WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Danica Patrick - pole position for Daytona
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Danica Patrick - pole position for Daytona
 Login/Join 
posted
Discuss. Popcorn

Posts: 5366 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an open wheel fan who danced a jig when she left Indy I can happily say "who cares!".

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1913 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I care. It not that she is a female, but rather a fast, good, winning driver.

Great job!

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6248 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would rather see her on another pole. Devilish

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1532 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was hoping there would be a link to a photo. Big Grin

Posts: 9993 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She is one attractive lady though.

Posts: 9380 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd boink her.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
~ I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'.

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Apr 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first of many to follow.

A toast to Danica! Smile

Posts: 1644 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danica Patrick SI Swimsuit Collection 2009

Danica Patrick SI Swimsuit Collection 2008

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."
~ I'm not sayin' ... I'm just sayin'.

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Apr 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think NASCAR is scripted like a reality show. Should be a very highly rated Daytona. I am not trying to take anything away from her. She is fast.

Posts: 73 | Location: VA | Registered: Apr 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ADC:
I think NASCAR is scripted like a reality show. Should be a very highly rated Daytona. I am not trying to take anything away from her. She is fast.

Qualifying in NASCAR at tracks like Daytona is more about the car than the driver. She's certainly good enough to not mess up in Q with the best car. I also think she's good enough and smart enough to figure out how to win, and pull it off now and then. Of course NASCAR is more about drafting relationships than pure skill. The best driver in the best car without drafting partners will finish several laps down.

NASCAR gave up on scripted wins years ago. Too many team owners were raising a stink. They didn't like that crap going on when they're running for a championship (ie. having their fastest legal car finish 2nd). So, now they have these mysterious well timed poles, especially at Daytona, especially when it's a great PR story or a driver's sponsorship is about to run out. Team owners and the other drivers understand it's good for their sport and is uncommon enough and minimally impactful, so they don't complain.

Meanwhile, back in Indy Car, there are three female drivers who I think are better than Danica...

Posts: 1767 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

I wondered how long it would take for a stripper pole reference to be made.

Over half a day... I am disappointed.

Razz

Posts: 6430 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
quote:
Originally posted by Merengue:

I wondered how long it would take for a stripper pole reference to be made.

Over half a day... I am disappointed.

Razz

What makes you think he was referring to a stripper pole? Eek

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13445 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL

Posts: 1570 | Location: London, ON | Registered: Nov 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct. That was an assumption.

You know what they say about an assumption. It makes an "ass" out of "u" and "mption".

Posts: 6430 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never found cars going around a paved circular road very entertaining.

Posts: 2384 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chard:
LOL

+1

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1532 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mountainman:
I have never found cars going around a paved circular road very entertaining.

+ all F1 fans

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6248 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danica finished a very respectable 8th. I don't watch NASCAR or any other sports on oval tracks.

Prefer MotoGP, F1 and WSBK.

Posts: 73 | Location: VA | Registered: Apr 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danica ran a nice race. She had a fast car, but resisted the temptation to run it all out, which does not work in restricter plate racing (Daytona and Talledega). In this type of racing, you need partners in the draft to pass. She was in third on the last lap, and if she would have stayed in front of Dale Junior (who left the draft for the inside lane), she probably would have run the race. I chalk that up to inexperience or the spotter, probably a combo of both.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Danica finished 4 spots ahead of her boyfriend and 33 spots ahead of her team co-owner, so she can't get any grief from them.

Posts: 3036 | Location: Boca Raton, FL | Registered: Dec 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She ran solid and strong and avoided doing anything stupid. She got caught out at the finish because Biffle right in front of her had to check up a little just as the train was coming below. Biffle blamed/credited Johnson for that. The top lane was faster all day, so it made sense to stay there and make a move out of the last corner.

Anyway, excellent for her 11th Cup start. She showed she's quite capable of winning there, and she knows she has a lot more to learn and has the drive to do it.

Posts: 1767 | Location: Mountain View, CA | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post