WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    College Football 2012
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 26
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

College Football 2012
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pippin:
... Notre Dame plays at USC this year. They think they have a great defense and we will see. Matt Barkley can light it up against any one. Marquise Lee must be seen to be believed.

+1

ND is going to have to score more than I think they'll be able to get the W. My money will be on Southern Cal.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3951 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw a blurb that says Alabama would be a four point favorite over Oregon. The spread was six before last weekend's play.

As for my coaches on the hot seat, Kentucky pulled the trigger on Joker Phillips this weekend. While UK is a tough gig for football, getting routed by Vandy will get you fired every time.

Posts: 1995 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Living in Texas I don't get to see Oregon play too often but Saturday's win over USC was really impressive and Coach Kelly should get a lot of kudos for the system he has developed. Aside from the incredible speed of Oregon's skill position players the offensive line seemed to more than hold their own against USC's defensive linemen. Assuming the Ducks and Tide finish undefeated, this would be a great game.

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Posts: 631 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A ball boy....excuse me, an equipment manager for USC intentionally deflates balls during the 1st half of the Oregon game to give the Trojans an advantage? Aside from this being unethical, wouldn't deflating the balls make it more difficult for Barkley to throw the ball?

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Posts: 631 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
A ball boy....excuse me, an equipment manager for USC intentionally deflates balls during the 1st half of the Oregon game to give the Trojans an advantage? Aside from this being unethical, wouldn't deflating the balls make it more difficult for Barkley to throw the ball?

Deflating the ball very slightly from the 12.5 -13.5 pound required range allows the QB to throw a better spiral and is easier to catch by the receivers.

I am Lane Kiffen and I approved this message.

This has gone viral on the Internet and the Pac 12 just fined USC $25,000. Just google Lane Kiffen and deflated footballs.Each college team gets and uses their own six footballs. They do not share the footballs

Posts: 1660 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few fancy words always come to mind when I hear the name, Lane Kiffin: obfuscation, subterfuge, and skulduggery.

Pat Hayden has him in his sights.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gigabit,

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6140 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To my knowledge, the offensive team supplies their own ball for the play.

I noticed Nebraska likes to use a ball with the white stripes rather scuffed up, dirty, and inconspicuous for kick-offs. Maybe it makes the ball harder for the kick-returners to see?

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3176 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
As for my coaches on the hot seat, Kentucky pulled the trigger on Joker Phillips this weekend. While UK is a tough gig for football, getting routed by Vandy will get you fired every time.

I hear UK is potentially looking at Bobby Petrino as a replacement Eek If they do hire him, the replacement better be not too far behind, since he'll have one foot out the door from the moment he arrives.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2429 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty amazing tribute to Coach Royal before the game and during halftime today. Glad to see the boys win one for DKR. They're looking a little better each week, but they still play a pesky TCU squad and Kansas State is the final game. Big difference between 10-2 and 8-4, but have to admit considering how I felt after the OU debacle I would not have guessed they'd be close to either one.

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1966 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about them Aggies beating Alabama?

Posts: 1269 | Location: Scottsdale AZ/Midway UT | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:

The Aggies finally played a full game. Amazing.

Gig 'em, Aggies.

Posts: 1887 | Registered: Sep 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was very ok with ND being left out of a Bama/Ore championship game. I will be seriously pissed if they are left out in favor of KSU.

Posts: 4600 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ThistlinTom:

Alabama'a loss throws the doors wide open for a championship game. KSU vs. Notre Dame, anyone??? Obviously, Oregon has a great chance, but also probably a tougher schedule in the final weeks. LSU is now back in the hunt, too.

T'would be a pity if Ohio State was the only undefeated team at the end of the year.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3176 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
LSU is now back in the hunt, too.

How can a two loss team that lost to Alabama be in the hunt over Alabama, who will likely still be the highest ranked one loss team?

Posts: 3092 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
LSU is now back in the hunt, too.

How can a two loss team that lost to Alabama be in the hunt over Alabama, who will likely still be the highest ranked one loss team?

I am a huge LSU fan but I have to agree with vinole here. LSU is peaking and perhaps playing the best in the SEC. However most likely the SEC champ (Georgia or Bama) will end up with only 1 loss and with a shot at the championship. I really hope KSU and ND don't make it. I think a one loss SEC champ vrs Oregon would be more representative of the two "best" teams. I really think KSu and ND would have 3 losses at least if they played an SEC school schedule.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1653 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weekend Summary

Well, we finally got the chaos that usually occurs in college football, the kind of chaos that can occur without a playoff tournament. Alabama of the past two years has provided that safety net, meaning that whatever else happened we always had Nick Saban and company to be at the top. That was until an inspired Texas A&M and Johnny "football" Manziel upended the Tide 29-24 in Tuscaloosa. K State, Oregon and Notre Dame all took care of business with routine wins, so those three will fight it out for the top two spots.

I am as big an SEC fan as there is, and yes, if Alabama cannot get throught the league unbeaten (which I think I said this summer), then no one else would either. However, the system in place does not say that, and therefore, the three at the top deserve their place. As for the streak of six consecutive titles for the SEC being in jeopardy, no problem for me. I hate Georgia and I am tired of Alabama. The Paul Finebaum is really going to be fun this week (hey Pawwwl, what happened?).

