WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Buying and Selling    Napa Cult Wines at cost - Part II
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Napa Cult Wines at cost - Part II
 Login/Join 
posted
Hello everyone. I posted the list of Napa (and a few Washington state) cult wines the other day. Most everyone has been very gracious in response, with a few "doubters" or "detractors." Let me be very clear, other than Screaming Eagle and Scarecrow (which as you know regularly command a price-premium at internet auctions), all other wines will be sold at original cost. By cost, I mean, the bottle price from the manufacturer + any tax/shipping I paid on the wine (usually somewhere in the $10-$15/bottle vicinity).

As for criticisms about new posters, you have to start somewhere right? I have been a wine collector for 15 years now, and am just starting to engage in this social-media type discourse/trading

The username Parcival came from my fascination with a book I recently completed ("Ready Player One)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Parcival,

Posts: 2256 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Parcival, you seem like a decent sort. You have handled some fairly pointed criticism with more class than most others.

What I want to know, and I suspect I'm not alone here, is why on earth you would sell wines (or anything for that matter) at cost? I think a plausible answer to that one question would go a long way to alleviating suspicion around your motives.

And if not, what the heck. The banter has been pretty entertaining.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Nov 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder the same - just trying to offload as quickly as possible?

Posts: 2 | Registered: Sep 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ive been in email contact and it just doesnt seem right. The old saying of if something looks to good to be true applies I believe

Posts: 529 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Kevin Lancelotta on LinkedIn (Principal at Lancelotta Consulting in Boston area) was completing his PhD 15 years ago.

Parcival: are you a Principal at Lancelotta Consulting??

Posts: 196 | Registered: Nov 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rudy?

Cheers!

Posts: 2886 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey all, totally fair question. Here's why I initially offered most of my wines at cost . . . I have a 600 bottle sellar with 700 bottles in it right now . . . and I am getting ready for this year's release. I don't have unlimited cash and don't fancy myself a wine investor per se. I just enjoy wine. I love collecting the hard to get stuff. But, after spending the money to build my current sellar, I just cannot continue to keep building this list given some of the dramatic price increases many of these wines have gone through. Could I sell many of these wines at higher cost . . . certainly the SQN I could have held out for higher cost, but I would have been just as likely to drink them. So, my quick answer is selling now to clear space and get the funds to continue collecting these specific wines. But, please feel free to email me directly as well. I love to chat wine and I will answer any questions you have to dispel any mistrust

quote:
Originally posted by VinT:
Parcival, you seem like a decent sort. You have handled some fairly pointed criticism with more class than most others.

What I want to know, and I suspect I'm not alone here, is why on earth you would sell wines (or anything for that matter) at cost? I think a plausible answer to that one question would go a long way to alleviating suspicion around your motives.

Posts: 2256 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve . . . I am not only the principal but the owner. And you are exactly correct. . . I received my PhD in child clinical psychology ~15 years ago. Cheers!

quote:
Originally posted by Steve W.:
The Kevin Lancelotta on LinkedIn (Principal at Lancelotta Consulting in Boston area) was completing his PhD 15 years ago.

posted Hide Post
Welshstar . . . I know we've chatted by email. I quite frankly forget what if any wines we agreed I would set aside for you. But, all I can say for now is that I will ensure that any initial shipments are sent in a way that protect both me, the seller, and any buyer. I know that people will have to start receiving their wine as originally promised to dispel any disbelief. But, as I new member, that is my commitment, and if I don't follow through or start going back on my word, you all can feel free to kick me to the proverbial curb.

I entered this forum out of fun and interest in wine, and certainly not to burn bridges with a group of people I hope to discuss and trade wine with in the future

quote:
Originally posted by welshstar:
Ive been in email contact and it just doesnt seem right. The old saying of if something looks to good to be true applies I believe

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve W.:

Roll Eyes, Thanks for the info Magnum.

Posts: 167 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: Jan 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
VinT. . .

The banter has been quite interesting. I will admit my one misstep is offering SQN at cost. I know this is well regarded juice and commands a pretty penny, but I've been selling this to neighbors and friends at cost for years so didn't think much of it. In the future, quite frankly, that might be the one wine I tend to hold off on selling at cost -- not because I want to make huge cash off of wine sales, but because the offer is, as many people have put it, too good to be true.

That said, I am hoping to arrange payment/shipment details with many people over the coming weeks. Still sorting through all the requests I got from yesterday. But, hopefully once people start getting their wine, I will have dispelled any suspicions

quote:
Originally posted by VinT: