WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Buying and Selling    economical way to ship wine home from Italy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

economical way to ship wine home from Italy?
 Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone have experience with shipping wine
home from Italy while on vacation there? I'm
looking for an economical way to send cases of
wine home, if that's possible. I did a quick
check on UPS/FedEx sites at it looks like about
$300 per case. There must be a more economical
way?

Thanks very much for your help!

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good question...I'll be over there in a couple of weeks for 17 days. I'm sending all of my wines with family members attending the wedding. Hopefully they won't have a problem with packing a few bottles in their luggage and carrying a couple of bottles on board. I have 27 people to bring my wine back though, not counting myself or my fiancee.

The only thing I can think of is to buy another luggage, pad it and pack the wine in it. Then check it in as luggage...that is if you haven't reached the maximum number of items to check-in or surpassed the weight limit.

Dat
Hook 'Em!

Posts: 82 | Registered: Apr 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only other options are much slower, and leave you with a much higher likelihood of the wine sitting exposed to extreme temperatures. Absolutely not recommended for wine. A forumite I attended an offline with recently had an beautiful locking metal case with styrofoam inserts that could be checked as baggage, and looked incredibly strong. Perhaps he will chime in with a source for somthing like this. Dat's suggestion to carry as much as you can is a good one. Read mwagner7700's adventure first, though! Big Grin

PH

Posts: 14935 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
Read mwagner7700's adventure first, though! Big Grin
Ahhh... memories. Razz Red Face

Go HOKIES!!!

Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dat:
The only thing I can think of is to buy another luggage, pad it and pack the wine in it. Then check it in as luggage...that is if you haven't reached the maximum number of items to check-in or surpassed the weight limit.

This is the easiest and most cost effective way. I usually wrap each bottle in bubblewrap then line the bottom with thicker bubblewrap, stack the bottles in, then fold the thicker stuff over the top as well. Never had a problem with this. Figure 4 pounds per bottle as far as weight goes.

As for shipping, talk with the wineries or the Enoteca's that you visit. They should be able to get it down to about $10-12/bottle. I have not heard of anything cheaper than that. However, as PH stated shipping from now through the summer is risky. You never know where your wine is going to sit. Even if it goes air, it could sit on the blacktop for hours cooking in the sun. The best bet is to bring it back yourself. Good luck.

Posts: 3020 | Location: Rocky Mountains | Registered: Apr 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
A forumite I attended an offline with recently had an beautiful locking metal case with styrofoam inserts that could be checked as baggage, and looked incredibly strong. Perhaps he will chime in with a source for somthing like this.

That would be me. Big Grin I purchased a piece of wine luggage from a company called Impact Case and Container in Idaho. It's the 12 bottle case with wheels and a handle, so it makes navigating the airport much easier.

Great case, no problems with it. I learned about it originally from Winetex, another forumite here. She's had one for a couple years I believe and hasn't broken a bottle yet (*knock on wood*). They're a little pricy, but try calling and asking for a factory second to save $100. It's only going to get scratched up the first time you check it anyway.

Besides, in getting one to travel with, you'll save yourself from the grief/mourning that Matt went through on his recent trip. Razz (sorry Matt Razz Big Grin)

Posts: 10790 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Apr 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of these as well. Buy the model with a handle and wheels if you get the full case size.

It's a heavy sumbitch when it's full. Be advised it can also be overweight for some airlines if it's full. (extra charge)

People in the airport always ask what it is. I tell them I'm a transplant surgeon and it's got a human heart in it. Cool

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
That would be me.

Big Grin

Thanks for the link. How much was that thing anyway? Must be expensive if they don't post the price on the website!! Eek I'm thinking of one for myself.

PH

Posts: 14935 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC a couple of hundred bucks for a case model with wheels.

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks GA!

PH

posted Hide Post
You weren't kidding about it being pricey, but I guess if you want something bulletproof then it would work. I'm bringing an extra cheap luggage (an extra Samsonite I have) and putting an excess wine in it. Only thing I'm afraid of is seepage/leaks...I just took delivery of a few bottles of Plumpjack CS from their winery and one bottle was leaking. No doubt it was due to the current Texas heat.

Dat
Hook 'Em!

posted Hide Post
Dat: DRINK IT QUICK BEFORE ANY MORE LEAKS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

Sooner or later it all gets drunk. The only questions are, "By whom?" and, "When?"

Posts: 559 | Location: Novi, Michigan, USA | Registered: Jan 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slapshot:
Dat: DRINK IT QUICK BEFORE ANY MORE LEAKS OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

LOL Big Grin Just sent the bottles back for exchange...hopefully they won't sit on a damn FedEx truck all day long before they deliver them at 4PM again.

Dat
Hook 'Em!

posted Hide Post
I frequently travel to and from Italy. You are technically not allowed to put wine in your checked luggage; it needs to be taken as carry on. Have seen a couple of people run afoul of this rule and required to repack everything in the airport.
Casale in Abruzzo

Posts: 1 | Registered: Jul 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stefanaccio:
You are technically not allowed to put wine in your checked luggage; it needs to be taken as carry on.
Is this a new rule? When we went on our honeymoon last September, I origniall had everything in my carry-ons. But, since they were so heavy, I had to repack and check the bag. story

Go HOKIES!!!

Posts: 4865 | Location: North Plainfield, NJ | Registered: Oct 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in Montalcino this month and bought back a dozen bottles of various Brunellos in my carry-on.

One enoteca (bruno d'almasio) was offering shipping for 180 Euro per case to US and actually had many boxes stacked waiting to be picked up. I used a carry-on size hard samsonite. On one leg of my return the airport security decided it was too heavy to carry on (25 kilos) and I was forced to check it. Miraculously, nothing broke, even though the bottes were not padded. On all other segments I was able to carry on and was able to put it in the overheads. Prices are about half or less what is seen here with many labels that never reach the US. For example: 2000 Altesino 25 Eu at the winery, 2000 Banfi 26 Eu at Bruno d'Alm.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jul 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just got back from Montalcino myself. Prices
are definitely much cheaper there, but at 15
Euro or about $20 per bottle to have them
shipped back to the US, I decided the savings
wasn't weren't enough to be worth the hassle
factor of worrying about what happens to them
in transit. I eventually resigned myself to
instead carrying back a few bottles
of things that I can't get here at all, most
notably drinkable grappa, and amaro.