WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane/Tropical Storm Sandy
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I hope you'll post notes on that Burgundy.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37000 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear back from more folks! Glad everyone is getting reconnected.

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2961 | Location: Napa | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Very funny thread! My wife and I laughed at the "flush his toilets" line! We had no damage to our property, but trees are down all over. Power was off for 6 days. The temperature in the house got down to 53, but that's liveable. We have gas cooking and hot water so we managed fine. Didn't need to ice down the white wine though!

welcome back!

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7189 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks. There are people in our area that are being told they may not have power for up to another week, but fortunately, there are not many of them. The town is providing a shelter because of the cold and lack of power. A storm is expected on Wednesday with 30 mph winds and our emergency notification system is predicting further electrical outages from weakened trees coming down. On the upside, there will not be a shortage of firewood in the foreseeable future.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37000 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Board-O,

Does your practice have power?

Posts: 30284 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. There are people in our area that are being told they may not have power for up to another week, but fortunately, there are not many of them. The town is providing a shelter because of the cold and lack of power. A storm is expected on Wednesday with 30 mph winds and our emergency notification system is predicting further electrical outages from weakened trees coming down. On the upside, there will not be a shortage of firewood in the foreseeable future.

wanna help me clean out my meat stash?

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12378 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Board-O,

It's been out for over six days and was still out when I called a couple of hours ago. No damage. I'll go in in the morning, power or not, and cancel my schedule if need be and do some paper work.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:

wanna help me clean out my meat stash?

g-man, the gym's been closed all week and I've been doing nothing physical except a few miles a day walking around the area. The last thing I need to do now is eat. Thanks for the offer. In these temps, your home must be like a refrigerator by now. We were down to 53 this morning.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Welcome back. Glad to hear you and frau are safe.

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6416 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1.3 million homes still without power in the northeast and it's getting really cold. In the 30s here last night.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Glad to hear you got the power back on. It is the most wonderful feeling when suddenly the lights come on and you realize that you have electricity again.

With the new storm coming, I hope that the work crews can get power up for more folks.

Posts: 6526 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's also played havoc with deliveries. Rene Rostaing was supposed to show up last Thursday, but he'll be here today.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
Sat in a gas line for 1 3/4 hours and was 10 cars away when they ran dry. On a new line now for an hour and am about 20 cars away. Still no power in my office building.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Sat in a gas line for 1 3/4 hours and was 10 cars away when they ran dry. On a new line now for an hour and am about 20 cars away. Still no power in my office building.

ther'es a rationing now

if you have odd plate it's today

even for tomorow

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12378 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's also played havoc with deliveries. Rene Rostaing was supposed to show up last Thursday, but he'll be here today.

I hope he shipped himself in a climate-controlled container with plenty of "essentials."

Banana

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 6142 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rene Rostaing and Pierre Usseglio arrived at cellar temp or slightly below.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

ther'es a rationing now

even for tomorow

Seriously, what happens at the end of teh month with the 31st and then the 1st? Two ODD days in a row.

Maybe the 31st could be a FREE day for all cars

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6416 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I waited almost 2 hours last Sunday but only waited less than 30 minutes on Tuesday. Yesterday, I saw a couple of gas stations that were open and had virtually no wait.

Posts: 5181 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Bowers [i.e. FlWino]:
quote:
quote:

ther'es a rationing now

even for tomorow

Seriously, what happens at the end of teh month with the 31st and then the 1st? Two ODD days in a row.

Maybe the 31st could be a FREE day for all cars

Yes, on November 31, everybody gets free gas and a case of Romanee Conti.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
Board-O,

It's been out for over six days and was still out when I called a couple of hours ago. No damage. I'll go in in the morning, power or not, and cancel my schedule if need be and do some paper work.

Ouch. I hope you have BI insurance.

Posts: 30284 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
30 day waiting period. I called somebody in the building today, and, while they didn't answer, instead of going immediately to the phone company voicemail, it rang four times and their answering machine picked up. When I go in in the morning, I expect the power will be on.

Just one more sip.

posted Hide Post
hey guys long time long type!
We lost power day of sandy got it back day after the last storm (Thursday nov 8th). Sandy put a tree on our house, our shed, took out our retaining wall, our fencing, and some lines on the side of the house. 2nd storm took down a few more trees with hottub getting redamaged. Last night was the first time my family (wife and 21 month old) stayed together in our home which was an awesome feeling I must say).
I was shocked to see how quickly the infrastructure failed in so many regards during and after Sandy. I would love to find out how much of a baby boom happens 8-10 months from now cause of this.
my town while no where near water was hit damn hard with the winds from sandy and then the heavy wet snow this past storm which brought down a lot of trees which didn't fall but were damaged during sandy.
If anyone has suggestions on which whole house natural gas generator (17 or 20kw) as I am in the market LOL.
No one got hurt which is the ONLY thing that mattered and everything else can be fixed or replaced.
I did drink a LOT of awesome wine for some reason (end of the earth feeling or maybe I did not spend that much time with my parents since I was nine). We bbq steaks 1st day after sandy with 94 dominus . Dinner that night included a 77 dow. no daily drinkers were consumed for duration (10 plus bottles popped- 2 1ST growths, 3 bottles of vp, couple big cabs/meritages, few desert wines,etc)

Posts: 809 | Location: Long Island, NY | Registered: Jul 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by differentdave:
No one got hurt which is the ONLY thing that mattered and everything else can be fixed or replaced.
I did drink a LOT of awesome wine for some reason (end of the earth feeling or maybe I did not spend that much time with my parents since I was nine). We bbq steaks 1st day after sandy with 94 dominus . Dinner that night included a 77 dow. no daily drinkers were consumed for duration (10 plus bottles popped- 2 1ST growths, 3 bottles of vp, couple big cabs/meritages, few desert wines,etc)

I'm glad to hear your family is safe and applaud your attitude with regard to opening wine. Smile

Posts: 6142 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave,
I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt during the storms. If you need help with anything, let me know. I can provide some manual labor in helping clear the tree or rebuild your retaining wall.

Posts: 5181 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Hey Dave,
I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt during the storms. If you need help with anything, let me know. I can provide some manual labor in helping clear the tree or rebuild your retaining wall.

How are your snow-removal skills? You should see my driveway. Razz