WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Buying and Selling    For those who like Chapoutier Hermitage Blanc Le Meal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those who like Chapoutier Hermitage Blanc Le Meal
 Login/Join 
posted
The Chicago Wine Company just sent an e-mail offering the 2011 for just under $120/bottle. No affiliation from me; simply passing along the info.

Posts: 5565 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could you pick me up a few and send them to me for my birthday? Smile

Posts: 2568 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, I'll do that in exchange for the 1967 D'yquem you'll source for my 50th! Smile

Posts: 5565 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I have 2 inexpensive Bordeaux from 1967 that are over the hill:

1967 Alexis Lichine Bordeaux Contrôlée
1967 Château Patache d'Aux

If you are still talking to me in 4 years, I'll open one for you. Not sure if you would want to drink either of them though.

VM

Posts: 12367 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vino Me, they could be part of a Cubs world series celebration! Smile Binny's has some kind of red from Piedmont from the 1967 vintage. Can't find any info on it though, and not willing to take a chance.

posted Hide Post
I've had different vintages of the 1967 wine Binny's is selling and was not impressed:

1998 Antoniolo Gattinara - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Gattinara (8/16/2003)
Served blind. My first sip revealed an unpleasant soapy/walnut taste and smell. After smelling the wine in the decanter I determined that it was my Sister-in-Laws stemware causing the problem. After dumping my glass and washing it out, the wine revealed a typical Nebbiolo nose. Medium bodied with tart cherry. Much fuller and fruitier than the 1988 with sharp acidity. This was the favorite of 4 out of the 5 tasters. My score= 84 points.

1988 Antoniolo Gattinara - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Gattinara (8/16/2003)
Served blind. Brickish red. Much more mellow and earthy than the 1998. The acidity which is present in the 1998 has considerably faded. Also fading was the fruit. This was still a drinkable wine but was clearly past its prime. I found the finish to be slightly medicinal. Only 1 of the 5 tasters preferred this wine. Interestingly, 2 tasters guessed this was the newer bottle. 78 points.

VM

Posts: 12367 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ugh - thanks for the notes. I cna use that $125 for a case of cooking/drinking garnacha.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vino Me:
I've had different vintages of the 1967 wine Binny's is selling and was not impressed:

1998 Antoniolo Gattinara - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Gattinara (8/16/2003)
Served blind. My first sip revealed an unpleasant soapy/walnut taste and smell. After smelling the wine in the decanter I determined that it was my Sister-in-Laws stemware causing the problem. After dumping my glass and washing it out, the wine revealed a typical Nebbiolo nose. Medium bodied with tart cherry. Much fuller and fruitier than the 1988 with sharp acidity. This was the favorite of 4 out of the 5 tasters. My score= 84 points.

1988 Antoniolo Gattinara - Italy, Piedmont, Northern Piedmont, Gattinara (8/16/2003)
Served blind. Brickish red. Much more mellow and earthy than the 1998. The acidity which is present in the 1998 has considerably faded. Also fading was the fruit. This was still a drinkable wine but was clearly past its prime. I found the finish to be slightly medicinal. Only 1 of the 5 tasters preferred this wine. Interestingly, 2 tasters guessed this was the newer bottle. 78 points.

VM

No dog in the hunt here, VM but I'm wondering how your experiences with differing vintages of these wines apply to the 1967s. It was a pretty darned good vintage in the Piedmont, fwiw.... Again, no specific experience with these wines but vintage, provenance etc. make cross vintage comparisons suspect at the least, no?

PH

Posts: 15355 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Premier Cru has it for $110.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37116 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:

I would pay the $10 premium and get it from TCWC.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:

Big +1

Posts: 30394 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't order it from either one.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37116 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
No dog in the hunt here, VM but I'm wondering how your experiences with differing vintages of these wines apply to the 1967s. It was a pretty darned good vintage in the Piedmont, fwiw.... Again, no specific experience with these wines but vintage, provenance etc. make cross vintage comparisons suspect at the least, no?

My notes might not be relevant but Bill said he couldn't find any info on the Gattanara so I told him what I knew.

Personally I think there is some relevance (not sure how much though). Since 1988 and 1998 were good Piedmont vintages, I would expect the quality of the wines I tried to be better. Since they were not, you might be able to extrapolate that experience and assume that even in the best vintages, Antoniolo's wines might only be in the 90 point range at best. Also, the 1988 I tried was 15 years old and was clearly fading. That probably says something about how these wines might drink at 50 years old.

VM

posted Hide Post
I certainly wouldn't recommend that someone pony up $125 for an unknown 46 year old Gattinara, but you never know. I'd have to imagine that before selling a wine this old that someone at Binny's cracked a bottle? Might be worth a call to see if someone has.

PH

Posts: 15355 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
I certainly wouldn't recommend that someone pony up $125 for an unknown 46 year old Gattinara,

PH

I'm still waiting on mine to be delivered from Premier Cru. Has anyone else already received their pre-order on this wine over 40 years ago? I talked to them last week and seems to be on the way. Smile

Posts: 30394 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
I'm still waiting on mine to be delivered from Premier Cru. Has anyone else already received their pre-order on this wine over 40 years ago? I talked to them last week and seems to be on the way.

Funny.

VM

posted Hide Post
I've only tasted these young, and then only the Le Meal and d'Loree. Anyone with experience on these with some age on them?

Posts: 1736 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
Le Meal and d'Loree. Anyone with experience on these with some age on them?

These wines will age with grace. They tend to shut down around 7-10 years I have found in the past, but will drink very well at 25+ years.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:
quote:
Originally posted by xhoser:
quote:

Big +1

encore +1

Would this wine still have life in it if/when Premier Cru delivers it?

Posts: 1971 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post