WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Score! Garagiste mystery case / garage sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Score! Garagiste mystery case / garage sale
 Login/Join 
posted
Long time no post for me, but this was too cool for me not to say something...

Anyway, just got my 2012 Garagiste mystery case at the $250 level. For those that don't know, every couple years, Garagiste puts on a sale where you put in to buy a mysterey mixed case at several price levels - I think this year they were $250, $600 and ???can't remember??? They basically are clearing out unsaleable small lots they have hanging around. You have no knowledge of what you'll get but there were some teasers thrown into the offer - for example, at the highest level, there was going to be a few bottles of DRC, etc., that kind of thing. The general "guarantee" is that you'll get wine that in aggregate value far exceeds what you pay, but that not every bottle will be over a certain amount.

Last time, in 2010, I put in for a case but didn't get one (there are more requests than cases). This year however I scored - for $250 I got:
07 V Telegraphe La Crau
06 Vajra Lange Kye (fresia)
06 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spat trocken
07 St Siffrein CdP
09 Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny
04 Morey-Blanc Meursault Gouttes d'Or (1er)
10 Gangloff St Joseph blanc
10 Gangloff Condrieu
07 Huet Clos du Bourg sec
nv Les Cretes Coteau La Tour (vino da tavola)
09 Bize Sav.les Beaune Les Talmettes (1er)
09 Billon cote rotie Les Elotins

While putting these into cellartracker, I added up the CT average purchase price for each and came up with $590. And even if the economic value wasn't as great as it is, I like exploring and am looking forward to drinking my way through all of these, particularly the whites.

"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes..."
Lt Frank Drebin

Posts: 748 | Location: St Louis, MO | Registered: Feb 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I was not so lucky; see the posting under 'What are you buying', Got the $600 case, pretty disappointed.

Posts: 144 | Location: Near NW of Chicago IL | Registered: Jun 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USCF - Yeah, I looked at your post, and it does look like my case fought above its weight and yours perhaps lower. We had a couple of the same or very similar wines (german, white rhone and burg) but you did get a couple nice brunelli and the 09 Rausan segla should be good (in a decade or so, lol).

Hope my post didn't come across as boasting, I was just pretty psyched; a couple years ago I got blanked when I put in for a couple of these cases.

Posts: 748 | Location: St Louis, MO | Registered: Feb 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Posts: 1665 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As posted in other thread, I would have been psyched to get that Cerbaiona

Posts: 5965 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

Big +1!

Posts: 801 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put in for 2 cases at the $250 level but got nada.

Posts: 2550 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like your case, SquirrelJam. Les Cretes. Cool

Posts: 8723 | Location: North CA | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SJ, not at all. I find it very interesting as to what the different cases are. On mine, some you win and some you lose, next time!

Posts: 144 | Location: Near NW of Chicago IL | Registered: Jun 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
quote:

Big +1!

The 1999 was unbelievably amazing and ridiculously underscored by Suckling

Posts: 5965 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ridiculously underscored by Suckling

Is this possible??? He seems to be 90+ on everything with a cork and label. Razz

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2946 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proably scored it 8 years ago - I think an 89 - I think the all missed the boat on this wine as we had it both in 2004 and this past Jnauary and it was stellar

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
quote:

Big +1!

The 1999 was unbelievably amazing and ridiculously underscored by Suckling

Yes, although he has a tendency to underscore some of the more classical producers (Soldera, Cerbaiona, etc.) and overscore less classical producers. I haven't had a bad Cerbaiona (small sample size, mind you).

Posts: 801 | Location: Toronto | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post