WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Buying and Selling    Shafer Hillside Select
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shafer Hillside Select
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm only taking (1) bottle from the '08 offering. If anybody wants the other one at cost, let me know. Price is ($230) plus tax/ shipping.

Posts: 1284 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack, but I am willing to sell my 2 bottle allocation at cost as well. $230 plus tax and shipping.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance." -Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 269 | Location: Boston | Registered: Feb 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What's up with these postings? The 2008 HSS was sold last summer. I see these 2 bottle allocations - did they just recently do another wave of allocation for them? I'm used to seeing wineries do 2nd waves soon after the first one is done, not 7 months later.

Posts: 2792 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:
What's up with these postings? The 2008 HSS was sold last summer. I see these 2 bottle allocations - did they just recently do another wave of allocation for them? I'm used to seeing wineries do 2nd waves soon after the first one is done, not 7 months later.

Couldn't tell you. My guess is that they're opening the list to make some room for '09. This is my first offer from them for the HSS. The price is right, so I'm biting on (1). I know the original release was some time ago, as I already purchased an '08 at retail around November of last year.

Anyways, I've been very appreciative of forum members sharing allocations with me, so I don't mind doing the same.

Posts: 1284 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting....
I just bought three of these at $195 including tax per bottle.

Posts: 2142 | Location: Florida | Registered: Sep 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redknife:
Interesting....
I just bought three of these at $195 including tax per bottle.

Great price! Mind me asking where?

I see some on Wine Searcher in the $199 range excluding tax/ shipping. Actually, when I bought a bottle of this last Fall, it came as a (2) pack with the '08 Relentless for $299. Not that I'm a point whore Wink, but that was one of those deals that was hard to pass up.

I might eat my words in the next decade or so, but I think one bottle is a good buy for me off of the list at $230. Seeing how these blow up in price vintage dependent, this is a list I'd like to stay on. I've given up on most of the hyper-expensive cults, but for my palate, HSS walks the walk.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shane T.,

posted Hide Post
Guys, really...$230 for 1 bottle? $265 each if you include tax and shipping. I'm new to the forum - what am I missing here? I'd much rather spend $500 on 12 bottles of wine rated in the 90 to 95 point range. Suppose taste is a very personal thing!

Posts: 54 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigTex22:
Guys, really...$230 for 1 bottle? $265 each if you include tax and shipping. I'm new to the forum - what am I missing here? I'd much rather spend $500 on 12 bottles of wine rated in the 90 to 95 point range. Suppose taste is a very personal thing!

Winner

BigTex, welcome to the forum. I'd also like to extend another "welcome" to you to buy whatever suits you. I suppose that one could load up on quite a few 90+ wines (Wilfred Wong Big Grin) for $500. As for me, I'd rather buy what I know I like, as opposed to simply buying the points. But, whatever...that's just me.

posted Hide Post
Thanks Shane, understood. I'm sure this is terrific wine. I just have heartburn when I go north of $150/bottle on anything these days. I get it...supply and demand. Also, the shipping just kills me, but what do you do?

posted Hide Post
BigTex, no worries.

And, it is terrific wine, like a lot of stuff for (1/3) of the coin. If you ever need any recommendations, you came to the right place.

On a side note, I have said before that I don't understand why one would pay more for any wine off of a list, when they can find it for a lower price at retail. In fact, that's the reason why I've ditched some of my mailing list purchases lately. In the case of HSS, their price is fair, and actually lower than what I can buy it at locally. It's one of the VERY few lists I actually care to stay on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shane T.,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wine Sparty:

Hey all, here's the scoop. I am guessing those offering 2008s are receiving their first official allocation of Hillside Select because this was sold last July to people who were already on the active mailing list. I just reviewed my Shafer history, and the first offer I ever received for Hillside select (~8 years ago) was for a vintage that had been released 2 years before the current vintage. So, perhaps that is how they bring new blood into the active mailing list. The next vintage of Hillside select (2009) will be offered this July 2013 which I confirmed with the winery. Great juice though. If you're getting the allocation for the first time, I highly recommend taking it to stay on the list.

Posts: 1567 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents, pardon my newbie questions, but appreciate your coaching here...

I did sign up and received the early allocation. I'm in the process of building up a 300-400 bottle of inventory in my soon to deliver Vinotheque wine cabinet and have been balancing "fine buys", like these, with more of the $30-$100 range of bottles. While I have a healthy wine budget, I'm not rich, nor do I want to overspend.

I'm signed up on all sorts of mailers (Kistler, DuMOL, Ridge, Booker, Stag's Leap, Cakebread, Cht. Montelena, Roco, Carlisle, Arnot-Roberts), as well as buying a bunch of individual bottles on wine.com (the only internet shipper TX allows). I'm up to around 150 bottles with another couple of hundred to go.

With all that in mind, are my wine $ well-placed with Shafer Hillside? If I don't sign up for this, can I still get the Relentless (this is the wine I really want)?

Sorry for the lengthy post - as always, appreciate your input.

Happy drinking!

posted Hide Post
BigTex,

Did you sign up recently for the HSS list? I was on the wait list for about (3) years before I got my offer. If so, that's pretty awesome!

