WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    College Football 2012
Page 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

College Football 2012
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Looks like FSU and one other ACC school, not sure which, to the Big 12 is in the works. That's the death knell for the ACC. Big 10, SEC and Big 12 will pick over the scraps and four 16 team super conferences here we come.

I wonder what this does to ND. I was hoping the ACC would pick off the big 12 so ND could go full time ACC. I really don't want ND to go to the Big 10.

Posts: 4646 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
I wonder what this does to ND. I was hoping the ACC would pick off the big 12 so ND could go full time ACC. I really don't want ND to go to the Big 10.

Big 10[14] seems to be the most logical fit for ND, but I imagine they'll stay indpendent, cand keep all of that NBC money to themselves, for as long as they possibly can.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2441 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The East West bowl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...Oelss&feature=relmfu

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7199 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
quote:

Big 10[14] seems to be the most logical fit for ND, but I imagine they'll stay indpendent, cand keep all of that NBC money to themselves, for as long as they possibly can.

This is one of the biggest myths in college football. ND actually makes less in TV money than most BCS schools.

Posts: 4646 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brett Bielema to Arkansas really seems and odd match to me and I don't see that ending well. But...6 years at $3.2 million per is hard to turn down.

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Posts: 634 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im hearing Clemson is the other team. Bye bye ACC.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

This is one of the biggest myths in college football. ND actually makes less in TV money than most BCS schools.

Isn't it like $15 million per season just for ND football? I've always understood that the network contracts for the BCS schools include both football and basketball, so the amount ND gets for football exceeds the amount attributable to the BCS schools just for football, but I could be wrong.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2441 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Isn't it like $15 million per season just for ND football? I've always understood that the network contracts for the BCS schools include both football and basketball, so the amount ND gets for football exceeds the amount attributable to the BCS schools just for football, but I could be wrong.

Football and basketball are separate deals. The ACC just negotiated a new football only contract with Disney (ABC). Each school gets $17.1 million per year. ND gets $15 million per year. Duke and Wake Forest get more money per year than ND. The SEC and Big 10 teams are in the low to mid $20 millions. Im not sure about the Pac 10 and Big 12. ND doesnt have the sweetheart tv deal everyone constantly complains about.

posted Hide Post
LBJ;

Louisville is going to the ACC. Looks like they will become a basketball powerhouse with Duke, UNC, Wake Forest, etc.

Posts: 1912 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanted:

Head football coach - stadium of 100,000 plus on the banks of a beautiful river, multiple SEC championships, national champs 1998, top 10 program all-time

Tennessee has been turned down by Jon Gruden (fantasy), Mike Gundy (now over 40 and still a man), Al Golden (likes Miami's probation better than Tenn's), Charley Strong (likes ACC), Sonny Dykes (headed to Cal) and Kirby Smart. We are down to Tommy Tuberville or Tommy Bowden.

Posts: 2026 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would appreciate a "Hail Southern" from y'all this Saturday as we head to Norfolk for our quarterfinal playoff game with Old Dominion. We're ranked 6th, ODU is ranked 4th, we have the #1 rushing offense in all of college football (FCS/FBS), and ODU puts up 340+ yrds of passing per game.

A rematch from our 55-48 win in last years' playoffs, I know the Monarchs are looking for a little revenge. Plus, a win puts us back on the plane to Fargo for a semi-final rematch with N. Dakota St.

G-man has had a great season, our only offensive lineman to take every snap. If you get a few minutes, tune into the game on ESPN Saturday 12/8 @ 12:00P. Go #58, and go Eagles!

GATA!

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. "
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Posts: 3848 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Nov 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scbeerman:
Wanted:

Head football coach - stadium of 100,000 plus on the banks of a beautiful river, multiple SEC championships, national champs 1998, top 10 program all-time

Tennessee has been turned down by Jon Gruden (fantasy), Mike Gundy (now over 40 and still a man), Al Golden (likes Miami's probation better than Tenn's), Charley Strong (likes ACC), Sonny Dykes (headed to Cal) and Kirby Smart. We are down to Tommy Tuberville or Tommy Bowden.

What about Charlie Weis? Can't see him disliking the BBQ...

Posts: 5542 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wanted:

I think Rick Neuheisel is still available.

Seriously what are the negatives that would cause all these potential coaches to turn down the opportunity?

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Posts: 634 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

top 10 program all-time

Who are the top 10 all-time?

Posts: 30357 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dick;

Schools such as TN want to win the SEC, every fricking year, or they fire their coaches. Win a National BCS Championship, that was 2 years ago, you're fired (Auburn). Some of these schools, such as TN, are crazy, they'll won' even allow the coach time to develop his team. My guess if TN's new coach "only goes 9-3 in a two years, he'll be gone. Most don't want the headache or pressures.

Posts: 1912 | Registered: Jul 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Such is life in the ultra-competitive SEC. To be fair with Tennessee, they were 1-7 in each of last last two years in conference play, and it is obvious that Dooley was not the guy. Gene Chizik will go down as the worst coach to ever win a national title. He was 5-19 at Iowa State before he came to Auburn, and 8-5, 7-5 and 3-9 in his other three years at Auburn. We all know why he had that big year, and those guys come once in about every three decades. These coaches know what they are getting into when they accept an SEC job, especially at schools with a winning history.

