WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Australian open 2013
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Australian open 2013
 Login/Join 
posted
So the first grand slam of the year starts tomorrow.

My favorite is Federer but realistically speaking Murray and Novak ( in that order) are likely to win.

Posts: 2232 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the female side I hope Serena gets some competition from the other top players (Azarenka, Sharapova). Judging by The way she finished 2012 and what I've seen in 2013 she will probably dominate (at age 31 Eek)

Posts: 2232 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
On the female side I hope Serena gets some competition from the other top players (Azarenka, Sharapova). Judging by The way she finished 2012 and what I've seen in 2013 she will probably dominate (at age 31 Eek)

If she has another year like 2012, she will move to the top of the list of greatest female players ever, if she isn't already.

The fact that she is currently ranked No. 3 is ridiculous.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6041 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not one American male ranked in the top 16.

I think this is a first if I heard correctly.

Posts: 29996 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And not one Australian ranked in the top 40! But it was good to see Lleyton Hewitt playing up to his capacity and being feisty (in the first set anyway) in front of the home-town crowd. (Oh to be 31 again!)

Posts: 5075 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hope Serena's ankle injury turns out to be nothing serious.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hope Serena's ankle injury turns out to be nothing serious.

+1

Del Potro is looking strong, so far.

Posts: 6041 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Not one American male ranked in the top 16.

I think this is a first if I heard correctly.

I question the fact that its not as popular as it once was....I began playing tennis as a sophmore in high school, stopped playing baseball as I couldnt stand the coach, this was at the beginning of the Agassi/Sampras era. I went on and played college tennis....it was deemed to be a fairly "cool" sport during that time. In college we actually had a fair amount of people come to our matches...cute girls and all Cool

However, I think the luster for the sport in the US isnt what it once was and therefore the kids in the pipeline in the US is diminishing...just my 2 cents

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2723 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Havent watched a match yet in the Aussie Open but if I had to wager...Id say Murray has the best chance. On the ladies side...I have no clue.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
Serena slam I'm hoping happens to make history as she gets older in her career.

Posts: 9376 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't think Serena's ankle was an issue today.
6-2/6-0

posted Hide Post
Second seed Maria Sharapova dropped just four games on Friday as she swept aside six-time grand slam winner Venus Williams 6-1 6-3 in the third round of the Australian Open.

Guess the 'ankle' wrankled her? Good match!

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6247 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be shocked if Venus Williams continues to play professional tennis after the U.S. Open this year.

posted Hide Post
Jamie Hampton and Madison keys played brilliantly against top ranked opponents. They are to Americans to watch.

Cant wait for federer's vs tomic match later tonight. Tomic is the last Aussie left in the tourney

posted Hide Post
It's 5 am just finished watching federer vs tomic match. Roger looked very sharp. The second set was a very high quality set.

posted Hide Post
quote:

The second set was a very high quality set.

+1.

Posts: 29996 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's good to see Raonic get his game under control, he's looked good in his last 2 matches.

Sorry to see del Potro knocked out. I thought he was playing well lately.

Posts: 5075 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone watching Djokovic vs Wawrinka match??
Playing the 5th set...Djokovic is struggling

posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone watching Djokovic vs Wawrinka match??
Playing the 5th set...Djokovic is struggling

His footwork looks off. (4-4)

posted Hide Post
8-8 Winner

posted Hide Post
Wow, game 22 after 5 hours of play was special. Bow

posted Hide Post
That match was a great example of competition. I watched the entire fifth set. Djokovic is a machine.

Posts: 1901 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Federer has not shown any signs of aging despite what some people say. His last two opponents were young up and coming (Tomic and Rainic) players. They both looked pretty exhausted at the end of their respective matches whereas federer was bearely sweating.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Federer has not shown any signs of aging despite what some people say. His last two opponents were young up and coming (Tomic and Rainic) players. They both looked pretty exhausted at the end of their respective matches whereas federer was bearely sweating.

2 words: Foot Work.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marcb7:
quote:

2 words: Foot Work.

When you see him play in person, you truly understand his footwork and how there is very little if any wasted movement, even between points.