WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Travel and Entertainment    Ouch, sad way for Joe Paterno to end his career.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ouch, sad way for Joe Paterno to end his career.
 Login/Join 
posted
What was he thinking?

"I passed along the information."

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1255 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unbelievable. If the former defensive coordinator is guilty of the accused crimes then the entire football program reputation is ruined with him. What a waste of a career for Joe.

Posts: 1604 | Location: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Apr 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is such a tragedy on so many levels. How could JoePA, Mike McQuery, the AD and president not report this to the police?

Sandusky even kept showing up to the team facilities routinely plus he ran football camps at satellite campuses.

Truely disgusting all around.

Posts: 517 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Aug 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinoman7:
This is such a tragedy on so many levels. How could JoePA, Mike McQuery, the AD and president not report this to the police?

Sandusky even kept showing up to the team facilities routinely plus he ran football camps at satellite campuses.

Truely disgusting all around.

+1 sad to say, but Joe got to go!! He should have followed up as to what was happenin' and report it. Why report it to high-ups? Do it your self!

Posts: 6148 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Frown I don't have words.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sad for Paterno? Confused

I tend to think how sad for the young boys that were raped, and their life since.

Screw Paterno for not doing the right thing, and for continuing to let this happen to others. Mad

Posts: 29545 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

I tend to think how sad for the young boys that were raped, and their life since.

Screw Paterno for not doing the right thing, and for continuing to let this happen to others. Mad

+1

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5968 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'd say you should re-read the post.

I didn't say I was sad for Paterno, I said it was a sad way to end one's career, going out as someone who covered up pedophilia.

Muammar came to a sad end, but I am not sad for him.

There's a distinction.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: The Cabernet of Doctor Caligari,

"What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the red wine of Shiraz into urine?" -Isak Dinesen

Posts: 1255 | Location: Chico, CA | Registered: May 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tales of what was covered up by Penn St. personnel are profoundly disturbing. If I came upon what Sandusky was doing to a 10 year old boy in the showers of the men's locker room, I'd go straight to the police rather than straight to Paterno's home.

I know a couple of Penn St. alumni who are ending their annual donations to the school, and are disavowing any allegiance for the school they attended. The university is going to take a pretty big hit financially that will take a very long time for them to ever recover from.

There's no amount of suffering that Sandusky could endure that would ever absolve him from the crimes he committed. I hope his victims are able to take some solace in finally seeing their tormentor get charged, convicted and put away forever.

Posts: 639 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I came upon what Sandusky was doing in the shower to a 10 year old, I enter the shower, grab to boy and take him straight to the hospital. I would NEVER walk away with the boy there!

I then go to the police about Sandusky.

Posts: 29545 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I came upon what Sandusky was doing in the shower to a 10 year old, I enter the shower, grab to boy and take him straight to the hospital. I would NEVER walk away with the boy there!

I think I would have gone for the guy's throat first, THEN taken the boy to get care/help.

In Canada? Really? Duties in?

Posts: 2014 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RIGHT ON!!!!!

Joe Must Go. Now, not later. Fired, not retired.

Posts: 6148 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel no pity for Paterno. ZERO.

He should have left 10+ years ago.

Now he just looks like a pathetic, delusional old man.

Shame on him and anyone at PSU, and their isolated, "happy" community, that had knowledge of this sick, perverted piece of trash.

They deserve whatever punishment they receive. This scandal is going to cost them millions upon millions of dollars.

I hope, although I truly doubt, the victims can find some way to put this tragedy behind them.

"Won't someone tell me what it is they all want?"

Posts: 5968 | Location: Utah | Registered: Jan 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering the multi-million dollar lawsuits that will come from this (times however many victims come forward), not to mention the loss of revenue from donors, substantial impact to enrollment, etc., this could very well bring down not just the athletic program but the university itself. Good enough for 'em if it goes that far.

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1832 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Exactly, how do you NOT just go-off on the guy?

Posts: 258 | Registered: Oct 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:

Put me in this camp. Get the boy away from Sandusky, beat the crap out of Sandusky, call 911.

I think I would have gone for the guy's throat first, THEN taken the boy to get care/help.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13291 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Sutherland:
quote:

Put me in this camp. Get the boy away from Sandusky, beat the crap out of Sandusky, call 911.

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13291 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wineismylife:
I think I would have gone for the guy's throat first, THEN taken the boy to get care/help. Put me in this camp. Get the boy away from Sandusky, beat the crap out of Sandusky, call 911.

+1

An serious and quick ass whuppin' would have preceeded the 911 call. Piece of s___.

And JoePA should be fired. Now.

PH

Posts: 14644 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+2

I have a almost 6 y/o boy and I hate to say it but, Im not too sure a butt kicking would have been enough for me if I had caught him.... Frown

Joe P should be canned yesterday.

-------------

Say NO to Shiraz!

Posts: 2688 | Registered: Nov 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Joe got off too easy Mad

what these jerks let jime retire. Should fire him. Should not let him coach one more game at all.

posted Hide Post
Agreed.

Even given the limited information from his grand jury text, he should be cashiered; his hat pulled off, his epaulets torn from his uniform, his buttons pulled off, and his saber broken, while a drum plays as he is then cast out of the gates of Penn State and the gates are closed behind him, forever.

Utter disgust is Joe's new legacy.

posted Hide Post
JoePa quote from CNN article:

“I am absolutely devastated by the developments in this case. I grieve for the children and their families, and I pray for their comfort and relief. I have come to work every day for the last 61 years with one clear goal in mind: To serve the best interests of this university and the young men who have been entrusted to my care. I have the same goal today. That's why I have decided to announce my retirement effective at the end of this season. At this moment the Board of Trustees should not spend a single minute discussing my status. They have far more important matters to address. I want to make this as easy for them as I possibly can."

You wouldn't have to grieve if you'd just DONE THE RIGHT THING! Those children were entrusted to your care just as much as your players are, and to say you failed at your goal is a vast understatement. The Board should continue to discuss your status and can your a** without the benefit of retirement.

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1832 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retired? Total BS!

He should be fired today, and never represent the college again in any capacity.

I expect the president to be gone soon.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Bevo:
... The Board should continue to discuss your status and can your a** without the benefit of retirement.

'Sad to see how they're handling this. I can only imagine that the public outcry will only increase, and they'll essentially be forced to fire him later... um, make that 'sooner.'

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Posts: 3948 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Jan 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Retired? Total BS!

He should be fired today, and never represent the college again in any capacity.

I expectDemand that the president to be gone soon.

fixed 2 Cents