WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Best College Football Games Ever Played
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best College Football Games Ever Played
 Login/Join 
posted
These are the types of discussions that get sports fans arguing constantly, but they are fun since it is only opinion. I am sure that the ones listed will reflect personally on that fan's team, as well it should. To be considered truly great, the game should be for the highest stakes (with one exception) and with a great finish. Upon this premise, I will proceed with my picks.

Category One - Games Not Involving My Team in Chronological Order

1) 1969 Texas 15 Arkansas 14

Dubbed the "Big Shootout", this one pitted Darrell Royal and Frank Broyles. Arkansas went out to a 14-0 lead, but Texas used a 4th down 44 yard pass to a little known TE named Randy Peschel in the final drive. This game pitted the Texas wishbone against the Arkansas veer.

2) 1971 Nebraska 35 Oklahoma 31

The shame of college football is that this great rivalry is not played anymore. This was a back and forth contest pitting the best two teams. Nebraska scored via a Johnny Rodgers punt return and four Jeff Kinney runs to hold off Oklahoma's vaunted wishbone (believe it was Mildren, Pruett, Crosswhite etc).

3) 1991 Miami 17 FSU 16

This was the first of the "wide right" games that jinxed Bobby Bowden, as Miami cost him several national titles. The entire roster of each team seemingly were pro prospects. This was a great game for at least ten years during this period.

4) Jan 2003 Ohio St 31 Miami 24

This was an overtime thriller in the Fiesta Bowl for the BCS Title. Ohio State was a decided underdog, but gave the talented Hurricanes fits to win a close one. The Buckeyes were aided by a questionable interference call.

5) Jan 2006 Texas 41 USC 38

My bet for the best game ever. This was played in the Rose Bowl for the BCS Title. It featured Regie Bush, Matt Leinert, Vince Young and a whole host of future pros. It went back and forth from the get-go, with Vince Young scoring on a 4th down run late to secure the win. One of the few games that I wanted to go on forever.

6) Jan 2007 (the exception) Boise St 43 OU 42

This Fiesta Bowl was the game that made Boise State a brand name. The heavy underdog Broncos came back from double digits late to force OT, and then pulled out every trick play known for the win. The game ended on a statue of liberty run for a two point conversion.

Category Two - Games Involving My Team

I know this may seem funny, but I have not included the three national title wins (96, 06, 08) in this due to the lack of a dramatic finish.

1) 1997 Florida 32 FSU 29

I was in the Swamp for this thriller. It was the only time in the Spurrier Era where I walked into the stadium knowing a loss was coming. The Head Ball Coach shuttled QBs Doug Johnson and Noah Brindise, and the Gators moved the ball on the Number 1 Seminoles (they were really good that year). FSU jumped to an early lead, scoring on a Fred Taylor fumble, but Taylor returned the favor by scoring on a 50 yard run. After a Sebastian Janekowski FG to make a four point game (still remember his mocking chomp), the Gators scored in three plays. It was the loudest I have ever heard the Swamp.

2) Dec 2008 Florida 31 Alabama 20

You cannot have a list without the SEC Title Game or Tebow, and this one had both. This was Saban's second year and the Tide was unbeaten going into the game. After a tight first half, Bama used that patented running game to seemingly take control of the game. However, Tebow willed his team to victory with two clutch fourth quarter TD drives. It was the happiest I ever was coming out of a stadium.

The two games that made me sick were Lindsay Scott (still cannot watch the play today) and Georgia in 1980 and the choke at Doak in 94 when FSU rallied to tie the Gators scoring 28 points in the 4th quarter (thankfully, no OT at the time).

I do believe that the game last Saturday absolutely belongs on this list.

Posts: 1948 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No 1988 Catholics vs Convicts? Late in the season, both teams undefeated, No1 vs No2, UM scores late to be down one and goes for two to win it. I think that's gotta be on there.

Posts: 4517 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed. Forgot about that one, but it was the game that year.

Posts: 1948 | Location: Myrtle Beach, SC | Registered: Oct 29, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Buckeyes 'Canes game Jan 2003 had 37 of the 43 starters (chris gamble started both ways for OSU) drafted by the NFL. Not only a great game, but both teams loaded with talent

I think I might be able to help with the Pan, Pam dilemma

Posts: 934 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: Dec 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a great one, despite my team losing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek3yw6zADls

I ended up shattering my wedding ring (accidentally!) after this play!

