WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Your Best QPR Weekday Wine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Best QPR Weekday Wine
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:
Not that I drink wine every day, but I think I've got you all beat for a QPR.

There has been many posts here about the QPR of Columbia-Crest wines, from the Grand Estates cab and merlots, the H3's, and the Walter Clores. But this is by far the best bang for the buck, imo.
Now click this, and check out the price--
Columbia-Crest Two Vines Vineyard 10 Red

Before you poo-poo it, let me tell you that WA wines are probably predominant in my cellar right now. Most are in the $35-$65 range, some higher. And I still buy and drink a lot of the Vineyard 10. It is better than many $25+ blends I've had from anywhere. And that price just stumps me! That must barely pay for the bottle and label; I don't know how they do it?

I've grown to love Washington State wines. I am going to try this. Thanks for the recommendation, mneeley490

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7190 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
With Board-O and some extent GA. IF I have a good steak on the grill and it's Thursday, I'm going to pull a good bottle of wine.

Paul Romero (tlily)- Owner, Winemaker, Tour Guide
Stefania Wine
http://www.stefaniawine.com

Posts: 7680 | Location: Gilroy, CA  | Registered: May 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefania Wine:
With Board-O and some extent GA. IF I have a good steak on the grill and it's Thursday, I'm going to pull a good bottle of wine.

Ditto. Regarding QPRs, I don't buy for QPR but I often realize a wine has a QPR factor after drinking one. Agree that the day of the week has almost no bearing on what I open. If I'm going to bed early and rising early and I want a drink, I don't open a bottle of wine. A beer or a glass of spirits will often do just fine if I want a drink.

PH

Posts: 15316 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

There has been many posts here about the QPR of Columbia-Crest wines, from the Grand Estates cab and merlots, the H3's, and the Walter Clores. But this is by far the best bang for the buck, imo.

Before you poo-poo it, let me tell you that WA wines are probably predominant in my cellar right now. Most are in the $35-$65 range, some higher. And I still buy and drink a lot of the Vineyard 10. It is better than many $25+ blends I've had from anywhere. And that price just stumps me! That must barely pay for the bottle and label; I don't know how they do it?

I'm another big fan of CC, both as cellar savers and just as very good qpr wines in general. The Vineyard 10 seems to be the most variable of their wines year to year though. I have had it when its shockingly good for 7 bucks and also when it was kind of dull and blah. The 08 I have in the cellar is a good year IMO. Syrah always gets the top billing but the supporting cast varies significantly every year. Probably 10 different grapes have been used in the 4 years its been made and its never the same. Considering that I like the current mix I hope they settle on it. If I remember right the year it has Sangiovese and about 5 other grapes was my least favorite blend (2006?).

Their newer Grand Estate Amitage is another great blend they've put out recently. More traditional varietals and the 2008 was excellent for 9 bucks. Also has syrah but merlot gets the top spot. Probably another one I'll buy every year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Icewino,

Posts: 2300 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cold Creek Chateau Ste. Michelle Cab and Chard are $40 for the pair in Minneapolis so those work well.

Just finished up 2001 Blue Rock Alexander Valley for $10 on closeout proved to be one of the best 3 case purchases in recent memory.

www.twincitieswinetasting.com

Posts: 451 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: Jan 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
- S. Giovanni Tolaini Valdisanti Toscana IGT

Incredible QPR at $25.

Posts: 1609 | Location: Murrieta, CA | Registered: Mar 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
La Cartuja Priorat @ $15 has been my go to lately. As good as any Priorat I've had up to $26-$28ish.....

For Pinot I think Pali Huntington is great at $20.

Posts: 301 | Location: 90049 | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
quote:

I'm another big fan of CC, both as cellar savers and just as very good qpr wines in general. The Vineyard 10 seems to be the most variable of their wines year to year though. I have had it when its shockingly good for 7 bucks and also when it was kind of dull and blah. The 08 I have in the cellar is a good year IMO. Syrah always gets the top billing but the supporting cast varies significantly every year. Probably 10 different grapes have been used in the 4 years its been made and its never the same. Considering that I like the current mix I hope they settle on it. If I remember right the year it has Sangiovese and about 5 other grapes was my least favorite blend (2006?).

Their newer Grand Estate Amitage is another great blend they've put out recently. More traditional varietals and the 2008 was excellent for 9 bucks. Also has syrah but merlot gets the top spot. Probably another one I'll buy every year.

Icewino,
Check out my post in this thread.
The CC Armitage was one of the ones we tried blind, and, oddly, it did not fare well against the others.
As far as vintages go, the '09 and '10 Vineyard 10 are very good also.

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Icewino:
quote:

Icewino,
Check out my post in this thread.
The CC Armitage was one of the ones we tried blind, and, oddly, it did not fare well against the others.
As far as vintages go, the '09 and '10 Vineyard 10 are very good also.

I ended up buying a case of the amitage 09 and it is not as good as the 08 but still pretty decent since I paid wholesale. The H3 les chevaux is really good. The thing about QPR is that it is all relative. What may be an everyday wine to one person at thirty dollars is a splurge to another.

