WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    What are you giving up for Lent this year?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What are you giving up for Lent this year?
 Login/Join 
posted
As much as I enjoy reading your posts, I will be giving up my forum and limiting my internet access during Lent. This includes Cellar Tracker, travel forums, etc. Come to think of it, I think I will limit my internet access to my primary personal email and NY Times.

See you all in about 6 weeks!

Posts: 5216 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
organized religion

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7683 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
organized religion

Winner

Posts: 5119 | Location: Miami | Registered: Mar 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Reading DoubleD's posts. Big Grin

Posts: 2962 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jorgerunfrombulls:
quote:
organized religion

Winner

Huge +1. Or 2. Devilish

Posts: 5566 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last Saturday, I was talking to friends about getting together for dinner. We tend to do these on a Friday and they usually feature some type of meat, so he said, "well we might have to do a Saturday instead as it will be during Lent." I got an email from him yesterday saying he and his wife discussed it and Friday would work just fine because if the Pope can resign then they can eat meat on Friday during Lent.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2844 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyesintime:
Last Saturday, I was talking to friends about getting together for dinner. We tend to do these on a Friday and they usually feature some type of meat, so he said, "well we might have to do a Saturday instead as it will be during Lent." I got an email from him yesterday saying he and his wife discussed it and Friday would work just fine because if the Pope can resign then they can eat meat on Friday during Lent.

isn't fish a meat? guess its too much to ask to help a friend abide by their beliefs.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 473 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I lent my power drill to my next-door neighbour over 6 months ago now. I'm giving up on ever getting it back.

Cheers!

Posts: 8642 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will try not to complain about anything and remain grateful for small favors.

I'm a non-theist, but it's nice to be reminded of one's good luck just by being around.

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1294 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Seaquam:
I lent my power drill to my next-door neighbour over 6 months ago now. I'm giving up on ever getting it back.

And now I'm going to give up on this keyboard, because with the amount of tea I just sprayed over it the keys are definitely fubar.

Posts: 10293 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
quote:

isn't fish a meat? guess its too much to ask to help a friend abide by their beliefs.

Where in my post does it say that I was not willing to help friends abide by their beliefs? I guess it's too much to ask that someone read a post before commenting on it.

“Appreciating old wine is like making love to a very old lady. It is possible. It can even be enjoyable. But it requires a bit of imagination.”

Andre Tchelistcheff

Posts: 2844 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Jan 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far on this thread, DD seems to be the only one with any understanding of what Lent is actually about.

My answer is that I am giving up some of my time normally allocated elsewhere in an effort to deepen my relationship with God and my family.

May peace be with you all.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
quote:

Come on, finz. Really? Roll Eyes Lighten up.

Cheers!

Posts: 2926 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm doing volunteer work at a local clinic.

Posts: 9515 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
So far on this thread, DD seems to be the only one with any understanding of what Lent is actually about.

My answer is that I am giving up some of my time normally allocated elsewhere in an effort to deepen my relationship with God and my family.

Well said. I am big on using this time not to deprive yourself of something, but to better yourself (although I suppose these can go hand in hand).

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 1034 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is one of those times where I wish I wouldn't have posted. Sometimes what I consider simply a joke may not appear that way to others, but I can see how it might be taken as a jab. Apologies if my comment above offended anyone.

Posts: 5566 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Candy
Beer
Ice Cream
Pizza

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6458 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The 'new church' allows meat on Friday and ecpevially if you are over 75 years of age.

I still strive to teh old church, meatless Friday [if possible]

Posts: 6458 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where in my post does it say that I was not willing to help friends abide by their beliefs? I guess it's too much to ask that someone read a post before commenting on it.

That was given up for Lent. Also many other days

posted Hide Post
Lint.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13670 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not really I did my time. You can't be Irish Mexican and not.

Did you know the Romans considered the practice of meatless Friday's completely barbaric and disgusting? They equated it to ritual cannibalism.

I lean towards Epicureanism and as such wish no pain on anyone for the practice they follow, but I wouldn't give pain to anyone either because they disagree with mine.

Stefania Wine

Posts: 7683 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not really I did my time. You can't be Irish Mexican and not.

I understand. If something is crammed down your throat, it is natural to be repulsed. I'm a convert, so I probably see things from a different angle.

Did you know the Romans considered the practice of meatless Friday's completely barbaric and disgusting? They equated it to ritual cannibalism.

Do you?

I lean towards Epicureanism and as such wish no pain on anyone for the practice they follow, but I wouldn't give pain to anyone either because they disagree with mine.

I'm not sure I follow you on this one. (?)

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3238 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patespo1:
quote:

Well said. I am big on using this time not to deprive yourself of something, but to better yourself (although I suppose these can go hand in hand).

Indeed. Well said Redhawk.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redhawk - Not something crammed down my throat just not something I still keep as a value. My mom attends Mass at least twice a week, and we take care of the vines at our local Catholic church. There's no hatred. I go in every St Vincent's day and ask the priest to say a prayer for our year, and drop him off a couple of bottles of wine.

I was just trying to make the point that perspective is relevant and not to assume that not agreeing is equated to not knowing. The Romans knew what it meant, and their perspective made the practice seem repulsive.

Epicurus http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicurus

Not the modern definition. One of my favorite bits of wisdom from him is that the quality of the wine does not matter as much as the quality of the people you drink it with.

Stefania Wine

posted Hide Post
When I was a kid I got in trouble for asking to many questions in Sunday school about a number of things including lent. My mom sat me down and we had a good talk about my thoughts on the Catholic Church and based on that conversation I didn’t have to go to Church or Sunday school anymore. My sister and brother didn’t like that very much, but they couldn’t articulate their thoughts as well as I could. Razz

Posts: 6594 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post