WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Official 2013 Super Bowl Thread
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Official 2013 Super Bowl Thread
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
quote:
The Ravens are one of the biggest collection of dirtbags ever to take the field.

"....Now carry on with your name calling."

Not I, O Master of Name Calling. Big Grin

That's just the facts, not name calling. Of course if you don't consider accessories to murder and wife beaters dirtbags tells me a lot about you.

But hey, Lewis thinks God wanted him to win it all, so if the big guy has forgiven him I'm sure you have too.

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Super Bowl....? More like the Blooper Bowl. Somewhere in NO, there are a couple of systems engineers looking for work today. At least SF made a game of it.

Posts: 1066 | Location: East of England | Registered: Jul 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 49ers are a great team and, I bet, will win a Superbowl in the next 2-3 years, perhaps more.

I believe that their post-season was made much more difficult by starting poorly in each of their games. Their first offensive play last night was a perfect example.

I enjoyed watching Jim Harbaugh during the game almost as much as the game itself.

The Ravens' offensive line played great.

The play after the challenge by Harbaugh was (insert huevos grandes icon here).

Anquan Boldin is a tremendous (possession) receiver.

Jacoby Jones is very fast.

How in the hell is there an issue with the power during the Superbowl?

Did anyone else have the following?

Ravens to win: +160
Ravens to cover: +3.5
Total points: over 47.5

Winner Banana

One more edit: with his play last night, Randy "Minimal Effort" Moss dropped even further down the list off all-time WRs.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gigabit,

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
quote:
Originally posted by mangiare:
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
I'm liking the half-time show. Um, um, um.

compared to Alicia Keys singing the national anthem, I thought B's performance was totally uninspired

It's apples and oranges. You're comparing a national anthem with a 15-minute montage. I liked Keys' rendition, and she has a much better voice than Beyonce. Beyonce's performance was still entertaining though. I was glad to see her former BFFs from Destiny's Child perform together.

Really enjoyed the game of two halves. Ravens dominate the first, the 49ers come right back at them in the second but had just made too many mistakes to get ahead. Really exciting to the end.

A little like the Ireland [who won] versus Wales Rugby Football game on Saturday at the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff. Wales made too many mistakes in the first half and ran out of time while clawing their way back into contention after Ireland had executed brilliantly in the first half.

However I thought Alicia Key's rendition of the National Anthem nervous, hesitant and 'thin' and close to being off-key [no pun intended] on occasions and I felt concerned for her throughout the performance. Beyonce on the other hand exuded confidence and looked very shiny and bright. I didn't think much of the songs although she held the notes well enough but it was a powerful performance in keeping with the game. Not my sort of music but IMO she seemed right on form.

But it was a great game.

Posts: 421 | Location: London, England | Registered: Feb 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I won big time. I rooted for the 49's but that was not to be. However I bought $40 worth of tickets for a pool investment at my friends Superbowl Party. I won one bottle of Domaine Comte Georges de Vogue 1998 Musigny. That will ease the pain.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Santa Rosa, CA, USA | Registered: Mar 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gigabit:
The 49ers are a great team and, I bet, will win a Superbowl in the next 2-3 years, perhaps more.

Strongly disagree with this. I think the Pistol offense is a fad and will fade in the next year or two as you see the QBs in that system get hurt and coaches realize you have need a drop back passer who can run not a running QB who can pass. I think Kapernick is the later.

Posts: 4476 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He threw well enough to win that game last night -

Posts: 5900 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Possibly, but I'm not so sure. Should be a force on offence for years to come with Kaepernick, Crabtree, Gore (though there is a lot of wear on those tireS), Davis and that great OL, but the D is a bit of a question mark. Secondary looked awful yesterday and Aldon Smith, once Justin Smith got hurt, was just an ordinary player and Justin Smith is old and coming off a pretty serious injury. Also, 9ers have been, by NFL standards, healthy over the last 2 years - injury always plays such a huge role in who wins the Super Bowl - they may not be so lucky going forward.

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2385 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd89IydtXyk

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7124 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 49ers have very few weaknesses on their team, a great coach, and a mountain of draft picks. I believe all of those factors will make them strong contenders for the next several years.

Does anyone else think that the game should be moved to Saturday? I heard it discussed a couple of times this morning and strongly agree.

