WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Score! Garagiste mystery case / garage sale
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Score! Garagiste mystery case / garage sale
 Login/Join 
posted
Long time no post for me, but this was too cool for me not to say something...

Anyway, just got my 2012 Garagiste mystery case at the $250 level. For those that don't know, every couple years, Garagiste puts on a sale where you put in to buy a mysterey mixed case at several price levels - I think this year they were $250, $600 and ???can't remember??? They basically are clearing out unsaleable small lots they have hanging around. You have no knowledge of what you'll get but there were some teasers thrown into the offer - for example, at the highest level, there was going to be a few bottles of DRC, etc., that kind of thing. The general "guarantee" is that you'll get wine that in aggregate value far exceeds what you pay, but that not every bottle will be over a certain amount.

Last time, in 2010, I put in for a case but didn't get one (there are more requests than cases). This year however I scored - for $250 I got:
07 V Telegraphe La Crau
06 Vajra Lange Kye (fresia)
06 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spat trocken
07 St Siffrein CdP
09 Mugnier Chambolle-Musigny
04 Morey-Blanc Meursault Gouttes d'Or (1er)
10 Gangloff St Joseph blanc
10 Gangloff Condrieu
07 Huet Clos du Bourg sec
nv Les Cretes Coteau La Tour (vino da tavola)
09 Bize Sav.les Beaune Les Talmettes (1er)
09 Billon cote rotie Les Elotins

While putting these into cellartracker, I added up the CT average purchase price for each and came up with $590. And even if the economic value wasn't as great as it is, I like exploring and am looking forward to drinking my way through all of these, particularly the whites.

"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes..."
Lt Frank Drebin

Posts: 748 | Location: St Louis, MO | Registered: Feb 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, I was not so lucky; see the posting under 'What are you buying', Got the $600 case, pretty disappointed.

Posts: 209 | Location: Near NW of Chicago IL | Registered: Jun 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USCF - Yeah, I looked at your post, and it does look like my case fought above its weight and yours perhaps lower. We had a couple of the same or very similar wines (german, white rhone and burg) but you did get a couple nice brunelli and the 09 Rausan segla should be good (in a decade or so, lol).

Hope my post didn't come across as boasting, I was just pretty psyched; a couple years ago I got blanked when I put in for a couple of these cases.

Posts: 748 | Location: St Louis, MO | Registered: Feb 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow.

Posts: 2629 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As posted in other thread, I would have been psyched to get that Cerbaiona

Posts: 7490 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jcocktosten:

Big +1!

Posts: 945 | Location: Munich | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I put in for 2 cases at the $250 level but got nada.

Posts: 2703 | Location: Danville, CA | Registered: Apr 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like your case, SquirrelJam. Les Cretes. Cool

Posts: 9166 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SJ, not at all. I find it very interesting as to what the different cases are. On mine, some you win and some you lose, next time!

Posts: 209 | Location: Near NW of Chicago IL | Registered: Jun 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
quote:

Big +1!

The 1999 was unbelievably amazing and ridiculously underscored by Suckling

Posts: 7490 | Location: South Florida | Registered: Dec 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ridiculously underscored by Suckling

Is this possible??? He seems to be 90+ on everything with a cork and label. Razz

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 3397 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Proably scored it 8 years ago - I think an 89 - I think the all missed the boat on this wine as we had it both in 2004 and this past Jnauary and it was stellar

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by shavez:
quote:

Big +1!

The 1999 was unbelievably amazing and ridiculously underscored by Suckling

Yes, although he has a tendency to underscore some of the more classical producers (Soldera, Cerbaiona, etc.) and overscore less classical producers. I haven't had a bad Cerbaiona (small sample size, mind you).

Posts: 945 | Location: Munich | Registered: Aug 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I gave this a shot this year. Cases were $200 and $1K, so quite a difference there. I dipped my toe with the $200 one, and picked it up today. However, none of these wines am I familiar with:

2013 Domaine de Fontavin Cotes du Rhone
NV Haute Cot(e) de Fruit, Vin de Cahores
2004 Le Clos d'un Jour
2013 Mocine Toscana
2014 Domaine Ledogar La Compagnon
2011 Elizabeth Chambers Pinot Noir Willamette Valley Freedom Hill Vineyard
2011 Cheverny
2014 Clos Signadore Patrimonio
2009 Mastro Janni Brunello di Montalcino
2009 Il Marroneto Brunello di Montalcino
2010 Paul Jaboulet Cornas Domaine de Saint Pierre
2010 Coulee de Serrant Chenin Blanc

Hopefully something in here drinks well.

