Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New York
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
After seeing the No Reservations episode on Emiligia-Romagna, I would see if Michael White's restaurants are open. Then perhaps Mario Batali's places.

Posts: 5188 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
After seeing the No Reservations episode on Emiligia-Romagna, I would see if Michael White's restaurants are open. Then perhaps Mario Batali's places.

what was teh byob beef place we wanted to go?

I'm jonesing for a good steak and fine wine from teh stash

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12428 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You going to go outside and grill in his weather? I don't mind some snow, but this is a driving sleet and snow in high winds. Our town emergency line said to expect more power outages.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37061 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Osteria Morini is excellent.

Posts: 6065 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
You going to go outside and grill in his weather? I don't mind some snow, but this is a driving sleet and snow in high winds. Our town emergency line said to expect more power outages.

when i get power back, i'm gonna go out back and smoke 50 lbs of pork ribs you want in?

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12428 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds good, but I keep trying to watch what I eat. The gym still has no power. During the six days our power was out, I wasn't good.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37061 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It sounds good, but I keep trying to watch what I eat. The gym still has no power. During the six days our power was out, I wasn't good.

i promise to steam some spare ribs for you =)

they will be covered in rice flour though

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
I love steamed sapre ribs in a good Chinese restaurant. I tried to make them at home, but they weren't that good.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
what was teh byob beef place we wanted to go?

I'm jonesing for a good steak and fine wine from teh stash

You mean this place? http://primeandbeyond.com/

They've since added a wine list and a $30 corkage fee. Frown

Posts: 5188 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
quote:

Osteria Morini is excellent.

Thanks! Oooh, they have a location in NJ which isn't too far from me. $25 corkage per bottle, 2 bottles max.

posted Hide Post
We had a Barbera followed by their house wine that they pour out of taps into carafes.

Posts: 6065 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Finally, given that a lot is closed on thsnksgiving, I settled for Caravaggio in manhattan. I was also looking at picholine but wasn't so sure . I will check out Osteria though

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6636 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize it's NYC, but how many restaurants will be open on Thanksgiving Thursday? I'm not a New Yorker, but I would think that might be a problem even in NYC.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will be quite a few open actually. The problem is that if you are interested in the top restaurants, they will either be close or their menu is limited to turkey and other Thanksgiving fixings.

posted Hide Post
http://cafechinanyc.com/about.html

just ate here tonight

the food here is authentic and absolutely fantastic.

very well deserving of its michelin star

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Looks great, g-man, but I learned that authentic might not be exactly what I might want after a place in Elmhurst where I ordered pig intestine in hot pot.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks great, g-man, but I learned that authentic might not be exactly what I might want after a place in Elmhurst where I ordered pig intestine in hot pot.

haha it's actually a full mix of both

there's definitely some regular proteins but all very well prepared. I met the owner and struck up fun convo because it turned out we worked at the same firm together. Ended up going down the menu and ordering a good chunk of everything. (like 20 things) Definitely one of the few restaurants that really stood out to me in recent memory

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Did you bring wine?

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Did you bring wine?

bunch of ports ;-)

i acutalyl didn't check if i get hit with corkage or not

best call ahead YMMV

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Avoid the pretentious and pushy staff at carravagio Italian restaurant. The entrees sucked, were completely overpriced but the mushroom risotto was pretty good but not on the menu. The decor is nice and definitely a place to be seen for New Yorker elite. Too bad most of battali's restos were closed on thanksgiving.

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6636 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one thing that is exciting is that the empire state building got brand new LED lights installed

16.7 million colors instead of the old 10 ;-)

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
Found a new byob spot in NY with some fantastic food to match with

www.amalinyc.com

policy is if you bring something nice and share a glass, no corkage.

www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

posted Hide Post
In the process of planning a trip to Manhattan. Have made dinner plans for Le Bernardin and lunch at Gordon Ramsey. Would appreciate any recos for additional dining and/or shows etc.

Got acid?
@@@@@@@@@@@@
Everyone has to believe in something. I believe I’ll have another glass of wine.

Posts: 1442 | Location: Redstate USA | Registered: Mar 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Take a bite of something at Gordon Ramsey's, jump up, spit it out, and yell, "It's RAW! It's RAW! YOU #@&*?#! DONKEYS!"

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6868 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Take a bite of something at Gordon Ramsey's, jump up, spit it out, and yell, "It's RAW! It's RAW! YOU #@&*?#! DONKEYS!"

With a British accent though Big Grin