WineSpectator.com    Wine Spectator Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Wine Conversations    when/how did you find wine?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

when/how did you find wine?
 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Seaquam, I have been away from this forum for a while so I just read this entire thread from beginning to end for the very first time.

Although Shane's situation seems to be a bit far fetched (although, still certainly possible), I completely agree with your assesment.

Besides, what IF he has been telling the truth? I would personally like to give the benefit of doubt that Shane is real. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what we think... If he is not telling the truth, he is only lying to himself. No one else has been hurt by it...

As for everyone's thoughts on his "story"? Well, I've heard of crazier things being true so why not this?

Just my huble opinion...

Posts: 10 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: Aug 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You suprise me Seaquam,
In meeting you in real life and discussing many controvercial things, I have found you a bit skeptical about people and wine, but on these forums you take a different approach.
I suspect, like myself 'Seaquam' is your alter-ego to a degree. Don't get me wrong, but that you may even slightly believe that Shane has fallen to some horrid fate is just suprising to me. You are a wonderful warm man, I don't mean to give the wrong impression here.
I don't care much for Shanes stories, and I don't think he's sincere at all. That he made tons of promises in the PNW Soiree posts and vanished make him subject to ridicule, at the very least.
We agree to disagree here, and if I infact have lodged my foot into my mouth for real here, you AND Bore-O will receive the digital pictures via email [Wink] .
Cheers,
Mishy

[ 09-06-2002, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Mishy ]

Posts: 2752 | Location: Kelowna, BC | Registered: Oct 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am skeptical, Mishy.

I don't necessarily "believe that Shane has fallen to some horrid fate." I only mention that all possibilities ought to be considered.

I understand that he made promises which he didn't fulfill. And I agree that he has been subject to ridicule.

And I think that if all that he wrote were no more than an elaborate fantasy that he concocted, then it's even more reason for us to perhaps be a bit sympathetic, and let him alone.

This isn't some sort of "alter-ego" thing for me, Mishy. If he's not defending himself, I don't believe it's right to continue attacking him, however mild we might perceive the attacks to be. That holds in real life for me, as well as on my favorite internet forum.

That's all.

Posts: 8572 | Location: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Oct 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I second what Seaquam has said.
I almost posted here in Shane's "defense" back when the thread was originally active, but didn't want to get into an unnecessary debate with some people who didn't know any better.
Regardless of where he is or why, what business is it of ours? Living in the same area, I can vouch for the accuracy of some places about which he wrote. Some of the claims sounded incredible to me, but overall I think he was sincere. I suspect he came into a trust fund or inheritance from grandparents.
I don't recall now if the King & Queen ever got his e-mail, or if so what happened to it, but I'd be glad to try to track him down.
Maybe he got tired of being the whipping boy.
Maybe we should give this gossip a rest.

Posts: 2059 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: Jan 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About the IT thing, what I was saying is we shouldn't keep our minds closed. He may not be in IT, but maybe he has inherited alot of mony. Or maybe he had a land-fall or something. I was saying that it is possible to have alot of money young. Maybe he is a superstar DJ, or some famous kid actor or something. That might explain leaving school and jet setting and going to all those flash places, as well as the excessive amounts of dosh. Personally I don't care. Look if the guy needs to make up stuff or not he has a right to ask for information, he just doesn't need to dress himself up thats all. I think we all agree that it sounds unbelievable, but maybe, just maybe it ain't and then is it really worth offending someone just because we didn't believe him, when it doesn't really matter if we do or not. Looking back at Shane's responses when he was given straight up answers he stopped blabbing on about how much he drank, what he dranbk and where he had been. It was only when he had been challenged about who he was that he started going into what he had done etc... In truth it just sounds like the guy/girl is looking for affirmation and wanted to fit in and be popular by being the rich guy with all the wine etc... Who knows, but I don't think we have to roast the guy, nor do we have to believe/disbelieve him. Maybe we should just answer his questions if he ever comes back and ignore all the other crap.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Auckland NZ | Registered: Aug 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shane is Ken Kesey.

Yes, we heard from him.

Posts: 2214 | Registered: Nov 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Queen of Hearts, we can assume Shane is all right if you heard from him recently. Are you being metaphoric calling him Ken? Or did Shane introduce himself with that name? Even more mysterious, could it be that Shane really is Ken Kesey, the psychedelic Merry Prankster from the 60s, author of "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest", who died of cancer last year at age 66?

It all appears so complicated. [Confused]

Posts: 142 | Location: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Could be. [Cool]

Posts: 2214 | Registered: Nov 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Okay even my patience is running out. Next he will be saying he was abducted by aliens and he had a great conversation with Elvis while he was on the far side of Mars. And then John Lenon commented that his knowledge of wine was soooo good, "Shane could you please teach me about wine, cause you drink soooo much really expensive wine, so you must know about it."

