WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Buying and Selling    2003 Amuse Bouche- Heidi Barrett Mint Bottle and Signed Lithograph
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2003 Amuse Bouche- Heidi Barrett Mint Bottle and Signed Lithograph
 Login/Join 
posted
Add this to your rare wine collection, or enjoy, as this is nearing maturity! This bottle was ordered in a case of 6 which originally sold for $1350 back in 2004. Heidi Barrett is a very accredited vintner and this bottle should not be anything short of you highest expectations. Asking $300 OBO I also have the original hand pulled lithograph which matches the label of the bottle and is hand signed and numbered by Heidi Barrett. Please email with any questions.
About:

2003 Amuse Bouche Napa Valley Merlot

Early reports from the winery indicates that 2003 (our second vintage of Amuse Bouche Napa Valley Merlot Wine) will be a spectacular one. The warm summer and dry harvest should yield a wine of great concentration and elegance. The juice was highly concentrated with an ideal balance of structure, supple tannins and ripe flavors.

The Napa Valley Merlot grapes were harvested on September 26 at 25.2 brix; the Cabernet Franc grapes were picked on September 23 at 25.0 brix in early September. The wine is currently aging gracefully in a combination of new French oak. This Merlot/Cabernet Franc blend is exhibiting all of the 'Pomerol style' elements we for and has been touted as a one of the finest Merlots from Napa Valley.

To complement the artistry of our small lot production, we commission original artwork to grace the label for each vintage. This vintage will feature another original artwork from artist Guy Buffet. While the '02 label depicts the many-layered joys of wine and food as an integral part of life, the '03 art is a tongue-in-cheek play on the "amusement of the mouth."

View previous vintages.

Accolades for the 2003 Amuse Bouche Napa Valley Merlot

"Screaming Eagle winemaker Heidi Barrett partnered with a friend to produce this stunning Merlot and Cabernet Franc based blend. Silky yet powerful, the wine offers intense black cherry and playful blackberry flavors coated in a blanket of dark chocolate and rich coffee.
- "The Finest Wines, Spirits, Jewlery & Watches - More than 100 of the most tasteful ways to celebrate the holiday season", Robb Report, Holiday Host Guide issue(11/06)

Rated as one of the Best California Merlots - "...this blend of 97% Merlot and 3% Cabernet Franc is a limited production (400 cases) wine.... It exhibits a deep ruby/purple color along with a big, sweet nose of roasted espresso, mocha, chocolate, black cherries, and currants. Well-textured, with superb fruit purity and intensity, full body, and a long finish."
- Robert Parker Jr., Wine Advocate (12/05)

NAPA'S MERLOT MAGIC - "...perennial favorite Amuse Bouche; its Napa Valley bottling is a Pomerol-inspired Merlot blend from a partnership that includes Heidi Peterson Barrett. It's wonderfully aromatic, rich and polished."
- 93 point rating, James Laube, Wine Spectator (10/15/05

"Bright ruby-red. Crystallized currant, licorice and menthol on the nose. Round and ripe but not thick or heavy. Supple but tangy flavors of bitter cherry, red licorice, herbs and spices. Expands nicely on the back half. At once creamy and juicy, with good breadth and fine tannins... graceful and fresh."
- 90 point rating, Stephen Tanzer, International Wine Cellar (01/06)

"Rare Napa reds that are priced in the stratosphere aren't novel any longer, but this one offers some unusual features. Most importantly, it is geared more toward complexity and finesse than the unbridled intensity and power sought by the makers of most Napa "cult" wines. Crafted from Merlot and Cabernet Franc, it displays a host of interesting complexities even in its extreme youth, with a core of dark berry and black cherry fruit accented with nuances of cocoa, dried herbs, woodsmoke and spices. Oak notes are impressively integrated with the fruit..."
- 93 point rating, Michael Franz, Washington Post (08/05)

Rating
Robert Parker 92 points (Dec 2005)
An improvement over the debut 2002, this blend of 97% Merlot and 3% Cabernet Franc is a limited production (400 cases) wine expensively packaged in a heavy bottle with a designer label. It exhibits a deep ruby/purple color along with a big, sweet nose of roasted espresso, mocha, chocolate, black cherries, and currants. Well-textured, with superb fruit purity and intensity, full body, and a long finish, it should be consumed over the next 7-8 years.
Wine Spectator 93 points (Jul 13 2005)
Dark in color, with wonderful perfumed cassis, currant and black cherry fruit that's openly aromatic. The flavors are rich and polished on the palate, with a plush, dense texture and a long, intricate finish that picks up nuances of cedary oak and fresh earth. Merlot and Cabernet Franc. Drink now through 2012.--J.L.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Popcorn

Posts: 1462 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Winesearcher Price: $169

Your Price: $300

Good Luck! Banana

Posts: 1292 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, the OP's screen name is similar to Mensa.

Posts: 5152 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet the provenance was perfect. Just a hunch.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36424 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has the lithograph been properly stored?

Posts: 817 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Shane T. I had only seen the bottle selling for around $300 with no litho- had no idea what the wine is truly worth or if the litho adds value to someone. Obviously its only worth what someone will pay... Will sell for best offer.

EB- The lithograph has been only stored on its side in an underground cellar with a temp range of 51-56 degrees and a constant 63% humidity level so it should be fine! Big Grin

Posts: 2 | Registered: Nov 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who buys Amuse Bouche?

Posts: 1245 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll sign anything for $10 cash or a Manhattan. Just saying.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7538 | Location: San Jose | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
I'll sign anything for $10 cash or a Manhattan. Just saying.

anything? Red Face Wink

Posts: 29594 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
Who buys Amuse Bouche?
I think I see what you did there...

Apostrophes don't make things plural.

Posts: 2930 | Location: Houston | Registered: Apr 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NolanE:
quote:
Originally posted by Danyull:
Who buys Amuse Bouche?
I think I see what you did there...

the double entendre is certianly not lost on me!

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11017 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post