WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Wrestling axed from Olympics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wrestling axed from Olympics
 Login/Join 
posted
Both types of wrestling will be dropped from the 2020 games. I found this pretty surprising. Reportedly, wrestling lost out to the modern pentathlom, taekwondo, and field hockey. Can't say I've watched much Olympic wrestling, but it seems like an odd choice to cut.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2569 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It does seem odd, and keeping tae kwon do seems beyond bizarre, but the decision isn't final. It has such a rich history, plus is a sport that has a well-developed women's version, so I'm fairly confident it'll be included when all is said and done.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8848 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They got women's rasslin too? Any mud or jello involved?

Posts: 2370 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What about men's professional wrestling? Can't they keep that? It also has a rich historical tradition.

Posts: 6304 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
They got women's rasslin too? Any mud or jello involved?

LOL

Posts: 4307 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
What about men's professional wrestling? Can't they keep that? It also has a rich historical tradition.

Russia vs. USA in a tag-team event would be classic!

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 2886 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This just in....."The Rock is not amused by this oversight."

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1254 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The accounts I read said that all signs pointed towards Pentathalon being eliminated, but that a lobby push by Juan Antonio Samaranch Salisachs (yes, son of former IOC chairman of two decades, Juan Antonio Samaranch) kept it in as he has been a leader of the International Modern Pentathlon Union since 1996. As usual, it's not what you know, but who you know.

Posts: 2980 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Total BS in my opinion. While in decline in many places in the US, it's still as strong as ever in many pockets around the country. Internationally wrestling is still a popular sport as well. There is no true professional wrestling so the Olympics is the pinnacle for many wrestlers to strive for and the life long lessons the sport teaches young people should not be underestimated. Glad to see Dan Gable is taking it personally and has vowed to get this reversed prior to the final decision later this year. I wouldn't bet against that man.

Posts: 3021 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great...it's only one of the original Olympic sports Smack

Posts: 509 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Total BS in my opinion as well. More great competition in wrestling than most other sports.

Posts: 9274 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD2K:
Great...it's only one of the original Olympic sports Smack

Agreed. It's bad enough that they don't have the event in Greece. And now they drop one of the original 2000+ year old sports. They might as well just change the name too.

"When I drink, I think; and when I think, I drink." Francois Rabelais

Posts: 3520 | Location: Oakland, CA | Registered: May 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the tradition of a wrestler leaving his shoes on the mat after his last match. I hope this decision gets reversed.

Posts: 5132 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post