WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Wine Shipping - Need Help
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wine Shipping - Need Help
 Login/Join 
posted
The Ohio laws for wine shipping state "Wineries producing up to but no more than 250,000 gallons annually are required to have a direct-to-consumer shipping permit. Wineries producing more than 250,000 gallons annually are prohibited from shipping to Ohio consumers."

What I am wondering is if businesses have to abide by this law? Can I ship to a wine storage facility in Ohio, rent a locker, and store my wine there leagally, regardless of how many gallons the winery I buy from produces?

Thanks for any and all help!!

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In a word, No.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 749 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I am wondering is if businesses have to abide by this law?

Confused
What on earth are you thinking? Why would business NOT have to abide by the law?

Welcome to the screwed up world of wine selling in the US. You're one more person who's scratching his head wondering WTF.

Write your Congressman, Senator, Assemblyman and anyone else you can think of. It's completely asinine the way wine is sold in the United States - there are fifty sovereign states, each with its own requirements, and within those states there may even be additional atomization. You as the customer are simply screwed.

Pay attention to Dan - he's one of the advocates for consumers and is usually up to date on the rules and regs.

BTW - if you write, you might want to know from your representative exactly what the significance of the 250,000 gallons happens to be. Guaranteed your rep won't have any clue whatsoever and guaranteed whatever answer you get is complete BS.

"The best part is how he said the ENGLISH language. Fine irony. Use American next time."

Posts: 2594 | Location: NY | Registered: Dec 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a new consumer group forming

The American Wine Consumer Coalition. Not sure of there is a website yet, but I know that there is a facebook page.

Every American Wine Consumer ought to be signing up to fight these "wonderful" laws that Greg speaks of.

Where we are headed in this country is truly horrifying and right now, consumers have no say. The wholesalers of this country are dominating the lawmaking map of the wine world, and if things do not change for the better, wait till you see how difficult it is to get the wines that you want in just 10 years.

Daniel Posner
www.grapesthewineco.com-
"But is anyone speaking for consumers' best interest? One liquor store owner, Daniel Posner of Grapes the Wine Company..."-Wine Spectator
"One of the most important retailers in the country"-Wall Street Journal, November 2010
"(T)hese are the kind of posts we've come to expect from NY Retailer."-Board-O
"You're not here to help us. You're here to help yourself..."-Board-O
"You a liar and your motives here are clear to all. Let me repeat- you are a liar."-Board-O

Posts: 749 | Location: New York | Registered: May 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What on earth are you thinking? Why would business NOT have to abide by the law?

I guess its hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that no retailer, no wine shop or grocery store, has a bottle form a vineyard that produces 250,000 gallons or more.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Dec 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 3Barrel:
quote:

I guess its hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that no retailer, no wine shop or grocery store, has a bottle form a vineyard that produces 250,000 gallons or more.

I'm making an assumption that NYR, like myself, read your original question as to be regarding a non retailer buying wine and shipping to a business address, such as me ordering wine as a gift for customers using a company credit card and shipping to my office. That would fall in the same category of you buying wine and shipping to a storage facility in Ohio.

In your last post you mention wine retailers and grocery stores, but they operate differently, most likely through a supply chain involving distributors that CAN purchase from a wider range of wineries while abiding by the state's laws. Different type of purchase, different set of laws.

The main issue is, the distributors, and due to their contributions the state's legislators, want you to buy from those involved in that supply chain rather than direct so the distributors and retailers can get a cut of your purchase.

Jim
That's, RedLoverJim to you

Posts: 97 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: Mar 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post