WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Buying and Selling    koolspace chiller 900/wines for sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

koolspace chiller 900/wines for sale
 Login/Join 
posted
Wine cooling unit for sale. 900 cbft. coverage. Purchased 1 1/2 months ago from beverage factory for $575. asking for $475. Only used 3 days. Was much larger than needed for closet. Shipping costs??? Picked up. Feels to be approx. 60 lbs. Have some wines will list.
Also am seeking advice from self employed "Trade" people in Ca.
I am a Widow with 2 kids- (who have had to spend the past 3 years living in the family restaurant,on-call 24/7, with me)! My parents recently sold, and I want to find some sort of business opportunity in wine, where I can make great money, and be my own boss. I have been kicking around the idea of on-line personal wine sales, clubs, and gifts. Also thought about doing wine program design and implementation for small restaurants who want to keep up with the "Big Boys"!
Any other ideas?? (The "what not to do's would be greatly appreciated as well)! Thanks!!

Posts: 75 | Location: El Cajon, San Diego County | Registered: Jun 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What restaurant did your family own?

Posts: 8671 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jamacha Junction. A small "Mom and Pop" in El Cajon. My mom became ill these past few years, and my Dad had to stay at home with her. I wanted very much to try and save the place and slowly bring it into the new millenium- by remodeling over the rough spots and enhancing the menu with some specials each week that are typical of the newer culinary styles. Although the "comfort" foods could never have been replaced, without taking away alot of the wonderful charm of the place. It had always been a neighborhood sanctuary, and a genuine melting pot. Everyone felt at home there.
Unfortunately, I was left to run the entire show by myself with very little money, and even less support from my staff. They were very critical; yet, not very willing to pitch in if it wasn't in the job scription. I would do things much differently if i had to do it all again!

Posts: 75 | Location: El Cajon, San Diego County | Registered: Jun 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know that place, right by Harvest Ranch. I have not had a chance to eat there though. Did you notice the "Need Help from US Forumites" thread? aav28 is looking for that 900 model.

posted Hide Post
damnit, with my luck...I know this would happen....Anyway, thanks for all the help....I couldn't wait anymore as ALL dealers in US & Canada are out of stock until Novemeber. So I went out and bought a Breezearie WKL4000 instead, my local shop has it in stock. Now I just have to install the thing...hehehe

http://www.h2o2winecellardesign.com/

Posts: 2071 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What did you pay for it? Does it have to have indoor ventilation or out? I would have preferred something that could have been installed anywhere- "outside", and then vented the exhaust through a seperate duct. Then I would have had the option of placing the wines in a larger area, as well. If it had more oomph, that is. I have noticed that most of the cooling units are alot more pricy than "koolspace."
If you change your mind, I'll be keeping my eyes peeled. I think it was my luck that blew this one, not yours! Frown

By the way SPO, just realized that we share the same town! Talk about a small world! Joan Smith (WH Smith) has a brother who taught high school here. Are you a native?
(Harvest Ranch sure has come a long way with their selections)!

I
quote:
damnit, with my luck...I know this would happen....Anyway, thanks for all the help....I couldn't wait anymore as ALL dealers in US & Canada are out of stock until Novemeber. So I went out and bought a Breezearie WKL4000 instead, my local shop has it in stock. Now I just have to install the thing...hehehe[/QUOTE]

posted Hide Post
Yes, I am a native. Smile Did the brother teach Algebra at Valhalla?

posted Hide Post
Smpltina, paid $1100cad + taxes for the Breezeair WKL4000. As far as I know, most cooling unit out there vent out " inside ".

http://www.h2o2winecellardesign.com/

Posts: 2071 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Feb 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
aav28, Yes, but why?? Smile
I actually was checking out my catalogs this morning, and saw that there is a unit that vents up to 25ft from the actual compressor, inside/or out. There goes my millions! It was $3-$4,000. Good to know,eh? I'm just using a closet for my "Stash". I have a little swamp cooler, which is perfect this time of year. Although the humidifier is optional, it sure comes in handy. This, of course, is only a temporary fix. I also saw quite a few "closet" wine coolers advertised.
quote:
Originally posted by aav28:
Smpltina, paid $1100cad + taxes for the Breezeair WKL4000. As far as I know, most cooling unit out there vent out " inside ".

