WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Official 2011 College Football Thread
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Official 2011 College Football Thread
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
W+A;

I get the feeling that the Rose Bowl is a lock, and the Sugar/SEC is a lock. One would think that the Big 12 would prefer Dallas to Miami, but money does the talking, and maybe all those Okies would rather go to Miami than Dallas for a change of pace. I also saw a couple of nasty 1/1s when I lived there. Good weather then is always a maybe.

After hosting AK vs KSU in the Cotton this year, I don't believe that showcasing the 3rd & 4th best teams in their conferences places one as a major player in the Bowl hierarchy. They may be lucky just getting to be in the lineup,imo.

Sandy, you do know the Cotton Bowl is now held in Arlington, right?

There is not a place even remotely as nice, OR that will generate as much money.

Posts: 29998 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by Sandy Fitzgerald:
W+A;

I get the feeling that the Rose Bowl is a lock, and the Sugar/SEC is a lock. One would think that the Big 12 would prefer Dallas to Miami, but money does the talking, and maybe all those Okies would rather go to Miami than Dallas for a change of pace. I also saw a couple of nasty 1/1s when I lived there. Good weather then is always a maybe.

After hosting AK vs KSU in the Cotton this year, I don't believe that showcasing the 3rd & 4th best teams in their conferences places one as a major player in the Bowl hierarchy. They may be lucky just getting to be in the lineup,imo.

Sandy, you do know the Cotton Bowl is now held in Arlington, right?

There is not a place even remotely as nice, OR that will generate as much money.

No doubt a nice stadium, but DFW isn't much of a fan destination Big Grin

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3190 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
W+A;

I drove past the new stadium the last trip through. Certainly not the old warehouse district of the former Cotton Bowl. The last game I saw there was Houston's victory over either ND or BC with the great hail Mary past from McMahon ( I think it was).

Last concert there was the "Steel on Wheels" concert by the Rolling Stones. Kind of dates myself, huh! A group of us from N. Dallas ( Preston Trail) rented the limo for the night. Hell of a night!

Actually not sure the Cotton Bowl has ever returned to its glory days of hosting the SW Conference Champs vs. the World. I remember some hell of great games in my youth with Texas and ND, in their glory days, being played in the Cotton Bowl. AK vs KSU isn't even a shadow of those games!

Posts: 1896 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sandy, you are totally right I was missing how tough it would be to take finals and play football.

Maybe all the big bad Div I players could take some lessons from their DII and DIII counterparts who have playoffs from Nov 19th through Dec 17th. How any of them can balance school and football and pass even a single exam is just beyond me.

Or maybe they could just think back to their high school days when they were in playoffs well after Thanksgiving, sometimes running up against Christmas break.

This isnt rocket science. Its not as hard as the NCAA would like you to think it is.

Also, playing in the regional finals in baseball or golf may not seem like a big deal to you and me but I promise you it is a major event in that student's life. Its no different feeling for them than it is for a football player.

The same weak, tired arguements keep getting trotted out to protect the status quo. Total lack of vision.

Posts: 4449 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 825 | Registered: Feb 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just saw that 30 bowls games had a TV rating of less than 5 this year, 5! Roll Eyes

Does anyone really not think TV is driving all the playoff talk?

Posts: 29998 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post