WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Buying and Selling    11 Bottles For Sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

11 Bottles For Sale
 Login/Join 
posted
I have the following bottles for sale. They can go as a group or as individual bottles. I've reviewed extensive pricing backgrounds and understand what the highs/lows are and expect that they will go for somewhere in the middle.

All bottles have been kept under ideal conditions since day of sale. All labels are perfect with no tears or scratches. The bottles were always meant for collecting and have been well taken care of.

I have never been on this forum but know that it must be a good place to start. Not sure what the process is from here but starting with listing the wines to see if there is interest.

Here are the bottles:

1982 Chateau Lafite Rothschild (750ml)
1986 Chateau Lafite Rothschild (750ml)

1983 Chateau La Tour Premiere Grand Cru (750ml)
1986 Chateau La Tour Premiere Grand Cru (750ml)

1983 Chateau Mouton Rothschild (750ml)
1988 Chateau Mouton Rothschild (750ml)
1989 Chateau Mouton Rothschild (750ml)

1988 Chateau Margaux Premiere Grand Cru (750ml)

1988 Chateau Haut Brion (750ml)
1989 Chateau Haut Brion (750ml)

1989 Chateau Longueville Bordeaux (750)

1997 Penfolds Grange Shiraz (750ml)
1998 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon BIN 707 (750ml)

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popcorn

Show me a good loser, I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi.

Posts: 2367 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jun 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You mean buy 11 get 2 free!! LOL

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1530 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have never been on this forum but know that it must be a good place to start

This is your first mistake.

Posts: 2384 | Location: Windsor, CA | Registered: Dec 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be nice. The person is simply trying to fulfill a wish. Jeez.

Posts: 5362 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CSM:
Popcorn

+1

Posts: 6429 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fulfillingawish:
All bottles have been kept under ideal conditions since day of sale.

How can you be sure? For 30-year-old bottles, this is of the utmost importance.

Cheers!

Posts: 2882 | Location: Seattle, WA, USA | Registered: Mar 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just so you know, people showing up with their first post being an offer to sell wine do not get much interest. People would rather deal with known sources for this type of product where provenance must be verifiable.

Another way to put it: who would buy a perishable, unconfirmable item from an anonymous person with no history of square dealing and proper storage.

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.

Posts: 434 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Aug 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well put.

Posts: 6429 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by finz:
just so you know, people showing up with their first post being an offer to sell wine do not get much interest. People would rather deal with known sources for this type of product where provenance must be verifiable.

Another way to put it: who would buy a perishable, unconfirmable item from an anonymous person with no history of square dealing and proper storage.

i would,

1$ for the whole lot.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11635 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Finz, you were absolutely correct. Good point. I wasn't sure where to go so I tried posting here just to see if I could find any helpful insights.

As it turns out just calling someone who does in fact know these bottles was the best thing to do.

All of the bottles have been sold (traded-ish) to a Los Angeles sommelier who I know from dining out. Was a very quick and easy chat to the finish line.

Price was a combination of money and dining credits which worked out just fine for all involved.

Interesting forum but in this case fairly useless. Knowing people on the ground always best place to start.

Curious as to the price? In the $2k range. Just a tad more than your dollar bid and it could have been yours g-man.

Thanks everyone regardless. Cheers to your fine wine futures.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first question is where are you located? Someone may want to physically inspect each bottle.

Life without wine?...... Yeah Right.
The Unexamined Life Is Not Worth Living - Socrates
"Wine....offers a greater range for enjoyment and appreciation than possibly any other purely sensory thing which may be purchased" ERNEST HEMINGWAY (1889-1961)

ITB

Posts: 4921 | Location: Louisville, KY | Registered: Nov 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fulfillingawish . . . you and I seem to have gotten the same initial reception. To clear some space in my cellar, I offered a number of bottles of napa cult wines at cost. Wasn't trying to flip wine . . . literally just was over capacity and wanted to share my wine (without losing money) to others that love wine. Skepticism was quite high. Luckily, I have met some really great people who did purchase some of my wines and accomplished my goal -- opened up space for this year's allocations and was able to get people wine they otherwise would have had to pay a lot of money to get on auction sites.

I agree with you that finding someone on the ground in your area is always the best and easiest way to go. But, there are some great folks here on the forum despite some of the snarkiness we all have been and will likely be exposed to!

Great list of wines, by the way!

quote:
Originally posted by fulfillingawish:
I have the following bottles for sale. They can go as a group or as individual bottles. I've reviewed extensive pricing backgrounds and understand what the highs/lows are and expect that they will go for somewhere in the middle.

All bottles have been kept under ideal conditions since day of sale. All labels are perfect with no tears or scratches. The bottles were always meant for collecting and have been well taken care of.

I have never been on this forum but know that it must be a good place to start. Not sure what the process is from here but starting with listing the wines to see if there is interest.

Here are the bottles:

1982 Chateau Lafite Rothschild (750ml)
1986 Chateau Lafite Rothschild (750ml)

1983 Chateau La Tour Premiere Grand Cru (750ml)
1986 Chateau La Tour Premiere Grand Cru (750ml)

1983 Chateau Mouton Rothschild (750ml)
1988 Chateau Mouton Rothschild (750ml)
1989 Chateau Mouton Rothschild (750ml)

1988 Chateau Margaux Premiere Grand Cru (750ml)

1988 Chateau Haut Brion (750ml)
1989 Chateau Haut Brion (750ml)

1989 Chateau Longueville Bordeaux (750)

1997 Penfolds Grange Shiraz (750ml)
1998 Penfolds Cabernet Sauvignon BIN 707 (750ml)

Posts: 2017 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Parcival:
To clear some space in my cellar

Ooh, clearing cellar space! That's my favorite!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36742 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Snarky guy number 1 >>> Board-O

I think its short for B.O. or bad odur

Posts: 499 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a little strange that someone would sell those wines for $2,000 a lot of just those single bottles would go for that. For an average of $170 a bottle i personally would have drank everything

Posts: 499 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by welshstar:
It is a little strange that someone would sell those wines for $2,000 a lot of just those single bottles would go for that. For an average of $170 a bottle i personally would have drank everything

Welshstar . . . hello again. I was assuming the $2000 was a typo or referred to a per/bottle price. Because, this lot would easily fetch $20,000. For $2,000, I too would have orchestrated the most fun wine tasting month of my life.

Posts: 2017 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's short for bad odor, but if people are too stupid to know how to spell the word "odor," I will accept alternate spellings.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36742 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
quote:

It's short for bad odor, but if people are too stupid to know how to spell the word "odor," I will accept alternate spellings.

LOL

"I have drunk not to the clouding of my reason, but just so much that I can still surely distinguish the syllables with my tongue." Athenaeus

"Mimik" on cellartracker.com

Posts: 6524 | Location: Montreal | Registered: Feb 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post