WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    Pretty cool...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pretty cool...
 Login/Join 
posted
So check this out....

Penfolds wants to fly all the way from Australia to use our wine cellar for a photo shoot for pretty much one wine...the Grange, of course.
So, a deal was negotiated last week and they will be here all day Monday and Tuesday hanging with me in the cellar. Part of the deal includes 2 cases of Grange. Now....it would be illegal for us to sell this, so it looks like this wine will end up in our own cellars at home.
Not bad....

Posts: 142 | Registered: Aug 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome! Mixed vintages or all current?

Posts: 8648 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, it's just the one vintage....2008.
It's pretty crazy though, as they had my cellar all rearranged in such fashion that when you look at the picks, you can't even tell it's the same cellar. They've got like a crew of 7 people here just to photograph 1 bottle of wine!
They're pretty cool Aussies though. There's a couple of reps from the winery here too and they were saying they wanted me to sit down with them tomorrow night when the shoot's complete and we can all crack open a few bottles. I expressed some concern over bottleshock, but she said they took great care in the transport of the wine, so I guess we'll see!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bordeaux4Wino:
There's a couple of reps from the winery here too and they were saying they wanted me to sit down with them tomorrow night when the shoot's complete and we can all crack open a few bottles. I expressed some concern over bottleshock, but she said they took great care in the transport of the wine, so I guess we'll see!

Be careful with Australians, they may only leave you with a bottle or two. Wink

It also may be cool to introduce them to some wines from the states.

Posts: 8648 | Registered: May 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty cool indeed !

You must have a nice cellar Wink

Posts: 803 | Location: Montréal, Canada | Registered: Dec 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you enter your cellar in a contest? If not, how did they pick your cellar? Either way, this is pretty cool!

Posts: 1289 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: Feb 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely cool. Do you live in Australia?

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return."

Posts: 1892 | Registered: Feb 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats, have fun with the wine

Posts: 1213 | Location: Scottsdale AZ/Midway UT | Registered: Jun 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gkapoor:
Did you enter your cellar in a contest? If not, how did they pick your cellar? Either way, this is pretty cool!

No, there was no contest. We just got a call from them that they scouted numerous venues and wanted to use our cellar. They must have had stock photos or just used the web. I'm not sure. Maybe I'll ask them today.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Primordialsoup:

No, No, I'm in NY State.....not sure why my location never shows up...huh.
Anyway, they came a long way.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spo:
quote:
There's a couple of reps from the winery here too and they were saying they wanted me to sit down with them tomorrow night when the shoot's complete and we can all crack open a few bottles. I expressed some concern over bottleshock, but she said they took great care in the transport of the wine, so I guess we'll see!

Be careful with Australians, they may only leave you with a bottle or two. Wink
Ha...surprisingly, they weren't drinking much last night in the pub after they were done working for the day! Maybe they will tonight.

It also may be cool to introduce them to some wines from the states.

Yeah, I was talking to them about US wine. They really don't know much outside of Aus...I was kinda surprised. Then, last night, the rep was having a glass of semi-dry Riesling from the Finger Lakes, and she asked the server in the pub where all the RS came from! The server explained as I had trained him, but when he reported back to me, I thought that was weird. Huh.

posted Hide Post
Last night, after the photo shoot, I along with the 7 person crew cracked the bottle open and drank of its glorious blood and it was damn good.
Now, when the ad campaign comes out for the 08 Grange, I will know that I actually helped consume THAT bottle of wine!

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Oh wait, I recall this,

btw you never emailed me or i never got it
can you shoot me again please?

ghiman a@t
gmail.com

This message has been edited. Last edited by: g-man,

This is my sig -> www.brownteacup.com
www.wsqwine.com
(Wine distributor)

Posts: 11647 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by g-man:
quote:
quote:

Oh wait, I recall this,

btw you never emailed me or i never got it
can you shoot me again please?

ghiman a@t
gmail.com

I was supposed to e-mail you??? I didn't remember that, but sure...I'll shoot one off...

posted Hide Post
So, this was kinda funny, so I thought I'd revisit this.
A few days ago, I was leafing through the most recent copy of Wine Spect...or at least a fairly recent copy, the June 15th edition about the Mendocino Pinot country...and about a third of the way through, smack right there on a full 2-page spread is a pic of our wine cellar with a bottle of Penfold's Grange on a table with a cushy chair. Beautiful shot too! The POV is looking into the cellar from just outside the open door. All the labels on the racks behind the table are blurred, but it's funny, because I can mostly make out from the bottle shapes what's there. The shot includes the bays of new pinots, Bordeaux, Burg, and Rhone.
It was just kinda of surreal to see that...

posted Hide Post
Can you post or link us to some photos of your cellar?

Posts: 150 | Location: Vancouver | Registered: Apr 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VanCityWino:
Can you post or link us to some photos of your cellar?

Well, let's see if this works...The pics are a bit dated, but..

wine cellar

posted Hide Post
Haven't read the June edition yet, but I'm about to hop on a plane so will leaf through.

Posts: 1485 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome...congrats man!

Posts: 589 | Location: NYC | Registered: Feb 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish I'd known about your place earlier!
I'll be in Lake Placid next month celebrating my parents 50th at the Crowne Plaza Resort & Golf Club.

I sent a bunch of '63s (mostly port and a few BV GdLT and Krug VS) up for the party, but will definitely stop by your place for a glass or two!

Posts: 135 | Location: Los Angeles | Registered: Sep 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pics. Congrats. You must feel like a peacock.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 5589 | Registered: Jan 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is a very beautiful cellar!

Posts: 160 | Location: Birchwood, WI | Registered: Mar 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is magnificent!

Just one more sip.

Posts: 36743 | Location: NY | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was admiring that cellar in the ad before I even read this thread. Awesome. Where is that envy emoticom?

----------
Sometimes I read a thread and think we ran out of stuff to talk about like 4 years ago. ~spo

Posts: 2859 | Location: San Diego | Registered: Jan 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely gorgeous B4W - congratulations!

"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst..."

Posts: 1913 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: Sep 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post