WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Its Fu$ken hot!!!!!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Its Fu$ken hot!!!!!
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I sympathize with everyone up north. That is just brutal heat, and some people don't even have air conditioning.

It gets hot down here in Florida too, but almost never gets into the 100's.

Hang in there, and drink lots of water.

Posts: 6429 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe its time for Northeasterners to rethink July trips to Florida Smile

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3190 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:

True but that would hurt Florida's economy, no?

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6523 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the panhandle is especially nice right now:

Nibblin on sponge cake
Watchin the sun bake
All of those tourists covered with oil...

Posts: 6429 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mimik:
quote:

In the winter we call them snow birds. What do we call the summer folks? Oil Babies? Big Grin

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6247 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

No, it would help out. By rethink...I mean they should consider coming as its not the most popular time of the year to come (unlike say the winter)....but at least its not 102F

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3190 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, it would help out. By rethink...I mean they should consider coming as its not the most popular time of the year to come (unlike say the winter)....but at least its not 102F

Yeah but at least Florida has real beaches, not the rugged shorelines of the North east coast. Smile

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6523 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another 120 degrees in the sun. Jeez Louise!!!!

Posts: 3699 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
You know there is usually a button that lets you see the real temperature. Razz You know the one with the "F" after it.

Why? Confused Smile

Posts: 15361 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our temperature will be down by 10% today. Thus, it will only by 91.
As for Gentleman Farmer's lament about the vegetable garden.....can you spell
W E G M A N S?

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7087 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your temperature dropped 10% from 101F, it would be 44F.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36742 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by Vt2It:
You know there is usually a button that lets you see the real temperature. Razz You know the one with the "F" after it.

Why? Confused Smile

What I found odd was that was coming from a guy who is quite Euro-centric.

Posts: 9983 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

is the heat getting to you as well? 10% of 101 is 44?? Are you sure?

Posts: 3699 | Location: Westchester, NY | Registered: Aug 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Smack Popcorn

quote:
Originally posted by mareff:
quote:

is the heat getting to you as well? 10% of 101 is 44?? Are you sure?

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all, according to your thinking, what I said was 90% of 101F is 44F, since it dropped 10%. Secondly, that is correct. The total heat was not not 101F. The total heat was 311K. A 10% reduction would be 280K, which is 44F. I'm guessing you weren't a science major.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36742 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
First of all, according to your thinking, what I said was 90% of 101F is 44F, since it dropped 10%. Secondly, that is correct. The total heat was not not 101F. The total heat was 311K. A 10% reduction would be 280K, which is 44F. I'm guessing you weren't a science major.

Confused Eco major here. While I understand there is a diff in heat and temp,didn't he say a 10% drop in temp, not heat, therefore he is correct?

Could you splain further?

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The temperature was 101 on the Fahrenheit scale, but the true measure oif temperature is the Kelvin scale. Temperature is a measure if heat. The Fahrenheit scale is a measure of heat, true, but absolute zero is -460F, so 101F is 561 total degrees. Subtract 10% and you've got 505, a minues of 56, which yields 45F, which is the same as 44F if you take the rounding off into account.

By the way, squid, when are we going to have a dinner?

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
If I have a 750 ml bottle of wine, and I spill 10% of it, wouldn't I have 675 ml? Would I suddenly switch to some other measure?
I admit that science is not my forte, not even close. But, it seems to me that 10% of 101 degrees is about 10.1.

Posts: 7087 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Apples and oranges.

10% of 101F is 56F.

So you think 0% of 101F is 0F? It's -460F.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Always use cartoons to explain concepts on a wine board.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The temperature was 101 on the Fahrenheit scale, but the true measure oif temperature is the Kelvin scale. Temperature is a measure if heat. The Fahrenheit scale is a measure of heat, true, but absolute zero is -460F, so 101F is 561 total degrees. Subtract 10% and you've got 505, a minues of 56, which yields 45F, which is the same as 44F if you take the rounding off into account.

By the way, squid, when are we going to have a dinner?

That would be nice. I'm afraid to leave the house and melt, though.

Posts: 1871 | Location: NYC | Registered: Sep 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I actually was a Biology major but then again, what do I know. Not sure where the "90%" was stated, oh wait you are comparing absolute Kelvin with our Canadian friends who do not even use Farenheit. Now I understand professor Board O, pardon my naivete!

posted Hide Post
90% was the remainder after 10% was deducted. Smile I'm getting a headache!

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Big Grin Popcorn

quote:
90% was the remainder after 10% was deducted. Smile

-----------------------------

Go Yankees! Razz

Posts: 8463 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Nov 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
supposed to be 102 tomorrow, with a humisery index of 110.
16 people have died in Maryland these last few weeks from heat related illness.