WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    New WS WineRatings+ App
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New WS WineRatings+ App
 Login/Join 
posted
So, I was excited to see that an update was available for the WS iPhone app and quickly downloaded it. It promised easy access to the WS tasting note archive. Much to my dismay, it turns out I can only access the tasting notes if I subscribe to a $2.99 monthly fee! I already have an online subscription, so I can access ratings on my phone using my web browser, but it's cumbersome to log in. If anyone at Spectator is reading this, how about discounted or free access to the full app for existing online subscribers?

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh wow, I had thought it was tied to my regular WineSpectator.com subscription. I can confirm that you are correct.

Posts: 740 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: Oct 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! A nice app and I can understand the monthly fee on its' own, but making it add'l to the subscription? (not cool) Roll Eyes

Posts: 15428 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You nailed it...stupid. It continues to amaze me how some companies handle their business.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Chicago | Registered: Apr 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. Ultimate in stupidity to make paying customers pay again.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Nov 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Similar issue with the digital version of the magazine. You should be able to access it electronically if you have the hard copy subscription for example like the Economist does. However, in this case you have to pay another subscription also.

Crazy

"The hardest thing to attain ... is the appreciation of difference without insisting on superiority" George Saintsbury

Posts: 1547 | Location: DC Suburbs, Potomac MD. | Registered: Dec 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm also pissed at WS. What a rip off. Already pay for the online version, and then get sucked into and other $ 36 per year. either give it to me FREE or get out of the money racking business. Mad Mad Horse

Live simply, Laugh often, Wine a lot!!!

Posts: 6281 | Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL | Registered: Nov 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSC02:
...not cool....

Not cool indeed. This should have been offered as an enhancement for those already paying. We have access to the data, although as the OP correctly state it's cumbersome to get to. So, to allow us convenient access to data we're already entitled to we must pay. Again. Humbug.

PH

Posts: 15018 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't believe you guys are b!tching about getting soaked for an additional $2.99 a month. What do you think this is? Communist China? This is AMERICA jack! Pony up or piss off. Marv daddy needs a new pair of shoes!

Joe
-----
Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ www.wineismylife.net

Posts: 13457 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I loaded it on my iPhone and it works very well, and glad I bought it.

I do not subscribe to their online services.

Posts: 30033 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's it, I'm never buying screaming eagle again!!!

oh wait. wrong thread

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11856 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wine+art:

Now that I come to think of it, the primary reason I signed up for the online service years ago was to gain access to their wine reviews. Now that you mention it, I can save $$$ by cancelling my online access and just subscribing to the app! Winner

PH

Posts: 15018 | Location: Maryland, USA (DC suburbs) | Registered: Nov 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PurpleHaze:
quote:

Now that I come to think of it, the primary reason I signed up for the online service years ago was to gain access to their wine reviews. Now that you mention it, I can save $$$ by cancelling my online access and just subscribing to the app! Winner

PH

that's actually what i was thinking ;-)

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11856 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the people saying its tough to log into the site via cell phone, what do you have? I have an iphone and I just leave WS open all the time in my browser. I actually do the same with espn so I dont have to log in and out.

I agree its weak sauce to charge subscribers for something they already have already paid to have access to.

Posts: 4476 | Location: Jupiter, Fl | Registered: Mar 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those who bought the $2.99 service for the App, can you describe what it does, ease of use, etc...?

Posts: 6439 | Location: Palm Beach | Registered: Nov 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. You will have to show it to me Wednesday. I have reached that point of cheapness where I don't buy apps unless I have actually seen them.

quote:

GG

Posts: 274 | Location: Galveston, TX | Registered: Apr 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

PH

That's a great idea. My online subscription expires soon.

Punch it , Chewie!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Edmonton | Registered: Jul 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aren't you guys the same people who don't purchase wines without tasting them? Then why the appeal for having online access to wine reviews through your phone? Smile

Posts: 5092 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Aug 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoubleD:
Aren't you guys the same people who don't purchase wines without tasting them? Then why the appeal for having online access to wine reviews through your phone? Smile

Confused...not sure what that means?

It is an useful tool. I know Longboarder and I were recently at dinner trying to recall how an older vintage rated, and an easy tool to use.

I like to use it at restaurants for tasting notes for wines that grab my attention, and I killed an hour recently on the plane reading their WS360 which is part of the app.

Posts: 30033 | Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM | Registered: Feb 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are we really complaining about $3 a month? We spend more on cooking wine than the average wine drinker spends on the wine they consume! Looks like a good amount of work went into it so I can see why they don’t want to just give it away. If you use it a couple of times a month, I think it’s totally worth it.

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It ain't about the money, GlennK. No one here would be hurt by the $3 a month. It's like a baggage charge. We thought we'd already paid....for that.

PH

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBJ2012FinalsMVPisclutch:
To the people saying its tough to log into the site via cell phone, what do you have? I have an iphone and I just leave WS open all the time in my browser. I actually do the same with espn so I dont have to log in and out.

I agree its weak sauce to charge subscribers for something they already have already paid to have access to.

You're right. I've been foolishly using the regular website on Safari on my iPhone which is cumbersome, but the mobile site works much better.

Punch it , Chewie!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

PH

+1
Came to the same conclusion earlier. I will not be renewing my online account.
Thank you for saving me money WS Smile

Posts: 15428 | Location: Montreal, QC | Registered: Feb 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
It ain't about the money, GlennK. No one here would be hurt by the $3 a month. It's like a baggage charge. We thought we'd already paid....for that.

PH
Yeah, I can see that point now that I think about it. I guess it’s the same information but just in a more user friendly format.

Posts: 6441 | Location: OC, CA  | Registered: Aug 01, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I selected the pay option and have been playing with it for awhile now. Very good. I like it alot. I won't miss the online subscription at all for what I value most about WS.