On, Wisconsin!!!

Posts: 1541 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
#1 Game of the Century, 1971 Nebraska vs. Oklahoma.

The late great Beano Cook said it well, They can quit playing college football now, they have played the perfect game.

#2 1969 Texas vs. Arkansas

#3 1966 Notre Dame vs. Michigan State

#4 1987 Penn State vs. Miami

#5 2006 Texas vs. USC

#6 2003 Ohio State vs. Miami

#7 Game of the Century II 1987 Oklahoma vs. Nebraska

Still thinking about my final three votes. Wink

scbeerman, you are correct about OU vs Nebraska. These teams won 4 out of the first 6 National Championships in the '70's. Even though the sheer arrogance at Texas killed this and the Texas vs Texas A&M series after 100+ years, OU and Nebraska will resume playing in 2021. Cool

Posts: 30100 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about the 1984 game where Doug Flutie's Hail Mary pass beat Miami?
Miami had gone ahead with a touchdown and Boston College got the ball on its own 22 yard line with 28 seconds to go.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7148 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Texas VS USC game in 06 was as good as I've ever seen.

Posts: 1133 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1983 When Miami beat Nebraska.

Only death is free, and even that costs you your life

Posts: 1905 | Registered: Apr 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1989 Holiday Bowl between BYU and Penn State. Ty Detmer was crazy that night!

Posts: 1677 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot about that Miami win over Nebraska as that was an incredible game. That win started the Canes run of four titles in the next ten years. Tom Osbourne could have kicked the PAT to tie the game and get voted #1, but he went for two and Miami stopped it. Good one.

posted Hide Post
One game that should be included is the 2006 match-up between #1 Ohio State and #2 Michigan. With eventual Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith leading the way, the Buckeyes won 42-39.

This was the first game I can remember where there was a lot of talk about a rematch for the BCS Championship Game (which of course didn't happen).

4 out of 3 people have trouble with fractions.

Posts: 627 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: Sep 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that this game could be viewed on the list as it had the hype, but the subsequent bowl games tarnished this game somewhat. The Gators smoked OSU in the BCS Title Game, and I believe that Michigan also lost their bowl game.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
Miami had gone ahead with a touchdown and Boston College got the ball on its own 22 yard line with 28 seconds to go.

+1,000,000

1975 Georgia Tech v Notre Dame Popcorn

Looking forward to those mags of '08 Salon.

Posts: 2339 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:

+1,000,000

RUDY! RUDY! RUDY!

1975 Georgia Tech v Notre Dame Popcorn

Posts: 529 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dick Tree:
One game that should be included is the 2006 match-up between #1 Ohio State and #2 Michigan.

This was the first game I can remember where there was a lot of talk about a rematch for the BCS Championship Game (which of course didn't happen).

Thankfully it didn't happen as Florida clobbered the Ohio State for the NC and USC dominated Michigan in the Rose Bowl. These clearly were not the best two teams that year (which is why I despise NC match-ups with two teams from the same conference). That was a good game though.

Although it broke my heart, the 06 Rose Bowl was my all-time favorite. The 97 Ohio State vs. ASU Rose Bowl was a pretty good one, too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Red guy in a blue state,

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2923 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know lots of games have been touted as "the game of the century", but around here, that title generally alludes to the 1966 Notre Dame vs. Michigan State game which ended in a 10-10 tie, where ND went on to claim the AP National Title, even though both teams finished 9-0-1. Neither team played in a bowl game that year, as Notre Dame refused bowl game invites prior to 1969 (my, how times have changed), and Michigan State could not go to the Rose Bowl because the Big Ten had a rule that you couldn't go to the Rose Bowl two years in a row, and Sparty had already gone the previous year.

Pretty much any time you have #1 playing #2, you have a "game of the century".

But as far as entertainment goes, I may be a homer, but you would be hard-pressed to beat BOTH Michigan State vs. Wisconsin games last year.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Saginaw, MI | Registered: Mar 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redhawk:
But as far as entertainment goes, I may be a homer, but you would be hard-pressed to beat BOTH Michigan State vs. Wisconsin games last year.

I'd prefer the first game of the two last year. Wink

Posts: 3195 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post