posted Hide Post
SPO,
OOPS! Sorry for the delay. You're so small,I did'nt see you!! Her brother's name is Tom Agsten- not sure where he taught. Could be! Name sound familiar? I've only been here 14 years. My son just started high school this year! "Granite".
Next time I"ll try catch you sooner!

quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Yes, I am a native. Smile Did the brother teach Algebra at Valhalla?

posted Hide Post
No problem smpltina. Actually the guy I was thinking of was named Smith.

By the way, I realize your funds are a little tight right now but we have started a local tasting group that is going to start getting together. Consider yourself invited when the time is good for you.

posted Hide Post
SPO
Thanks for the invite. I would love to join all of you for an occasional wine adventure! By the way, was checking out the off-line forum; Is it two words, first one starts with a J, 2nd one starts with a ...J???

posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, was checking out the off-line forum; Is it two words, first one starts with a J, 2nd one starts with a ...J???

I am not sure what you are asking. What were you looking at that started with a J?

posted Hide Post
spo
Re: your wine purchase - "anyone care to guess"? Was that not you? Red Face Anyway, I figured that, since I was "stalking", I'de bring it up outside of the particular forum I was eaves-dropping on. So much for being discreet. So the JJ was for Justin "Justification": but, since you weren't really looking for an answer...

Boy, what beautiful weather we had today!! Smile

posted Hide Post
You figured it out. Justin Justification 2004 it is. I am not sure why I did not know what you were talking about, I am a little dim sometimes. Smile

I to enjoy the rain, though many others do not Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: spo,

posted Hide Post
quote:
(Harvest Ranch sure has come a long way with their selections)!

I went in there today and you are right. They are way better than they were just 6-8 months ago. They used to be real heavy on the 2000 and 1998 cabs at high prices. It seems that their prices are better now and they have some intersting wines.

posted Hide Post
SPO
I am very impressed with the time and effort that has gone into their selections! I have to believe that my vino-hyped determination to spread the gospel, inspired some neighboring retailers to get up to speed.

About 9 months after I started educating myself in this field- I began holding wine tastings at the restaurant. I wanted to share the passion- and get some feedback on the wines I was considering for our list. (For only $35 I had 8-12 wines chosen that were absolutely yummy. 01' Don Melchor, The WH Smith-Gems, Rosenblum RR Zin, England Shaw Syrah, etc.. Great stuff!)
It didn't matter if the wines scored high,if they didn't inspire our guests to buy them.
So I put out my numbered "candidates", a great buffet spread of pairing nibblets, and placed tasting cards on the tables. It was very elegant, but had the comfort level of a cozy gathering between old friends! They loved it, and I received great feedback on the wines!
I tasted as many wines as I could, and hunted down the wines that scored high -which were absolute bargains. I kept my mark-up below 100% on bottle sales, (50% on high end bottles)so that excellent wine was within everyones reach.
Shortly after that, they hired a wine "pro" at the market to improve their selection. I'm sure they realized, as I had; that ignorance in a field you are trying to market- is not a very profitable M.O.!
I took it a step further by keeping our prices within grasp, to avoid alienating those on a tighter budget. EVERYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ENJOY A FANTASTIC BOTTLE OF WINE!
Needless to say, for a short while, we had the most spoiled wine drinkers in the county. Especially with our "jumbo" pour.
I do so miss floating around the room on Friday and Saturday nights- turning people on to our latest gems!
Anyway, I know this is a bit long but I had to find some attagirl's for myself, as I've been feeling like a bit of a failure recently!
So there it is- I did one hell of a job on transforming our wine list into one we could be proud of- while changing the wine drinking expectations of many people in El Cajon.

posted Hide Post
I wish I had known. I am only 3 miles away. Currently my favorite local spot is Taste of Italy. Not because there wine list is great, but because I like the food. They do Frank Family Cab by the glass though. I do like that. Smile