WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Manti Te’o Hoax?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manti Te’o Hoax?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Even with Katie Couric about to have a sit-down with him? Big Grin

Reminds me of the South Park episode and the couric scale Smile

The funniest thing I saw about this situation was a picture of Cartman with Jennifer Lopez drawn on his hand and they put Teo's head on Cartman's body.

Posts: 4153 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by billhike:
Even with Katie Couric about to have a sit-down with him? Big Grin

Reminds me of the South Park episode and the couric scale Smile

"Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeaaaaaaaaah!"

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5959 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
hmmmm. How many of us send emails back and forth to persons on this wine spectator board, and we haven't met them, and assume they are real?
I've had the good fortune to meet a dozen or two of the board members at various times. One notable massive offline at the home of FKG and Jcocktosten. (Was it Vinole who brought the wonderful Chablis?)

But are the rest of you out there real?
Am I real?

I'm not real, Devilish

Posts: 167 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
Im just glad its clear to most level headed people that he had nothing to do with it and was the victim of a cruel hoax.
Really? I like to think of myself as pretty level headed and I’m still not buying that he was not in on it. Maybe in the beginning he was duped, but there are just to many holes for him to believe she was real the whole time. Speaking of Skype/facetime/google video chat, in the 2 years they were talking Manti didn’t once try to set that up? He didn’t go out of his way to visit her in the hospital? For the “love of his life”? Didn’t make a real effort to go to the funeral? Granted I have not followed the story that closely so some of this might have been answered, but from what I know it just doesn’t add up.

Posts: 6219 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GlennK:
quote:
Im just glad its clear to most level headed people that he had nothing to do with it and was the victim of a cruel hoax.
Really? I like to think of myself as pretty level headed and I’m still not buying that he was not in on it. Maybe in the beginning he was duped, but there are just to many holes for him to believe she was real the whole time. Speaking of Skype/facetime/google video chat, in the 2 years they were talking Manti didn’t once try to set that up? He didn’t go out of his way to visit her in the hospital? For the “love of his life”? Didn’t make a real effort to go to the funeral? Granted I have not followed the story that closely so some of this might have been answered, but from what I know it just doesn’t add up.

Glennk, ignoring the fact that besides one anonymous quote in the deadspin article there is no evidence that Teo was involved, what was his motive to fake a girlfriend for 2 years and then kill her?

Posts: 4153 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Glennk, ignoring the fact that besides one anonymous quote in the deadspin article there is no evidence that Teo was involved, what was his motive to fake a girlfriend for 2 years and then kill her?
I’m not saying he intended to do this from the beginning and it probably did start as a hoax. How could it have gone that long though? He must have figured it out pretty quickly, but then decided to run with it because of all the press he was getting. I’m sure pure embarrassment was a big motivator to keep it going, but he still made the decision to keep it going IMO. You really think he would go 2 years without trying to meet with her in person or at least do a freaking facetime chat? It just doesn’t add up.

Posts: 6219 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you read some of the articles he did try to meet with her. She would always have something come up and never make it. He lied to his Dad about meeting her because he was embarressed he never met her. I truly think he was dumb kid who got duped. People believe what they want to. What is obvious to others isnt to the person involved. He admits he lied about it after the Dec 6th call while he was trying to figure out what to do.

As for good press, ND was only 2-0 with wins over Navy and barely squeaking by a not very good Purdue team. They had a QB controversy. Can you realistically say he Teo saw ND going 10-0 the rest of the way and himself being in the Heisman conversation? He was going to get the press anyway from the death of his grandmother. By the way, he didnt go to her funeral either so did she not exist?

posted Hide Post
It could be that he was just dumb, but let’s be honest that would make him really, really, really dumb. Just smells funny to me.

posted Hide Post
Yeah, there is something a bit fishy about the whole story.

Still, there are plenty of examples of men getting busted for trying to meet underage girls (or boys) on the Internet for sex. One would think that these people would be very cautious as well, and would ensure that the "targets" of their intended depredations are real. But there they are, getting busted on NBC Dateline by Chris Hansen.

But the idea that your "girlfriend" is dying, and then dies, and you still never met her, is very very strange.

Posts: 6297 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So let me get this straight - in two years they never shagged??

Posts: 1880 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jan 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:

So let me get this straight - in four years you have never made a wine related post on a wine board??

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I’m not saying he intended to do this from the beginning and it probably did start as a hoax. How could it have gone that long though? He must have figured it out pretty quickly, but then decided to run with it because of all the press he was getting. I’m sure pure embarrassment was a big motivator to keep it going, but he still made the decision to keep it going IMO. You really think he would go 2 years without trying to meet with her in person or at least do a freaking facetime chat? It just doesn’t add up.

Traveling for work, just wrapped up a Skype session with my wife and kids. Seems to me it's a pretty easy concept for talking with those you love, when you are far away.

I just don't buy the story.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 716 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam10:

So let me get this straight - in four years you have never made a wine related post on a wine board??

What's wine?

Posts: 1880 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jan 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post