“Heat, pressure, and time. The three things that make a diamond, also make a waffle.”

Posts: 7496 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mneeley490:

Unless something has changed in the two years since I visited the area, Nicolas Joly is the only producer in the Coulee de Serrant appellation. Unique, but pricey, wines it sounds like the one you got is the entry level label, but a strong vintage.

The two Brunello producers are good and those bottles should be OK for drinking sooner than later.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Dec 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I recall I got some nice bottles and a couple of dogs in each $250 case, I think I got 3. Overall, I thought it was a great lottery. Being of a statistical background I passed on it this time but will look for the next one. One super dog I got was a vegan biodynamic organic something or other that I'm still trying to befriend someone to give it to, but a few cote roties more than made up for that mishap.

Champagne for my real friends and real pain for my sham friends.
-Tom Waits

Posts: 209 | Registered: Jan 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

Unless something has changed in the two years since I visited the area, Nicolas Joly is the only producer in the Coulee de Serrant appellation. Unique, but pricey, wines it sounds like the one you got is the entry level label, but a strong vintage.

The two Brunello producers are good and those bottles should be OK for drinking sooner than later.

I think that's right. Joly has his own AOC as a monopole in Savennières. His wines are interesting and probably the epitome of the Garagiste type. He's a really engaging guy - the wines are hit or miss but he has a whole cult following so drink that wine with some wine geek friends.

Actually the Mastrojianni does pretty well with some time too. It's good wine and not over priced for Brunello. I still have most of a case from 1990 that's quite good. It's owned by Illy for the past few years, but they kept the wine making team. I talked to the wine maker at some random event a few years ago and then ran into her again a few weeks later - she said that they were basically left entirely alone to do what they needed to but that they were given additional resources if needed. Sounds like a good way not to ruin a wine so kudos to the Illy family.

The Jaboulet is a good one too - I think it will want some time though. And the Ledogar I had once at a large event in France. Can't remember anything about it other than it's some guys who are kind of disciples of Joly but they're in the south of France and less well-known so the wine is a lot cheaper than his. There are a few people down there who are doing the biodynamic thing, trying to get away from the cheap wine reputation. It would be worth trying just for pedagogical purposes and may even be good.

Don't know any of the others. Good luck with those. Let us know how they are. Here's hoping you didn't get hosed!

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 3191 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve8:
quote:

The Serrant does indeed say Nicholas Joly. And the back label touts it as a biodynamic wine. This magnificent natural "wine of place" is best enjoyed at 55° F after a vigorous decantation. It is normally capable of decades of development in a proper cellar.

“Heat, pressure, and time. The three things that make a diamond, also make a waffle.”

Posts: 7496 | Location: Everett, WA | Registered: Mar 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This looks interesting - I will sign up for future releases.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Jun 24, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vertigo888:
This looks interesting - I will sign up for future releases.

They only do the mystery cases every couple years. If you sign up, be very careful of the hyperbole. I'm not saying that some wines aren't a great deal. But most of the wines they offer would fall into the 85-89 point area, and they make everything sound like it's THE BEST WINE EVER!

posted Hide Post
Future releases of Joly wine or the Garagiste thing?

I'm leery of some guy walking down the aisle and putting random bottles into a box assuming that I'll be thrilled with his stellar palate and extraordinary sense of what I'll like. It's why I never participated in those things.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 3191 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ordered a few things from Garagiste a while back including one mystery case.

Stopped buying because while they sometimes do have some gems to offer, I wound up with interesting juice (stuff I wouldn't normally buy or even know about which made it somewhat fun) but stuff I wound up not enjoying very much

And, like MNeeley mentioned, the hyperbole in virtually everyone of their email announcements got to be a little too much to tolerate in their every day (or almost every day I think) emails

Posts: 4099 | Location: Boston | Registered: Jun 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
2013 Domaine de Fontavin Cotes du Rhone
NV Haute Cot(e) de Fruit, Vin de Cahores
2004 Le Clos d'un Jour
2013 Mocine Toscana
2014 Domaine Ledogar La Compagnon
2011 Elizabeth Chambers Pinot Noir Willamette Valley Freedom Hill Vineyard
2011 Cheverny Cloudy and corked. 0 pts.
2014 Clos Signadore Patrimonio
2009 Mastro Janni Brunello di Montalcino
2009 Il Marroneto Brunello di Montalcino
2010 Paul Jaboulet Cornas Domaine de Saint Pierre Sour cherry and plum, medium tannins, decent finish. 87 pts.