WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Buying and Selling    The too good to be true NAPA wines at cost posting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The too good to be true NAPA wines at cost posting
 Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys . . . Parcival again.

I have been in contact with well over 12 forum members via email over the last 2 days. I am hoping to finalize shipment and payment details for a large number of wines over the coming days. Still sorting through all the requests to distribute things fairly.

I respect everyone's healthy skepticism at my offer. All I will ask is that, for anyone who actually gets some of the wine, please provide your very candid feedback on this forum in the future. I don't care if your feedback is positive or negative. But, there has been enough interest and skepticism voiced, that I'd love to see your feedback aired here on the forum.

And, last note . . . other than the SQN (and Screaming Eagle and Scarecrow which I mentioned I would not sell at cost), I actually don't think offering most of these wines at cost (except some of the older vintage wines) is too out of the ordinary . . . with the exception of the SQN and Marcassin.

Anyway, my first postings and interactions with many of you via email and on this forum has been a very quick and useful learning process!

Posts: 2506 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has been interesting to observe.

I hope that the transactions go well, and I hope that the Buyers will post their feedback.

Welcome to the WS Forums, Parcival.

Posts: 6549 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rothko . . . thank you! I am looking forward to being an active contributor to these postings in the future. And, also I learned a great deal from the responses to my original postings. I received some very welcoming emails from people discounting the criticism and skepticism some people were voicing . . . but I totally understand all the comments. I am hoping to get the first wines out by end of week so I truly hope that people post their comments about their experience buying from me. have a great rest of the week

quote:
Originally posted by Rothko:
This has been interesting to observe.

I hope that the transactions go well, and I hope that the Buyers will post their feedback.

Welcome to the WS Forums, Parcival.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at cost is not bad as i had a few wine shop owners pretend they were wine collectors,
and offering me 50 cents on a dollar for cult wines like im stupid and cant google them

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jan 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe punctuation was a criterion in their evaluation.

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37085 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board-O:
Maybe punctuation was a criterion in their evaluation.

Spit

Posts: 1632 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stephenk . . .

Good point on shop owners surfing the Forums. I have to say that after I made my first posting as a novice, I was shocked at the quick response . . . I wasn't shocked after I checked into current auction pricing on most of my SQN. I don't think I sold to any shop owners, but I know that a few people could turn around and sell what they bought from me and make an easy $600 (if not much more) over what they paid me. Live and learn though. My initial posting was a tad naive (I now realize), but I hope I can trust the people that bought many of my wines to collect/enjoy them rather than just making a quick buck. Having been in regular email contact with many of them, all seem like trustworthy, legitimate sorts. For myself, at least I did not lose any money!

quote:
Originally posted by stephenk:
at cost is not bad as i had a few wine shop owners pretend they were wine collectors,
and offering me 50 cents on a dollar for cult wines like im stupid and cant google them

posted Hide Post
So, just to report, as this was suggested on one of the previous threads pertaining to Parcival's wines, I did purchase some bottles from him over the weekend and all was just fine...

I was in Boston, so we arranged a meeting place & time. We negotiated a fair price (I only got 3 bottles) with which we were both satisfied. He seems like a really nice, straight-shooting guy. There was nothing suspect about any of it.
I inspected the bottles and they were in good condition--no leakage, no bulging corks, no rot, etc. The labels also looked in good condition and no signs of tampering---and also, he did not look like Rudy Kurniawan, which is always a plus!

Anyway, the upshot is that I'm very satisfied with the transaction and I am thinking about getting more wine from him when I'm in Boston next month.

I hope this is helpful...

Happy Hunting!

Posts: 142 | Registered: Aug 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just to piggy back on Brodeaux's posting, I met up with Parcival at his office today. Only picked up one bottle, but will certainly be doing more business with him in the future. The bottle was in perfect condition.

We talked wine for about 15-20 minutes, and joked around about the wonderful, yet totally standard, welcoming he got from his first post here.

