WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Buying and Selling    Wanted: Few select older mags
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wanted: Few select older mags
 Login/Join 
posted
Our wine club is opening magnums for our Post Holiday tasting to test theory mags age more slowly than regular format.

Would be interested to discuss any for sale:
ardeisfka@aol.com

Thanks,
Ardeis Scott, MD
Seminole, FL

Posts: 431 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a "theory" that's pretty well proven in my experience. That said, provenance, especially with older bottles could totally skew your results.

PH

Posts: 15230 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Define old for this purpose please.

Posts: 720 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The move would be to source Mags and 750s from the same cellar and same provenance. Otherwise, it's a flawed exercise. Fun, but flawed. Wink

PH

Posts: 15230 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The pendulum falls firmy on the fun versus research side. Our control group will be our collective memory of similar 750 ml bottles of same label from same vintage.

By "older" I was hopeful to find mags that might be considered as nearing the decline in their drinking window if the same label was opened in a 750 format. Again, a very unscientific method.

The defining factor for this tasting is our usually male-only group, The Grape Nuts, opens up a Holiday Tasting event once a year to spouses and significant others and thus the magnum size is helpful since our seating will be around 14.

Also saves on corkage fees! 2 Cents

Posts: 431 | Location: Seminole, Florida | Registered: May 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might consider larger format bottles. I've opened Imperials along side 750s. If you're trying to deteremine whether a difference exists, the larger formats may be better. The difference between a mag and a 750 may not be great at all, especially at some point in their development where they are both holding.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36898 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the OP, what price range is the group considering?

Posts: 891 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Champagne is where I have almost always found Mags tasting better side by side of a 750 from my cellar. Not so much Cabernet. Should be a fun exercise.

Posts: 1141 | Location: The OC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably a cap of $500.

posted Hide Post
Great advice about champagne...hadn't thought of that but may put that to good use when I am buying my daughter's birthyear champagnes.

posted Hide Post
This board was a big help in other way. I was planning to include a 97 BV Georges de la Tour and there were several available along with some 95's. I reviewing tasting notes from this forum I was reminded of the TCA taint issue with that particular winery about that time and decided to steer clear rather than be disappointed at a group function. Crying in public over corked wine isn't good!

posted Hide Post
Email sent.

Posts: 3025 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Email sent!

Posts: 891 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: Aug 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ardeis:
Great advice about champagne...hadn't thought of that but may put that to good use when I am buying my daughter's birthyear champagnes.

It is great advice. What is her birthyear? You could probably garner some awesome sugestions from the bubble-heads on the boards for this project.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:
Originally posted by Ardeis:

It is great advice. What is her birthyear? You could probably garner some awesome sugestions from the bubble-heads on the boards for this project.

PH

Bubbleheads, nice! Haven't heard that one before. Big Grin

Posts: 1680 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a single source mag and 750 of the 97 Phelps Insignia if that helps.

Posts: 201 | Registered: Mar 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the various offers but unfortunately none seemed to be quite the right fit for our tasting. We have 5 mags selected and I will post tasting notes in about a week after the Jan 12th event at the Tampa Club.

The lineup includes a '97 Caymus SS, a '95 Pahlmeyer and a 98 Guado al Tasso.

Regards,

Ardeis