As for my Gators, they avoided an all time upset at the hands of Louisiana Lafayette, scoring 14 points in the last two minutes to win 27-20. They needed a walk off blocked punt to beat a Sun Belt team who was 0-35 against SEC teams. While the Gators resume this season is impressive, they have played three terrible games in a row, and a loss in Tallahassee is looming (unless FSU plays like they did at Va. Tech then we have a close one).

Posts: 1995 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Marquess Wilson of Washington State has left the team and accused coach Mike Leach and his staff of mental, physical, and verbal abuse. Given the circumstances of his dismissal at Texas Tech, this does not bode well for him.

Posts: 3092 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Merengue wrote: I really think KSu and ND would have 3 losses at least if they played an SEC school schedule.

I'm interested in which SEC team's schedule you think would provide these 3 losses at least. I've watched my share of SEC East games this season and there isn't a dominant team in it. GA is a big step behind the Top 4 teams, they have one really good guy and that's about it. The top three teams in this division are all good, but none are dominant. I thought SC was the best of the bunch until Lattimore went down.
I've watched less of the West, while stronger I stand by what I said, please pick an SEC team's schedule, pick a couple for that matter. LSU has the toughest schedule IMO.

With all of that said, there is a lot of football still to be played and ruling out Bama in the title game is premature.

Posts: 3197 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
I'm interested in which SEC team's schedule you think would provide these 3 losses I've watched less of the West, while stronger I stand by what I said, please pick an SEC team's schedule, pick a couple for that matter. LSU has the toughest schedule IMO.

Lsu schedule

I think 2-3 in these five games is very probable. At A&M, Florida. Hosting Bama, SC and Miss State.

Alabama is similar and played 3 top 15 teams in a row (miss st, lsu, a&m). Throw in Michigan there for Bama and probably the SEC championship game.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1653 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who will be coaching at Auburn next season? Their only two wins this season are against New Mexico State and LA. Monroe, in OT. LOL

I cannot imagine what is going on there.

Hopefully Miss. State ( total fraud) will finally drop out of any and all polls. They have only played three quality teams this year, three, and are 0-3 against these teams with a scoring margin of 37-113. Roll Eyes

Posts: 30262 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:
quote:
Originally posted by snipes:
I'm interested in which SEC team's schedule you think would provide these 3 losses I've watched less of the West, while stronger I stand by what I said, please pick an SEC team's schedule, pick a couple for that matter. LSU has the toughest schedule IMO.

Lsu schedule

I think 2-3 in these five games is very probable. At A&M, Florida. Hosting Bama, SC and Miss State.

Alabama is similar and played 3 top 15 teams in a row (miss st, lsu, a&m). Throw in Michigan there for Bama and probably the SEC championship game.

Possible? Sure, but equally possible is 5-0. Probable? I don't see it when talking KSU, I'd be interested in LBJs thoughts on the Golden Domers.

A&M is a Big XII type offensive team with a stud QB and a strong D. Sounds pretty similar to another Big12 team. A&M isn't any better than KSU, they just seem like world beaters yesterday.

FL is certainly beatable see yesterday and the week before.
Miss St. Really? Who have the beat this year?
SC - Certainly beatable, but a solid team.
Bama - I think we all learned something yesterday. They aren't built for coming back from a big deficit, though they almost pulled it off.

Conference championship against the perennial underachievers from Athens? Come on now.

So possible, sure. Probable, not in my book. Three conference losses would put KSU 4th or 5th in either division. That's a bit of a stretch. It's also possible KSU blows the whole thing by losing to Texas.

Posts: 3197 | Location: ATL | Registered: Mar 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New AP Top 5.

1. Oregon (45)
2. Kansas State (14)
3. Notre Dame (1)
4. Alabama
5. Georgia

Who voted ND #1. Roll Eyes

Posts: 30262 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the Coaches' poll (which is used in the BCS along with the Harris). AL slipped to 5 and GA 4, with the rest the same as the AP.

posted Hide Post
I think if ND played in the SEC 3 losses is a stretch. Sure its possible but I think unlikely. I tried not to drink the cool aid on this ND team. I held out until the OK win. After that I was sold. This ND team can plays better D than just about anyone in the country. They play at a level that is equal to an elite SEC defense. Their offense, while not great, is every bit as good if not better than LSU, UF or SC. MISS ST is a joke and we all know that. Does GA really scare anyone? Bama is a very good team but are they as good as we all thought?

Im going to commit what many people will say is blasphemy and say the SEC was a little overrated this season.

I dont think ND would be undefeated right now if they played in the SEC but 1 loss is way more likely than 3. Recent history has lead many people to discount this ND team. Thats a mistake. Ask any Oklahoma fan which team is better ND or KSU. I'm very confident the answer you will get is ND.

There are no great teams this season. Every team has a few warts. ND has them but they dont have anymore than the other top teams.

Posts: 4600 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
New AP Top 5.

1. Oregon (45)
2. Kansas State (14)
3. Notre Dame (1)
4. Alabama
5. Georgia

Who voted ND #1. Roll Eyes

Smartest guy in the room. Winner