In my opinion, if you're building a collection, make sure it's of stuff you enjoy. Believe me, I completely understand the urge to sign up for every big name list possible. But, if you haven't tasted the wine from any of these producers, you're essentially taking a gamble. So, how do you do that?! Several ways, including maybe buying a few at retail, or attending "offlines" with some great people from here.

"Is your $ well placed with a certain wine?" Well, that's entirely up to you and your palate. Like you said before, if a wine north of $150 gives you "heartburn," are you going to enjoy it because somebody else told you it was good, or scored it 183+ points?

Yes, you can get the Relentless without buying HSS. Simply sign up for the Napa list. Also, Relentless is readily available pretty much anywhere (not sure where you live). IMO, it's a solid wine, made completely in a modern style (rich, ripe, extracted, etc.). Are there better valued Syrahs out there? Sure, but I would still say Relentless is a good buy. By the way, if you want to arrange a trade for a '08 Relentless (Wine Spectator's Wine of the Year! Yay!!!! Winner), let me know what you have.

posted Hide Post
Shane, thanks man...appreciate the response. Even though I haven't tasted the Hillside, I have no doubt that it's outstanding wine. Again, just struggling with the price, or to be more precise, the "QPR" as I've finally come to understand. I'll sleep on it another few nights and make the big decision.

posted Hide Post
Again, no worries.

If you do decide to pull the trigger on the HSS, check out http://www.wine-searcher.com/f...hillside+select/2008

As some have already mentioned, you can find the '08 for less than the winery is asking. The only downside is the winery might kick you off of the list for future vintages if you don't buy from them. If the price balloons up on the secondary market in the future, and it probably will, that would suck.

Also, if you're building a collection, Wine Searcher is an unquestionable asset to finding what you like at the right price.

posted Hide Post
HSS is easily available in most recent vintages and even back to like 95 for very resonable prices. With sale at local binnys the 2008 was $195.

Im all for mailing list and personally im on 5 lists for Pinots and Syrahs but I just dont see why anyone would pay higher prices plus the riduclous shipping that these Napa vineyards want to charge.

Personally I want to revolt against rip off shipping, selling a product for $50 - $200 a bottle then charging $20 per bottle shipping is a scam.

Posts: 443 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm curious (and should know this) but do you have any idea what the typical cost per bottle should be based for UPS/FedEx ground? (recognizing Shafer is defaulting to 2-day shipping)

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by welshstar:
Im all for mailing list and personally im on 5 lists for Pinots and Syrahs but I just dont see why anyone would pay higher prices plus the riduclous shipping that these Napa vineyards want to charge.

To name a few:
Guaranteed provenance
Access to subsequent vintages
Direct support of the winery

Everyone has their own reasons, and reasons for passing, whether we're talking about Shafer or any other winery for that mAtter. These three are the reasons Domino and I both purchase HSS directly from Shafer. Not everyone shares our opinion and that's perfectly fine, but there are indeed very sound reasons for paying a premium over other, less expensive sources.

Posts: 1488 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is good perspective. I stopped my analysis at "I can get this from Binny's at retail or less and avoid shipping," but what I risk is limited or zero availability for exceptional future vintages...2012 perhaps.

I may buy one just to secure my spot on the list, despite the abundance of 2008s available locally.

quote:
Originally posted by AllRed:
quote:
Originally posted by welshstar:

To name a few:
Guaranteed provenance
Access to subsequent vintages
Direct support of the winery

Everyone has their own reasons, and reasons for passing, whether we're talking about Shafer or any other winery for that mAtter. These three are the reasons Domino and I both purchase HSS directly from Shafer. Not everyone shares our opinion and that's perfectly fine, but there are indeed very sound reasons for paying a premium over other, less expensive sources.

Posts: 816 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EB Wine:
This is good perspective.

Rare from me, I know.

We almost always have extra, just in case you are ever looking for some. 2007 and 2008 the only vintages we've gone all in on both allocations (since going active for the '03), due to having two godchildren in '07, and our marriage in '08.

Those who signed up recently and were offered are lucky. My boss signed up, according to him, five years ago and just got the two bottle offer. Start saving your pennies for the 2009 offer, coming in July.

Posts: 1488 | Location: St. Charles, IL | Registered: Dec 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AllRed - ugh! Your comments are making me reconsider whether to buy my allocation or not. Suppose I just need to drink or step off the wine barrel! Good debate all!

posted Hide Post
Please tell me this tastes like drops of dew rolling off an angel's wings - I just plunked down the $532 (tax and ship included) for 2 bottles of wine. Boys, I'm in!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Please tell me this tastes like drops of dew rolling off an angel's wings - I just plunked down the $532 (tax and ship included) for 2 bottles of wine. Boys, I'm in!

...didn't see any angel sweat in these tasting notes. But, these all look quite favorable.

http://www.cellartracker.com/w...48c6d3567490c20de143

posted Hide Post
quote:

BigTex . . .I've been on the HSS list for about 8 years. Yes, this juice has gotten pricey like all of its other Napa bretheren. But, it remains one of my favorite Napa cabs at `1/2 the price of some of the other big names (e.g., Harlan). At the very least, it was worth this first purchase to decide if you like it or not . . . definitely a splurge but I do not think you will be disappointed

Posts: 1567 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks P - I'm really looking forward to it.