their fifth win in six games.
Dave Bolland and Niklas Hjalmarsson also scored for the Blackhawks, who remain the league's only team without a regulation loss. Jamal Mayers had two assists and backup Ray Emery made 27 saves for his fourth win in four starts this season.

Toews mixed it up w/ Thornton is a sissy fight. Corey Crawford is day to day with an upper-body injury, so the Blackhawks promoted Henrik Karlsson from Rockford of the American Hockey League to serve as the backup to Emery. I never could understand that injury stuff. Why can't they just say what's wrong? Puck to the head ... skate in the groin ... stick up his ass ... whatever. Anyway ... the Kings come in on Sunday, 2:30 Chicago time.

posted Hide Post
Blackhawks beat Kings, get point in 15th straight
CHICAGO (AP) -- Brent Seabrook and Jonathan Toews each had a goal and an assist to help the Chicago Blackhawks beat the Los Angeles Kings 3-2 on Sunday, extending their season-opening points streak to 15 games.
Patrick Sharp also scored for the Blackhawks (12-0-3), who matched the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers for the second-longest season-opening points streak in NHL history. Chicago is one away from the league record, set by Anaheim in 2006-07, and will try to match the mark on Tuesday when it hosts Vancouver.

posted Hide Post
I love this commercial. It's usually on twice during THE BLACKHAWKS games.

posted Hide Post
We went to the game today. I wish they would have played a more solid 3rd period, but we'll take the 2 points happily. Seabrook looked like he was in serious distress after a shot block; it was good to see hime back in the game the next period. We got out car parked a couple minutes before the doors opened and noticed that there were lines the length of the building full of people to get in early. Great crowd today.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick:
Gentlemen ... let's all be civil here ... at least until the 19th. Then we can relentlessly and ruthlessly go nuts on RedWing and Canuck fans ... and give them the beatings that they so righteously deserve.

Bring it on featherheads.

I have no idea what kind of a team Detroit will have this season, especially without Lidstrom, but I'm sure we'll have no problem brushing you guys aside.

GO WINGS!

oh, and another thing. Nothing gives me more pleasure than Cutting and Discarding that stupid karma jingle from your quote! Big Grin

Redhawk, you've been noticably absent from this thread.

Could this be why?
Razz

posted Hide Post
I can't speak for Redhawk, but as a Wings fan, it's been a tough one this year. On the other hand, we are only 3 points behind the 3rd place team in the conference. This shortened season is going to mean a lot of close races. That also makes the starts that Chicago & Anaheim have had to be even more important IMO.

Of course, I'm more preoccupied with MSU basketball and spring training starting anyway. Wink

Posts: 3066 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HA! HA! ... Vancuver SUCKS!!!

I STILL HATE SHOOT-OUTS!!!