Posts: 1473 | Location: Auckland NZ | Registered: Aug 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Whoever he is, he's sitting back laughing his a$$ off at all of you for all this pointless debate over seemingly inane issues. [Roll Eyes]

Now for something completely different...

How's the weather in Seattle this week?

Posts: 1721 | Location: Fredericksburg, TX | Registered: May 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
can't say but its been damn brilliant here in NZ

posted Hide Post
I think Mishy's theory has a lot going for it. Presuming that there was some, or even a lot, of truth in Shane's posts (has anyone raised the diapers in the restaurant in the Dress codes thread?), it would explain the buckets of cash, the sudden disappearance, and other things.

And PE (and/or Queen), if you know something, let's hear it! You KNOW you want to tell us!! These Forums are for fun as much as anything else, and this Shane speculation would be much more fun if we had some actual hard data to stir into the pot!!!

Posts: 10725 | Location: Oakville Ontario | Registered: Jan 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my new alias. Mishy is not very stoked on me. I should have just gone up to the Soiree but I chickened out. I'm going to pay KOH not that that makes it right. I still read these forums every day. I have been drinking insane wine lately. I wish I could show all you non-believers my thousands of corks from before I turned 21. I'm going to make a very large corkboard out of the pre 21 corks. I would have to be truely delusional, (which I'm not), to make all of this up. I'm staring at my wine spectator collection that's been growing every week since I was 18. Wine is my love. You could call any of Olympias 4 nicest restaurant owners and they will confirm that. I'm also very far from jail Mishy. I live in a house on 81 acres with my own lake.

Posts: 56 | Location: Seattle | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok, Shanenw1,

Just checking to see if you are who you say you are.

You once posted your daughters name. What was it?

As for anyone else, who cares what they think or say. This is the internet, you can claim to be the benevolent dictator of a small banana republic for all I care. It really doesn't matter. smile

The only person who really cares what Mishy thinks is Mishy. confused

If you are who you say you are, welcome back. If you are not, you could have picked someone a little less controversial to assume the identity of! big grin

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corkmaster, you one crazy cat! How many corks do you have now ... tens of thousands? My ultimate goal is to have enough corks to swim in, just like Uncle Scrooge's money bin! Personally, if I were you, I would just reappear under a new alias and fake location, make no fuss and just forget about Shane.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Naperville, IL | Registered: Sep 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talia Rose.

Posts: 56 | Location: Seattle | Registered: Oct 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to hide other than being a little embarassed about missing the Soiree. I saw KOH and QOH on Emeril the other day. That was pretty funny stuff.

posted Hide Post
Is that you, the illustrious Shane? That would explain your post on the Dining forum. Most people don't drop $1,000.00 for a dinner of fish that is still wiggling at them.

Excess is best.

New forum so here is my new signature line.

Posts: 13627 | Location: Arlington, Texas | Registered: Aug 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Corkmaster -

Who cares?

Posts: 4420 | Location: San Ramon, California | Registered: May 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It was just funny to see someone i reckognized on Emeril.

posted Hide Post
No, I mean: who cares if you are/are not Shane? Who cares if you have been drinking "insane wines" lately? Unless you have something useful to contribute to these boards, your posts are nothing but chaff. So far, I think you are but a troll.

Posts: 4420 | Location: San Ramon, California | Registered: May 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe you.

At least I believe you are Shanenw1. smile

--------------------
"One may dislike carrots, spinach, beetroot, or the skin on hot milk. But not wine. It is like hating the air that one breathes, since each is equally indispensable."

Marcel Ayme`

Posts: 10227 | Location: The Left Coast | Registered: Dec 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously some people care, and you've made it point that you don't. All chaff aside I still love wine and appologize if you think that my writing about my love of wine makes me 'but a troll'. I do like your choice of words though. I've been getting into Martinelli Pinot's lately. My buddy works there and sends me up some nice bottles. A couple of weeks ago I tried my first Kistlers. I appreciate you people here for letting me know how good his Chards are. I was at a wine shop in Grand Rapids Michigan that has a large selection of Kistler Pinots and chards and hung out there every day. Kistlers Chardonnays are the best still white wines I've ever had.

posted Hide Post
I've heard stories of Sasquatch-like (ummm, nothing personal! cool ) "Shane sightings" at certain Napa Valley wineries and Vancouver restaurant(s).

There is incontrovertable evidence that he exists! Now, if we could only get him to come out and play ... big grin

Posts: 2800 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: Dec 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Napa Valley on Thursday for a week. cool