Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NBA 21012-13
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Im not going to say Brown was the right coach for the Lakers but this move after 5 games is ridiculous. It shows an incredible lack of vision and organization but LA. After last season LA replaced all of Brown's staff and except one guy. They brought in a bunch of new players. The front office had a hand in the change to the Princeton offense. Then they gave it two weeks to work with Nash out and Howard still recovering from back surgery?

LA is going to be fine by the end of the season but if they were going to make these moves this quickly why not just do it in the preseason? They obviously had major doubts about Brown before the season started.

I can appreciate LA being decisive and making the move. I just think you either do it before the season starts or you give it half a season to work.

Posts: 4173 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This risks in allowing Brown half the season were (i) he'd overplay the veterans and wear them out; (ii) concurrently, he'd sap any confidence the bench players had in themselves; and (iii) the replacement wouldn't have sufficient time to turn things around.

Neil

Posts: 661 | Location: Forest Hills, NY | Registered: Aug 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TimTebowisclutchinmyLife:
Im not going to say Brown was the right coach for the Lakers but this move after 5 games is ridiculous. It shows an incredible lack of vision and organization but LA. After last season LA replaced all of Brown's staff and except one guy. They brought in a bunch of new players. The front office had a hand in the change to the Princeton offense. Then they gave it two weeks to work with Nash out and Howard still recovering from back surgery?

LA is going to be fine by the end of the season but if they were going to make these moves this quickly why not just do it in the preseason? They obviously had major doubts about Brown before the season started.

I can appreciate LA being decisive and making the move. I just think you either do it before the season starts or you give it half a season to work.
JB...my man! Big Grin

Posts: 1761 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not cool MJ. Not cool at all. Ack

Posts: 4173 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil K.:
This risks in allowing Brown half the season were (i) he'd overplay the veterans and wear them out; (ii) concurrently, he'd sap any confidence the bench players had in themselves; and (iii) the replacement wouldn't have sufficient time to turn things around.

Neil

Wasnt all of that pretty apparent half way through the preseason? The Lakers are tied for 5th in the NBA in offensive effeciency. Their problem isnt offense. Its been defense. LA gave Brown, a defensive coach, a roster of guys who cant play defense except for Howard who is still recovering from back suregery and isnt himself yet. The front office must have had some thoughts about making a change a while ago. They should have done it in the preseason or given this a chance to play out. Firing an NBA coach after 5 games is the equivalent of firing an NFL coach after 1 game.

I remember when Miami looked every bit as bad as LA has looked. They had the patience to let things come together and were rewarded. Im very curious to see how this plays out.

posted Hide Post
My Dad is a true Laker fan. He had surgery on his ankle today. About 30 mins after it was over I called my mom to see how he was doing and while still groggy from the medication he yells in the background "bring back the zen master!". Big Grin

Posts: 6257 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
My Dad is a true Laker fan. He had surgery on his ankle today. About 30 mins after it was over I called my mom to see how he was doing and while still groggy from the medication he yells in the background "bring back the zen master!". Big Grin

Awesome!!! Big Grin

Hope he is recovering well.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
The Lakers are tied for 5th in the NBA in offensive effeciency. Their problem isnt offense.

Stats can be deceiving this early in the season. Before last night's blowout of the Warriors, that offensive efficiency stat was skewed by the one win (at the time) the Lakers had. Their offensive efficiency in their 4 losses put them in the bottom third of the league rankings.

Posts: 644 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I now hope they bring back Phil and make Brian Shaw the heir apparent and when Phil stays home for some of the road trips, Brian will be the 'away coach.'

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1257 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, the Lakers' offense should see some improvement; although, the days of Nash running up and down the court are over. Hopefully, D'Antoni will have the good sense to install some pick/screen and roll into the half court offensive sets.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5984 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a Heat fan I am very happy they picked him instead of Jackson. Lakers fans can look forward to a round two flame out in the playoffs.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
As a Heat fan I am very happy they picked him instead of Jackson. Lakers fans can look forward to a round two flame out in the playoffs.

Yup.

I do not favor this decision.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1257 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah this is a head scratcher. The only thing I can think is Phil wanted too much power. Their claim that D’Antoni is a better fit for the team is ridiculous. The Howard/Gasol combo would have been fantastic for the triangle and Nash would have led the league in 3’s.

It’s hard to criticize the Lakers management as they have been the best run sports team of the 4 major sports over the last 30 years. Butttttttt, this one will get picked apart if it doesn’t work out.

Posts: 6257 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah this is a head scratcher. The only thing I can think is Phil wanted too much power. Their claim that D’Antoni is a better fit for the team is ridiculous. The Howard/Gasol combo would have been fantastic for the triangle and Nash would have led the league in 3’s.