Posts: 61 | Location: Traverse City | Registered: Oct 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shane T.:
- S. Giovanni Tolaini Valdisanti Toscana IGT

Incredible QPR at $25.

Agreed. Also love Tenuta Sette Ponti Crognolo and Campo Al Mare as a daily drinker as well. Recently had a 2006 Il Falcone Riserva for $24 that seemed like a good wine for the price.

Posts: 218 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My definition of an every day wine is one that I will serve guests who have no appreciation for good wine. I don't want to waste a good bottle, but I also don't want to suffer through some nasty tasting plonk. My go to reds are both Spanish:

Beso de Vino $10 @ LCBO
La Casona $9 @ LCBO

Posts: 135 | Location: GTA | Registered: Sep 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2009 Marchesi di Barolo Langhe Rosso

2010 Monte Vicario Soave Classico

2009 Patrice Chevrier Gamay Domaine de Sermezy, Fleurie

Elderton Ode to Lorraine (CSM)

Chateau Beaumont, Haut Medoc

2005 Chateau Reignac, Cru Bourgeois Superior

Posts: 1956 | Location: Etobicoke (Toronto burb) | Registered: Apr 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Right now I like 2009 Marietta Alexander Valley Cabernet. Still needs time but at $11.50 wholesale is a great buy.

Posts: 9485 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To those who say they have no place for cheap wines, or that they don't understand "weekday wines", perhaps you'd like the question better if it were phrased more along the lines of: "what are some of the less expensive wines that you enjoy", or "what wines drink way above their price point".

Though, for myself, I am probably more likely to break out nice bottles on weekends for the sole reason that I will have more time to enjoy it and hopefully less on my mind.

Ironically, there is another value category I find utility for as well, but that has nothing to do with the wines I listed. That is wines that are inexpensive and that will suit a variety of non-wino tastes, wines that can be served at parties in large quantities. This is a category where I believe, for example, that easily sourced Spanish garnachas such as Borsao or Fuego work very well. But I don't drink those in my normal rotation.

All of the wines I listed are, IMO, excellent wines, regardless of their prices, and I thoroughly enjoy them all.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Right now I like 2009 Marietta Alexander Valley Cabernet. Still needs time but at $11.50 wholesale is a great buy.

I really liked the Marietta old vines red blend for barbecues this summer. $11 locally.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the 2009 Grand Estate Amitage last night. It is
63% Merlot 33% Syrah 4% Cabernet Franc .
WS gives it 89 pts. For $9 that is a pretty good wine.
But, I didn't think so much of it. Rather than complex, I'd call it a bit confused. I am not sure the blend works so well. My wife, however, liked it, and she has a better palate than I.

99% of lawyers give the rest of us a bad name.

Posts: 7190 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had the Tilia 2011 Malbec last night. I thought it was excellent, especially at 9 bucks. Going to get a couple cases asap.

Posts: 2300 | Location: NH Seacoast | Registered: Oct 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything from Bila-Haut.

Posts: 1708 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:
But, I didn't think so much of it. Rather than complex, I'd call it a bit confused. I am not sure the blend works so well. My wife, however, liked it, and she has a better palate than I.

Adding Syrah to the traditional Bordeaux blend has become a trend for Washington wineries aiming for sub-$20 wines with a rich impact.
I find that in almost every case I prefer either the Bordeaux grapes without the Syrah, or Syrah by itself.
Nevertheless, it makes good party and event wine. Bookwalter Notebook, Dunham Three Legged Red, and Tamarack Firehouse Red are $15ish examples. 14 Hands Hot to Trot is really cheap, and hot not in a good way, but pleases those taking a step up for Yellow Tail.

Posts: 2319 | Registered: Jul 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2011 La Cartuja $14
2010 Tres Picos $13

Simply great wines for the $$$$

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jul 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most of what Cameron Hughes offers!!

Posts: 1704 | Location: Just outside Philadelphia, Pa. | Registered: Feb 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been drinking a ton of Bila Haut lately, can't believe how good it is for the price.

Posts: 218 | Location: Canada | Registered: Aug 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jonanator:
I've been drinking a ton of Bila Haut lately, can't believe how good it is for the price.

+1!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37019 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pape du neuf:
quote:
Originally posted by irwin:

Adding Syrah to the traditional Bordeaux blend has become a trend for Washington wineries aiming for sub-$20 wines with a rich impact.
I find that in almost every case I prefer either the Bordeaux grapes without the Syrah, or Syrah by itself.

+1

Irwin, I had the same impression as you on the CC Armitage.

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Analyst:
My definition of an every day wine is one that I will serve guests who have no appreciation for good wine. I don't want to waste a good bottle, but I also don't want to suffer through some nasty tasting plonk. My go to reds are both Spanish:

Beso de Vino $10 @ LCBO
La Casona $9 @ LCBO

+1 on the beso de vino.
Not yielding much on the nose, but the taste is good for the price

Victory loves preparation.

Posts: 282 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post