WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Your Best QPR Weekday Wine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Best QPR Weekday Wine
 Login/Join 
posted
Folks

What's been your best weekday wine, from a quality to price ratio perspective?

Let's define weekday wine (for most of us) as a wine that ranges in price from $10 to $50.

Here's one:

2007 Marchesi De Frescobaldi Tenuta di Castiglioni Toscana IGT, which I rated a 92, which at $23 in Canada is a good QPR. A good to day quaffing wine.

Any others?

Jhcolman

I have enjoyed great health at a great age because everyday since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine except when I have not felt well. Then I have consumed two bottles. - Bishop of Seville

Posts: 868 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Jul 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red - 2009 Villa Mt. Eden Sonoma County Pinot Noir. I can get it here for just under $20 before discounts, though only one or two stores carry it. About as tasty as it can get - very complex and rich for a sub-$20 PN.

White - 2010 Charles Krug Carneros Chardonnay. Rich, round, more fleshy than most current chards which are trending more to the acidic, minerally inox style. $15 here before discounts and very readily available.

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear. "
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 10, 1787

Posts: 3848 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: Nov 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Under 20 (b/c to me $50 is totally not even close to a weekday wine, but obviously ymmv)

Domaine Guion Bourgieul Domaine or Prestige

Pepiere Muscadet, sur lie or Briords

Baudry, domaine or Granges

C&P Breton Vouvray

Chidaine Vouvray

Pichot Vouvray

Roilette Fleurie

Potel Aviron, all

Posts: 477 | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To Sleepy's add:

Pierre Chermette Vissoux Beaujolais

JP Brun Beaujolais, anything

Famille Laurent Saint Pourçain

Cave des Vignerons de Saumur

Bodegas Olarra Cerro Anon Crianza - Rioja

CVNE Crianza - Rioja

Qupe Central Coast Syrah

Abad Dom Mencia

Leitz Dragonstone Riesling

Luneau-Papin Muscadet

Mauro Molino Barbera

Marchesi di Barolo Barbera

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2666 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Almost any CdR

The Vouvrays of Chateau Moncontour and Vincent Careme

Almost any wine from Jumilla

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37027 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For under $20, a lot of good South American cabs, malbecs, and blends. For example, Susan Balbo Signature Cab 2010 - paid $14 recently.

Posts: 30 | Registered: Nov 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Petrus, Le Pin, Lafite...the usuals.

Posts: 894 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Aug 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my best 'house red' for the past year has been the Cocci Grifoni Le Torri and the plan pegau seleccion laurence feraud.

still searching for a good white to complement them.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 08, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
while I sell this wine now,

I find the Gomariz Loureiro to be my goto white in my household now.

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12387 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhcolman:

Here's one:

2007 Marchesi De Frescobaldi Tenuta di Castiglioni Toscana IGT, which I rated a 92, which at $23 in Canada is a good QPR. A good to day quaffing wine.

Jhcolman

+1

Victory loves preparation.

Posts: 282 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: Nov 02, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For weekday consumption I tend to go to Italy for reds, my preference being wines based on montepulciano, negroamaro, or sangiovese. For whites; alsace, germany, or chile.

http://thewinenerds.ca/

Posts: 759 | Location: Toronto, Ontario (Etobicoke) | Registered: Oct 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't really buy into the daily drinker or weekday wine concept, but I found an extremely fine $25 bottle of wine and just went back for a case. It's the 2009 Domaine La Garrigue, Vacqueyras, Cuvee de l'Hostellerie. This is outstanding wine from a top estate in Vacqueyras that is worth a visit if you're in the area. The people at the winery are hospitable and locals were arriving frequently to buy by the case. This is a 93 or 94 point wine with a future!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 37027 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been enjoying the 2011 Borsao Garnacha lately. $7 locally. I give it a long decant, 6-10 hours.

-IB

"Wine only turns into alcohol if you let it sit."---Lindsay Bluth

Posts: 8894 | Location: The Circle City | Registered: Nov 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pick up the Columbia Crest Horse Heaven Hills once in a while. I like it quite a bit.

Posts: 1272 | Location: Scottsdale AZ/Midway UT | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of Borsao, the Tres Picos is a good $13 Qpr as well.

Posts: 9488 | Location: minneapolis minnesota usa | Registered: Dec 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

You're itb now? Congrats.

Posts: 1511 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mpls wine guy:
Speaking of Borsao, the Tres Picos is a good $13 Qpr as well.

Great choice.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Aurora, IL | Registered: Jul 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For reds, a number of different CdRs, and a couple of Vietti Barberas.

For whites I've really been enjoying a 2009 Gustave Lorentz Pinot Gris Reserve and whatever vintage is current for Argiolas Vermentino. I wish there were more Vermentinos available around here to try. I like them a great deal.

"Wine, one sip of this will bathe the drooping spirits in delight beyond the bliss of dreams. Be wise and taste."
- Milton

Posts: 3496 | Location: NW Suburbs of Chicago | Registered: Aug 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vina Eguia and Conde de Valdemar Rioja Reservas for $12 - $15.

Nugan Reserve Chardonnay for about $18.

Posts: 8766 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dunder:
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:

You're itb now? Congrats.

more like pissing my money away ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 12387 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Delas st. Esprit cdr @ $10
Chateau Cambis cdr (vignerons du charactere) @ $8

All by the cases.

Posts: 522 | Location: Michigan | Registered: Aug 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
2007 Domaine de Mourchon Cotes du Rhone Villages. $32 in Vancouver.

I also really like the 2007 Domaine Brusset Gigondas Tradition Le Grand Montmirail. $34 in Vancouver. I only have 5 left and can't buy this vintage now.

Posts: 139 | Registered: Nov 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does everyone really have that much of the same wine to drink during the week? We hardly ever worry about how much a wine costs depending on the day, it depends on what we feel like at the moment.

We do have "daily drinkers", but we drink them because that's what we have most of. Our dailies include Santa Barbara wines, Napa wines, and a few Washington wines. They include Beckman, Zaca Mesa, Blackjack Ranch and Ojai, and Vincent Arroyo, Envy, Stefania, Steltzner, Rutherford Ranch, Rubissow (they had a sale), older Double Diamond (WineBid), Quivet, Qupe, O'Brien, Madonna, Gustavo Thrace, Gulliams, EOS, Chad, and Benevolo. We have few wines that we have a full case of.

If we feel like opening one of our few big guns, it doesn't matter if it's a Tuesday night. Our big guns don't include first growth Bordeaux, Burgundy, or Screaming Eagle.

Sitting around with nothing to do is great until you have to do it. - Dave's daughter

Posts: 452 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: Aug 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that I drink wine every day, but I think I've got you all beat for a QPR.

There has been many posts here about the QPR of Columbia-Crest wines, from the Grand Estates cab and merlots, the H3's, and the Walter Clores. But this is by far the best bang for the buck, imo.
Now click this, and check out the price--
Columbia-Crest Two Vines Vineyard 10 Red

Before you poo-poo it, let me tell you that WA wines are probably predominant in my cellar right now. Most are in the $35-$65 range, some higher. And I still buy and drink a lot of the Vineyard 10. It is better than many $25+ blends I've had from anywhere. And that price just stumps me! That must barely pay for the bottle and label; I don't know how they do it?

Turkey bacon is the reason I have trust issues.

Posts: 6849 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Life is too short to drink cheap wine..........

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post