It’s hard to criticize the Lakers management as they have been the best run sports team of the 4 major sports over the last 30 years. Butttttttt, this one will get picked apart if it doesn’t work out.

why not? you have one of the most athletic big men to grace the game. He's fast, he's big and with a legit point guard can excel in the speed game while the other big men are crawling up the court. Kobe is near tireless/ willing to take shots all day and Gasol is very active for his size.

This lakers team is certainly a better fit for d'antoni then the knicks with their mix and match of chandler, stat and melo.

what I can see is kobe runnign this team more as a second point after the primary point guard play breaks down. You've got a guy who can score and has good enough vision to dump it off to either gasol or howard.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11050 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t think it will be bad and I agree it’s a better roster for that style of play over what he had in NY, but will it get them another ring??? I thought Jackson would have given them the best shot at a ring. Plus Nash excelled in this offense 5 years ago and is now 39. Not sure he can be that player for 35 mins a game anymore.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t think it will be bad and I agree it’s a better roster for that style of play over what he had in NY, but will it get them another ring??? I thought Jackson would have given them the best shot at a ring. Plus Nash excelled in this offense 5 years ago and is now 39. Not sure he can be that player for 35 mins a game anymore.

it's not nash though, it's kobe's team

I can totally see nash/blake bringing it up and if it's there work with it,
if not, pass it off to kobe and keep the tempo from kobe's stand point. Kobe's definintely a scoring threat still and teams will have to especially guard him under d'antoni's system. It should free up one of the two very good pick and roll big men on the lakers.

A true shooting guard with two big men who can hold the pick. Scary.

NY had melo, but melo's not the guy who uses a pick to come around adn shoot off the dribble. Kobe definitely can be.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11050 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't care how many points the Lakers score, if they can't make enough defensive plays, they won't go very far.

Posts: 5984 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
I don't care how many points the Lakers score, if they can't make enough defensive plays, they won't go very far.

you have metta and howard!

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:

you have metta and howard!

MWP? Seriously?

LAL has Howard and a bunch of below avg defenders. I know the Kobe crowd will freak out but he's lost too much to age on defense. Now, as Orlando has shown, that can work if Howard is himself. Right now, he's not.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I caught some of Adrian Wojnarowski's interview on the Jim Rome Show today. AW is one of the most well-connected sports media guys when it comes to the NBA. AW advised a couple of things turned the tide in favor of D'Antoni:

1) Jackson wanted to be the highest paid coach in the NBA. No big deal. But Jackson had also expressed to Lakers ownership and management that because of health issues (i.e. his bad back) he would distribute some of his coaching duties to his staff at times during the season, particularly on longer road trips. This reportedly did not sit too well with Jim Buss, who wasn't thrilled that the highest paid coach in the NBA would not be putting in full-time work.

2) Jackson likes to run the triangle. This roster is not well-suited for the triangle in the estimation of Lakers management. I'd agree that D12 and MWP don't have the court sense and/or skillset to succeed in a triangle-based offense.

Posts: 644 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm just hoping my Timberwolves can stay around .500 untill Love and Rubio come back. We are playing well so far with all the injuries. Chase Buddinger is now out for two months as well.

Posts: 9281 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fusionstorm:
quote:

I caught some of Adrian Wojnarowski's interview on the Jim Rome Show today. AW is one of the most well-connected sports media guys when it comes to the NBA. AW advised a couple of things turned the tide in favor of D'Antoni:

1) Jackson wanted to be the highest paid coach in the NBA. No big deal. But Jackson had also expressed to Lakers ownership and management that because of health issues (i.e. his bad back) he would distribute some of his coaching duties to his staff at times during the season, particularly on longer road trips. This reportedly did not sit too well with Jim Buss, who wasn't thrilled that the highest paid coach in the NBA would not be putting in full-time work.

2) Jackson likes to run the triangle. This roster is not well-suited for the triangle in the estimation of Lakers management. I'd agree that D12 and MWP don't have the court sense and/or skillset to succeed in a triangle-based offense.

i didn't realize luc longley, bill wennington, bill cartwright and will perdue had the "court sense/skillset" to succeed in a triangle based offense.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
James Harden update:

First two games: FGs 28-44 (64%), 41 PPG
Last five games: FGs 29-88 (33%), 20 PPG

I'm sure the last five games are just a "rough stretch."

Devilish

posted Hide Post
I think the two big reasons for D'Antoni were lack of time to learn the triangle for the new guys and maybe the biggest one is Dr. Buss always wanting to go back to showtime era. Don't think it's possible with this old team but Dr. Buss is a gambler.

Posts: 1100 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And Phil Jackson, while a great coach, is also a big pain in the butt. Is he still dating buss' daughter? Lots of factors at play. Reportedly Jackson was going to delegate coaching duties on the road and wanted all the power. Assuming Kupchak had any influence, why would he want that? Apparently had had some influence

Posts: 5583 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post