On a personal level I couldn't be more thankful for the wines he offered up. Here on the east cost and in particular the fine state of Massachusetts, it is almost impossible to come across a lot of the wines he has in any sort of retail setting, let alone at the prices he offered. I'm only 28, and am not quite in my prime income earning years. So, as a wine lover, it sucks to see all these great wines I want to try marked up so significantly online, auctions, etc etc.

I'll echo his sentiments in saying, I hope people did not take advantage of him to make a quick buck, and will actually be drinking and enjoying these wines themselves.

All in all, very positive transaction.

"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance." -Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 529 | Location: Boston | Registered: Feb 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just received my 2 SQN from Parcival.
Buy from him with confidence guys Winner

Posts: 1064 | Location: Chino, CA | Registered: Oct 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Successfully completed my first transaction with Parcival. The man is absolutely true to his word and - like others that have posted their experiences thus far - he has provided top qualities wines at a cost far lower than he could have received especially if he had sold through other channels. Given all the cynicism from the onset of his first post I give him the utmost respect for the way that he has conducted himself and followed through on his word. I can't imagine offering to provide SQN and others at cost only to be skewered by the naysayers on the boards. Don't get me wrong, a healthy degree of skepticism is good and for those that actually purchase wines from posters on these boards there are a number of ways to verify the seller has the wines and to protect yourself, at least to some degree. I hope to get together with Parcival offline in the coming weeks and certainly look forward to sharing my allocations with him. For those that are on the fence, buy with confidence. PS Hope I kept my misspellings to a minimum Smile

Posts: 24 | Registered: Nov 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
More positive feedback. Received my first delivery - exactly as promised. I think it's safe to say that any of the concerns that were thrown about earlier can now be put to rest.

Also, as you can see, my post number is low but I have been a member for a few years. Typically don't like to post due to all of the negativity. But I'm starting to see some positive change and probably will start to visit more often.

Posts: 119 | Location: Petoskey, MI | Registered: Oct 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, as you can see, my post number is low but I have been a member for a few years. Typically don't like to post due to all of the negativity. But I'm starting to see some positive change and probably will start to visit more often.

That is good - more new blood should be embraced with open arms -

Posts: 231 | Registered: Jun 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe we will learn from this to be a bit more open minded (but still careful) and trusting of new members. The gracious way that Parcival handled us is simply amazing. Thank you Parcival for the way you addressed all the skepticism and not so kindness. Any interest in peace mission in the middle east ? Smile

Posts: 723 | Location: Pinot Heaven - CA | Registered: Oct 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hippomon:
Maybe we will learn from this to be a bit more open minded (but still careful) and trusting of new members. The gracious way that Parcival handled us is simply amazing. Thank you Parcival for the way you addressed all the skepticism and not so kindness. Any interest in peace mission in the middle east ? Smile

Hippomon, I'm going to be speaking with Hillary Clinton and her replacement John Kerry about this exact thing next week!

I will say though, I still completely understand everyone's skepticism. I chalk some of the more snarky comments up to understandable mistrust of someone new, the tendency of people to be more snarky and adversarial online vs. in person, and, quite frankly, my naivete at jumping into a new forum unannounced with a proverbial goody-bag promising no strings attached! But, again, I have a live and learn mentality. I am in this for the long haul. I'm looking forward to trading/sharing great wines with people who appreciate them so that these wines don't wind up on the second-hand market marked up by some outrageous extent. And, with that onwards, and thanks everyone for your support!

posted Hide Post
Most heartwarming thread we have had in years.

Posts: 8784 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
Most heartwarming thread we have had in years.

There is love in the air, right?!

posted Hide Post
Hi

I was very skeptical and reasonably critical of Parcival. Have to say I was totally wrong, Kevin is a totally straight up guy and one of the best online transactions ive ever had in any forum/marketplace.

He is very straightforward, he does exactly what he promises and I am very happy to been proven wrong and to see there are still surprises in our cynical world.

Now i just cant wait to let the wine he sent me sit for a few weeks then taste it.

Alan

Posts: 540 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post