Posts: 6059 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:
He threw well enough to win that game last night -

Maybe but I dont think one game has much bearing going forward. It will be interesting to see how the Pistol offense performs next season once teams have the offseason to game plan for it. I dont think it will do well and how many QBs have to get hurt running with the ball before teams stop doing it. Kapernick is going to get hurt if he keeps running it this much.

Posts: 4476 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd89IydtXyk

Ill bet as professional atheletes they really needed someone to give them a reason to win. Roll Eyes According to Lewis nothing was going to stop what God wanted to happen anyhow. That's the only reason he gave after the game. Ain't nobody gonna stop what God wants done, or something like that (insert puking face here).

Posts: 2297 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Does anyone else think that the game should be moved to Saturday? I heard it discussed a couple of times this morning and strongly agree.

A big +1 but it will never happen. One of the espn radio people said the NFL has studies showing that Sundays are a better TV watching night and if they move it to Saturday they lose the casual viewer.

posted Hide Post
I wasn't too fond of Alicia Key's rendition of the National Anthem.

I am hoping that next year they will get famed opera star Enrico Pallazo to do it right.

Posts: 6439 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting game. 2 games. One game in which Baltimore was unstoppable, one where SF dominated. I didn't like the officiating, generally, and I think their calls and non-calls where I thought differently tended to favor Baltimore, but I don't think they were biased at all.

I'm on the team that says Kaepernick is going to be a great QB. He's very young, that was his 10th career start, he'll only get better. Will he ever be Brady? No. But he'll be really good, maybe really really good.

Overall, enjoyable. The commercials kinda sucked this year, though. I did like the library oreo one.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" -- W.C. Fields

Posts: 7541 | Registered: Dec 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that a military quartet should perform the National Anthem every year.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winetarelli:
I did like the library oreo one.

+1 - Very clever and funny.

posted Hide Post
I have a question.....On the play near the end where Sam Koch was punting for the Ravens and held the ball and then ran out of the end zone for the safety, Ravens tight end Ed Dickson was clearly holding some 49er player.
If that were flagged as "holding", how would they assess the penalty? On the free kick? Make them replay the play? The whole point of the play from the Ravens point of view was to use up time, so there doesn't seem to be a good way of penalizing a team in that circumstance.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7124 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a question.....On the play near the end where Sam Koch was punting for the Ravens and held the ball and then ran out of the end zone for the safety, Ravens tight end Ed Dickson was clearly holding some 49er player.
If that were flagged as "holding", how would they assess the penalty? On the free kick? Make them replay the play? The whole point of the play from the Ravens point of view was to use up time, so there doesn't seem to be a good way of penalizing a team in that circumstance.

It should have killed the clock instantly and resulted in a safety, giving the 49ers a few more seconds to maybe run one play, hail mary or whatever, instead of just returning the kick and having that be it. Probably doesn't change the results of the game and certainly doesn't screw SF. That would just be whining to think that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
quote:

A big +1 but it will never happen. One of the espn radio people said the NFL has studies showing that Sundays are a better TV watching night and if they move it to Saturday they lose the casual viewer.

Sunday - Wednesday are peak viewership nights, with Sunday nights being the highest by far - especially for extended commitment viewing (TV movies, specials, live events, etc).

While I agree that practically any show will perform better on a Sunday night rather than a Saturday, the Super Bowl may be an exception. The Super Bowl has turned into a social event. If it were on a Saturday, you could argue that there could be an increase in casual viewership, as people who don't care to watch the game would in fact watch it because it's "what we're doing Saturday night". On Sunday the casual viewer can use "I have to be up early tomorrow" as an excuse to bail.

With that being said, it would now be competing against people's Saturday nights. So families that are going out to the movies, people going out to dinner / dates, party-goers, etc would need to decide if they'd rather watch the Super Bowl, or go on a date / out to a club, etc.

Anyway, I agree, highly unlikely we'll every see it happen, but I would really appreciate it.

Posts: 4870 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would it be too crazy to ask the NFL to adjust schedule so that the Super bowl can fall on the sunday either before MLK's birthday or President's day? It is only a two week adjustment.

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1547 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people will be on vacation then, cutting down on the number of viewers and advertising revenue. The entire season would have to be rescheduled to do it.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36766 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Superbowl should be a best of 3, with each team getting one home game before the final game if needed.

Posts: 1653 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surely you jest

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36766 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I think that television and adverts are the main reason for Sunday night game, another factor that would prohibit it moving to Saturday is that it cuts into the Host City revenue. Surely any city would want that extra day.

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 901 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post