W+A, you can google 10 ten winning programs and get a variety of answers. Your Sooners are prominently near the top of every list.

Posts: 2026 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

W+A, you can google 10 ten winning programs and get a variety of answers. Your Sooners are prominently near the top of every list.

Ah, all-time wins was the criteria. Was not sure that was the case.

In that case, Harvard and Penn are top 10, and Princeton just behind Tennessee. Big Grin

Posts: 30357 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:

top 10 program all-time

Interesting question, and there are probably logical arguments to put any ten of about 18 different teams into someone's top-10.

In my simple formula, I use the AP poll, and give 10 points for an end-of-season AP #1 ranking, and 1 point for any finish in the AP top-10 other than #1. Here's how they rank:
1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4. USC
5. Ohio State
6. Nebraska
7. Miami (FL)
8. Michigan
9. Texas
10 Minnesota

This is also an interesting analysis, which I think W+A will prefer Wink

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3212 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
quote:

top 10 program all-time

Interesting question, and there are probably logical arguments to put any ten of about 18 different teams into someone's top-10.

In my simple formula, I use the AP poll, and give 10 points for an end-of-season AP #1 ranking, and 1 point for any finish in the AP top-10 other than #1. Here's how they rank:
1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4. USC
5. Ohio State
6. Nebraska
7. Miami (FL)
8. Michigan
9. Texas
10 Minnesota

I'm thinking the results are flawed. Dominance for a period of 10 years seems to be able to matter here...and we'll, when is the last time Minnesota was relevant? 1932?

Lets take FL for example. All 3 major schools in FL were pretty much on par until 1983. Then UM went and won 4 titles between 1983 and 1991.

In the last 20 years, UM has 1, FSU has 2 and UF has 3.

Sometimes, all-time rankings rest on their laurels

"I'm going back to gator country where the wine and the women are free" - Molly Hatchet

Posts: 3272 | Location: Valrico, Florida | Registered: Jan 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
quote:
quote:

top 10 program all-time

1. Alabama
2. Notre Dame
3. Oklahoma
4. USC
5. Ohio State
6. Nebraska
7. Miami (FL)
8. Michigan
9. Texas
10 Minnesota

I'm thinking the results are flawed. Dominance for a period of 10 years seems to be able to matter here...and we'll, when is the last time Minnesota was relevant? 1932?

AP poll didn't start until 1936. Minnesota's championships were 1940 to 1960. That's 20 years of relavance, and some good years extending on either end. I will admit Minnesota has not really been relevant since 1961, but how many programs have FOUR AP national titles? Anyway, the question was "best programs ever", not "best programs lately". And, as I said, there are about 18 teams that could fit into a "top 10" list, depending on your criteria.

Lets take FL for example. All 3 major schools in FL were pretty much on par until 1983. Then UM went and won 4 titles between 1983 and 1991.

Miami FL was actually relevant prior to the 1980's. They had some good teams in the mid 50's, and also a top-10 team in 1966. You are right that Florida State was nothing until they appeared on the scene in 1979, and Florida's first top-10 appearance was in 1986, I believe. Note also how one elite coach can take a mediocre program and make it relevant.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3212 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pinotlvr:

LOL

All-time means just that, all-time. Your 20 years is just gerrymandering. Next month one could say the last 4 years and all would be from Alabama, and all-time is just resting on their laurels. Big Grin

Like Redhawk said well, some programs had one great run with one elite coach.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinole:

Oklahoma has ONE NC in the last TWENTY FIVE years. 0-3 in Championship games since their last one in 2000. I wouldn't be laughing at those programs.

LOL

Confused

Um, I laughed at the gerrymandering of the question ...all-time. That seems rather obvious. Roll Eyes

As for BCS Championships, yes, OU has 1, Fla State has 1, and Florida has 2. Did someone take issue with that?

Florida State has not played in the championship game since their loss to OU in 12 years, Miami since their loss in 2002.

Are you saying their lack of even playing in the game has meaning, win or lose? That big bad ass ACC. LOL

...back to the question posed, all-time. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oklahoma has ONE NC in the last TWENTY FIVE years. 0-3 in Championship games since their last one in 2000. I wouldn't be laughing at those programs.

LOL

Confused

Um, I laughed at the gerrymandering of the question ...all-time. That seems rather obvious. Roll Eyes

As for BCS Championships, yes, OU has 1, Fla State has 1, and Florida has 2. Did someone take issue with that?

Florida State has not played in the championship game since their loss to OU in 12 years, Miami since their loss in 2002.

Are you saying their lack of even playing in the game has meaning, win or lose? That big bad ass ACC. LOL

...back to the question posed, all-time. Big Grin

My bad. I apparently didn't delete my post fast enough. I broke my own cardinal rule of never replying to w+a regarding Oklahoma football, Cellartracker, or Lebron James. My apologies to the rest of the board.

Posts: 3117 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

My bad. I apparently didn't delete my post fast enough. I broke my own cardinal rule of never replying to w+a regarding Oklahoma football, Cellartracker, or Lebron James. My apologies to the rest of the board.

Big Grin

posted Hide Post
Y
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

And how could I forget footwear? Wink

Posts: 3117 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post