Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VinToronto:
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Vin, KSC02 was curious about your purchase, so I shared your email with him.

I requested w+a to send me your email as I didn't want to 'pile on' the post. I hope you don't mind.

I really like your Hoffman, VinToronto. In fact, the email came in on my iPhone and was attached at the bottom. Reading the written work prior to seeing the piece was excellent and I'm glad I saw it in this order. In fact, I really enjoyed both pieces (written and painted). Seperately, they were excellent. Together they enhance each other even more.

Well done, VT. I've admittedly, not been aware of Uno Hoffman but this has really caught my attention. I am beginning to read up a bit now. Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome, although C deserves most of the credit both for both inspiration and acquisition.

If you've got my e-mail address and you're so inclined, I'd love to see what kind of objets d'art move you. If not - totally cool.

Vin, I will forward your email to KSC02 just in case.

Posts: 29644 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched the Simon Schama "Power of Art" segment on Caravaggio last night. The production is a bit melodramatic, but the underlying facts are fascinating.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Watched the Simon Schama "Power of Art" segment on Caravaggio last night. The production is a bit melodramatic, but the underlying facts are fascinating.

Thanks.

The Kimbell exhibit ends next week on Caravaggio here in DFW, which was an excellent exhibition.

Their next exhibit starts in March and focuses on Impressionism, which I will not be attending. Big Grin

Posts: 29644 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just heard that Helen Frankenthalar died.

She had a major influence in the art capital of the world ( NYC) for decades.

She was a NYC native, and born into a privileged lifestyle, and her relationship with Greenberg and marriage to Motherwell did not hurt matters either.

She was a student of Tamayo also. For everyone that knows my wife on this forum, please never bring up Tamayo around her. It was my greatest art blunder. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:

She was a NYC native, and born into a privileged lifestyle, and her relationship with Greenberg and marriage to Motherwell did not hurt matters either.
I think of Morris Louis when I hear her name; he no doubt was influenced by her work. Although the transparent nature of the medium and style used by both is not my cup of tea, there is no denying its importance.

Now, I'm off to stretch a canvas and paint with bold tenacity and color! Big Grin

Posts: 1761 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
quote:

I think of Morris Louis when I hear her name; he no doubt was influenced by her work. Although the transparent nature of the medium and style used by both is not my cup of tea, there is no denying its importance.

Now, I'm off to stretch a canvas and paint with bold tenacity and color! Big Grin

MJ, no debate about it, Louis was influence by Helen.

I also agree the color field genre never demanded my attention, but it was a serious movement nevertheless.

posted Hide Post

Posts: 1761 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJAlbers:
WTF? Roll Eyes

I saw this on the BBC. Her ass caused $10k in damage. Red Face

I wonder if stickman ever dated this women person?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Her ass caused $10k in damage. Red Face

Having read the article, I'm under the impression (no pun intended) it was the intial impact to the canvas (stretch?) than rubbing her butt against the work.
The $$ amount of "Damage" is clearly a number pulled out of said Art dealer's a** Roll Eyes

Posts: 15142 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Her ass caused $10k in damage. Red Face

Having read the article, I'm under the impression (no pun intended) it was the intial impact to the canvas (stretch?) than rubbing her butt against the work.
The $$ amount of "Damage" is clearly a number pulled out of said Art dealer's a** Roll Eyes

I can only imagine what Warhol would have done if she had rubbed her ass against one of his works. ( see Dennis Hopper & Warhol) Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
I can only imagine what Warhol would have done if she had rubbed her ass against one of his works. ( see Dennis Hopper & Warhol) Big Grin

Perfect case in point, w+a. This painting now has a notariety that it otherwise would never have. There's an entire stigma to it. It will profit as a result. I'll leave it at that.

Speaking of Warhol, I recall (about 13 yrs ago) back being offered several of his infamous Piss Paintings.
Urrr...no thanks

Posts: 15142 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Perfect case in point, w+a. This painting now has a notariety that it otherwise would never have. There's an entire stigma to it. It will profit as a result. I'll leave it at that.

Speaking of Warhol, I recall (about 13 yrs ago) back being offered several of his infamous Piss Paintings.
Urrr...no thanks

I have never seen these.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never seen these.

You're not missing anything, IMO.
I appreciate Art for what it is and not the notariety around when/why they were made.
PASS

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I have never seen these.

I appreciate Art for what it is and not the notariety around when/why they were made.
PASS

I bought a new work last weekend.... I will email you a poor iPhone photo, soon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
I bought a new work last weekend.... I will email you a poor iPhone photo, soon.

Looking forward to it!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Looking forward to it!

Sent...

posted Hide Post
KSC02, I think I received an email in reply to the photo I sent you of our the new piece, but it was completely blurred. Confused

So, not sure how to reply.

posted Hide Post
Your photo was not comptetely blurred, and when I responded to your email I was sure I intentionally deleted the attachment. Odd.

posted Hide Post
Saw "Chagall and the Russian Avant-Garde" exhibit today at the AGO.

"Blue Circus" is simply electrifying in person.

Posts: 2526 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Chagall is greatness, indeed.

At his death in the 80's, you could still buy some of his work below $4-5,000. Eek

We greatly enjoy our piece, and PlanoWino also has a couple of wonderful works. My twin DoktaP almost bought a beautiful Chagall last year.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Chagall is greatness, indeed.

At his death in the 80's, you could still buy some of his work below $4-5,000. Eek

We greatly enjoy our piece, and PlanoWino also has a couple of wonderful works. My twin DoktaP almost bought a beautiful Chagall last year.

Apparently he produced some 10,000 works in his 97 years. Given that theoretical supply, you'd think prices would still be somewhat sane. What's the entry price point nowadays?

Your piece - what era is it from? I'm guessing 1940's?

posted Hide Post
quote:

Apparently he produced some 10,000 works in his 97 years. Given that theoretical supply, you'd think prices would still be somewhat sane. What's the entry price point nowadays?

Your piece - what era is it from? I'm guessing 1940's?

Vin, you are right. Like so many of the great artist of the Modern Era, printmaking was a serious art form. Many of the serious worldwide exhibits today include well executed prints.

There are quality Chagall prints available for a few thousand indeed, but as you know, there are many variables that one needs to understand.

All this said, Picasso produced 30,000 works, and buying/understanding this minefield can be VERY expensive. Smile

Our Chagall is from 1960.

posted Hide Post
Dalí prints flooded the market so much that they have not appreciated in value much. I remember my dad buying a few in NYC in 1980, and now they are only worth slightly more than his price.

Posts: 902 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Latest Whitney show has a lot of magic realists like George Tooker, Ed Hopper, Charles Sheeler, and this guy, a Canadian who blew me away!

http://paintingperceptions.com...e/walter-tandy-murch

Posts: 902 | Location: SW CT | Registered: Feb 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
I have never seen these.

PASS

ahem... Smile